Ken Moody Safaris 27-Feb-19
DEMO-Bowhunter 28-Feb-19
Fuzzy 28-Feb-19
Franklin 28-Feb-19
Ken Moody Safaris 28-Feb-19
dallsheepstkr 28-Feb-19
Ken Moody Safaris 01-Mar-19
26-Jan-18
We have some outstanding offers now for bowhunting Cape Buffalo just off of Kruger National Park...the price is for two hunters booked in camp together but each hunting with their own PH. We can book single hunters but there is a price increase for just one client in camp...so, two hunters hunting two Cape Buffalo bulls, 7 days $17,800 total ($8900 each). Good bulls up to 38”. This is a walk and stalk hunt for wild KNP buffalo. You can add a buffalo cow for $1700 time permitting.

26-Jan-18

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Trail Cam photo from property.
Trail Cam photo from property.

26-Jan-18

Camp
Camp

26-Jan-18

Camp
Camp

26-Jan-18

Camp
Camp

26-Jan-18
Man, I don't know if I could rough it that bad:) Looks like an awesome hunt and deal for two guys, I am sure you will sell out fast! God Bless and keep us posted on the hunts!

26-Jan-18
Man this seems like an incredible opportunity.

26-Jan-18
oh man I wish...

26-Jan-18
That camp is nicer than my house. By a margin about as comfortable as that couch looks to be!

Not that I could even consider it, but what are the equipment requirements for recurve/long bows?

26-Jan-18
850gr arrow at 230 fps or better is optimum equipped with the original German Kinetics Broadhead.

26-Jan-18
850 gr at 230 fps? Lemmee see..... that should require about a 90 lb longbow ( or more ).

26-Jan-18
Sounds about right depending on draw length and bow composition, string material, etc.

27-Jan-18
That`s almost a 100 ft lbs. of Kinetic Energy.

27-Jan-18
I met Ken at a show once- good dude Edit- I dunno how those original question marks got there......I meant to imply that after talking with him for awhile, I think he is a good guy.

27-Jan-18

If you’re in the Louisville area stop by our booth and let’s talk about this and all our other offerings.

27-Jan-18
Man, not sure I have big enough stones to go on that hunt, just that trail cam pic is intimidating

Ben

27-Jan-18
Don’t worry. We’ve got you backed up with two double rifles and I shoot straight...most of the time, lol.

27-Jan-18
After 2 shoulder surgeries I will never draw that kind of weight. Sounds fun, good luck for the ones that can.

Scott

28-Jan-18
Sorry to hear that Scott. There are other options available to hunt buffalo if you’re ever interested.

28-Jan-18
You can actually get to the arrow weight with Easton FMJ 31” with a 210g silver flame broadhead, 75 grain brass insert and 4” vanes.

I can get the speed shooting 73# out of a Mathews Halon 32 drawing 30 1/2”.

That was my set up last year.

BTW, I have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders. I limit my practice sessions to about 12 arrows at a time.

Good luck.

28-Jan-18
Thanks Eric. It is not an impossible feat to achieve the set up we’ve found to be most effective on buffalo. We want you to kill your buffalo, we don’t want to have to follow up and shoot it. I’ve personally conducted over 300 buffalo hunts and my partner Fritz Rabe has PHed over 300 BOW buffalo hunts. He is the most proficient bowhunting PH in SA. There are none better. He is a bow technician, licensed gun smith, long range shooting instructor, and like me, a former military officer (paratrooper). You will be in good hands.

28-Jan-18

28-Jan-18
Jesus what a deal! To bad I I'v committed too another hunt. ;)

28-Jan-18
Well, we can always bring you up from the Cape to carry on for buffalo...think you can manage the heavy bow? Ha, ha.

28-Jan-18
Intersting proposal. I'll be using my 45 lb longbow with 356 grain arrow with expandable Rage head should work...........

28-Jan-18
I’ll alert my competition to be expecting your booking...

28-Jan-18
Lmao don't want to see the show?

28-Jan-18
Seriously if I can get the equipment right . Why the hell not I'm in the country anyways.

28-Jan-18
I agree

28-Jan-18
Of course we do! Lol

29-Jan-18

We’ve obviously had several inquiries about this hunt and some here are understandably having difficulty in securing a hunting partner to get the $8900 hunt price. I can sympathize with that. If you would be hunting alone please contact me and I’ll work up a rate for you that is still thousands of dollars below the average buffalo hunt. We are meeting with management there on the property tomorrow to try and exclusively secure the entire property and quota on all buffalo, crocodile, and hippo available.

Contact me if you’re interested in coming alone or if you’d like to discuss a Buffalo/Croc combo hunt, a Buffalo/Buffalo Cow combo hunt or even a two Buffalo bull combo package which we can do for less than a single buffalo hunt on a typical offering!

29-Jan-18
Pyrannah, I have a picture I took of a grizzly broadside looking at me that gives that same hair on the back of the neck standing up reaction as the buff pic above. Awesome.

29-Jan-18
Dave...you gonna hunt in just your undies again? haha....

29-Jan-18
If I can do the buff it just might be naked and bold lol

29-Jan-18

29-Jan-18
Well, Dave is hunting the Western Cape in December this year. Perfect time for that venue but then back up to us in the lowveldt for buffalo around KNP for Buffalo...we may all be in our underwear at that time of year, lol.

29-Jan-18
Lol and I'll have the whitest legs lol

30-Jan-18

We’ve closed the deal today on this area and now we own it exclusively so all hunting here will be with us. The property is crawling with huge bodied bulls. And again, these are totally wild buffalo. It does not get any more real in SA. Here’s a poor quality photo of a bull taken just today. I edited it as best I could but the bull was a pretty far distance when the pic was taken. This bull is still a bit soft but look at the drops and curl to the horns. If you ever wanted to bowhunt true wild buffalo at a rate half of a hunt elsewhere, this is it!

31-Jan-18

More trail cam photos from today.

31-Jan-18

01-Feb-18
See the one in back hiding in the brush cause he's humble and doesn't want to embarrass the other bulls with his impressive head gear? I call dibs on him ;)

01-Feb-18

Trail cam photos from today.

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18

01-Feb-18
Some impressive Dagga Boys there Ken; trust all is well with you and yours. Best of luck for all your sporting endeavours this coming season; good luck and good hunting to you and your clients. PS I still have very good memories of hunting Dunsappie, when all we had was army surplus tents...

01-Feb-18
The good old days, lol. I still have a deposit on account from you from about 100 years ago. Whenever you wish to return I will honor your deposit.

01-Feb-18
Killin a brother Ken...-30 in Fairbanks today talking about hunting Buff in the heat of the summer...killin me :-)

01-Feb-18
You’d love the hunt Peyton. Great hunt, especially for a bowhunter. Big bulls with guys that breath bowhunting!

02-Feb-18
Thanks Ken! Heck...the interest alone must be enough for a buff hunt ;-) One of these fine days, I will get myself back to the bosveld, hunting with KMS

02-Feb-18
Had I invested that deposit you are correct, ha. It dies with you though so you can’t pass it down in your will, lol.

02-Feb-18
"850gr arrow at 230 fps or better is optimum equipped with the original German Kinetics Broadhead."

LMAO

"850 gr at 230 fps? Lemmee see..... that should require about a 90 lb longbow ( or more )."

ROFLMAO!!

Unless you stand about 6' 6"... it's just a bit more than that. Just for giggles, I ran the numbers for my Howatt Bamboo Viper 64" LB at my 26.5" DL... (I can usually get a little more than that, but I'm thinking I might lose a little shooting higher poundage...)...

Based on the data for a #95er... in order to get to 230 fps, I'd have to drop down to 6.3 GPP at most..... so.... 850 grains.... looks like #135-#140 should do it. Good. Only have to gain 5-10 pounds and still be able to anchor my own weight.....Of course, the calculator tends to be pretty optimistic on the FPS estimates, so let's call it #145-#150.

Better hit the gym before my testosterone level drops through the floor.....

02-Feb-18
Looks like you will not be hunting buffalo. The intent is for you to kill your buffalo not us. Guys seems to gravitate to the “minimum” they can get away with for some reason. Usually this will involve us shooting your buffalo after you’ve sunk your arrow all of four inches into the beast. Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. If you only have a knife don’t get into a gun fight.

03-Feb-18
Not sure how going after dangerous game with a recurve or longbow constitutes “gravitat[ing] towards the minimum”, but whatever.... Just the fact that you threw out 230 fps is proof enough that you either know nothing about “Trad” bows or what you do know has created such a bias against them that anyone wanting to use one would be wasting his time and yours by talking to you about it.

Hope you get all the Compound-Hunter bookings you can handle. Keep yourself safe.

03-Feb-18
Funny, I’m a traditional bowhunter myself and book plenty of trad bowhunters. My comments had nothing to do with choice of equipment but rather the optimum formula for ensuring success so that the Buffalo actually dies not the humans. Of course traditional equipment will kill a buffalo but if you’re incapable of shooting enough bow to get the job done then you shouldn’t be hunting buffalo. If you can get a 1000 gr arrow moving at 160fps plus then you can certainly kill a buffalo. Other set ups can be discussed. Again, i provided the optimum formula not specific to type of equipment. This is a very dangerous hunt. Better your ego take the lumps then your body. Of course what do I know, I’ve only conducted 300 buffalo hunts.

03-Feb-18

Must be purely decorative, lol.

03-Feb-18

Interior “armor” of Cape Buffalo.” This, covered by a very thick hide, is what you’re contending with to get an arrow into the vitals.

03-Feb-18
That is a very telling photo. Hat picture is worth a heck of a lot more than 1000 words

03-Feb-18
how far are the bow shots you normally get at buffalo

03-Feb-18
We always want to try to get within 15-20 yards. 25 is about the max.

03-Feb-18
Uhhh does the buff hopefully doesn't know we are gonna try and be that close?

08-Feb-18

New trail cam photo from today. Though it’s hard to judge from a photo this bull appears to be pushing 42” plus. At least three other bulls of this size have been spotted. $8900 all in!

09-Feb-18
Maybe if he turns a bit I can try a frontal.

09-Feb-18
Very impressive and cool thread!!!

As I’ve said this isn’t a hunt for me, I’m a pussy, yep I said it lol...

I have seen you post a bunch of stuff on here and you seem like a great person and I wish you the best of luck! I love reading the stories. From a distance!! Lol

09-Feb-18
A couple of those old boys look like they're about ripe for picking ! I've always dreamed of hunting Africa, and Cape Buff would be the #1 beast on my list. But alas, I waited too long. I couldn't physically make it happen much less pull the poundage it takes to bust through those ribs and get to the vitals. Whoever takes you up on this offer Ken, I hope it's a Bowsiter so I can at least read about it.

09-Feb-18
That picture of the skeleton is amazing! Super cool!!!

09-Feb-18
Dang Ken...This would be a tempting "upgrade" to my buff...

09-Feb-18
Let’s go Corey. We are booking these hunts quickly.

09-Feb-18
Does that bull know he's resting on my escape tree? Pulling 55lbs now 16 more to go than I'll be working on the arrow weight.

09-Feb-18
I feel a leg cramp coming on just about the time you arrive in camp.

09-Feb-18
Hey I'll be sitting right next to you with a cold Castles regaling you with my hunting prowess lol

27-Feb-18

One buffalo hunt still available for 2018 and must be booked 1-13 August. 2019 is over 60% booked so if you are thinking about this great offer just know that we’re almost fully booked for next season so dont wait too much longer!

27-Feb-18
As a couple others have mentioned, the photo of the Cape Buffalo skeleton is extremely nice. It really helps to explain the need for a specific type of bow setup. It also shows why it is a good idea to aim for the "triangle" above the elbow joint.

27-Feb-18
Best photo available for studying shot placement. Too many guys get into that shoulder bone and fail to get thru. Stay away from it. Use the skeletal photo and study it.

27-Feb-18

27-Feb-18

27-Feb-18

27-Feb-18
Ken How big is the heart? It looks as if you better be spot on with your arrow

27-Feb-18
A bit smaller than a football.

27-Feb-18
Thanks

27-Feb-18

27-Feb-18
You can see in the two photos how the leg and shoulder bone float as the leg moves. Leg slightly forward rotates the elbow and opens up a better target area. I never recommend a quartering away shot on a buffalo but the onside leg slightly forward on a broadside shot is perfect.

27-Feb-18
Although some have been killed with longbow and curve by the stats needed few people if any could pull the bow and shoot an arrow accurately. Great pictures and sounds like a great hunt. With a .458.

God bless, Steve

27-Feb-18
Now you have me curious. Are they jumpy over every little thing or more of a relaxed attitude. I realize that if heavily pressured by hunters or predetors this changes everything.

27-Feb-18
a Buffalo’s disposition is based upon the human pressure he is exposed to. In the Omay in Zimbabwe the buffalo are hammered and hunted relentlessly and are crazy hard to bowhunt. They break and run at any disturbance. In C10 in Mozambique they are very approachable if the wind is correct. Very bowhuntable there. It all depends on where you hunt them and how much they’ve been hunted.

The thinnest part of the buffalo is broadside just behind the shoulders which is the quickest way to the vitals. The harder the quarter the more buffalo you must pass thru to get to the heart/lung area and a buffalo represents a lot of bull, lol.

27-Feb-18

Buffalo top view. Notice how the buff gets much larger once you get past the thinner area between the shoulders.

27-Feb-18
I've heard of quite a few single lung shots on cape buff that did NOT go well. You can see how that is an easy error to make.

27-Feb-18
So you are saying leave the rage broadheads at home right ?

27-Feb-18
I had a client double lung a buffalo once and it didn’t die. When found the following day it had enough energy left to charge and had to be on the receiving end of a 500 grain solid. They are resilient. Super tough animal.

27-Feb-18

Great Buffalo Broadhead!

27-Feb-18
A double lung-shot buff that won't die overnight; that's just plain stubbornness. Ken, what are some of your other fav equipment recommendations for buffalo?

27-Feb-18
Easton Dangerous Game Arrow, VPA 250 or 300 gr. Two blade Broadheads or the original German Kinetics, and quality rangefinder. Heavy arrows are trajectory disadvantaged so you need to know your range.

28-Feb-18
Incredible looking bulls!

01-Mar-18
hey ken hoyt axis riser- 82 lbs jim belcher limbs- dangerous game 250 full length 300 grain field points-1000 grains through the chrono at 160 fps right on the money. now all i need is the money.

01-Mar-18
And some Broadheads...lol

01-Mar-18
So, Ken...

You never did say which one of your longbows or recurves it is that will throw an 850 grain arrow at your recommended 230 fps...

I’d love to know what the specs are on that....

01-Mar-18
Give it a rest!

02-Mar-18
Hey Moody, some guys are like neutered dogs...they just don't get it. Glad to see you're doing well.

02-Mar-18
Hey Brian, hope all is well for you. Not too cold I hope, ha, ha. Time for you to come to Africa...

02-Mar-18
Fantastic looking hunt, this would be great.

02-Mar-18
It is a wonderful experience. Our first client in this year is a bowhunter from Austria. I can’t wait!

03-Mar-18
Not a trick question...

Still just waiting for a straight answer from the expert.

Or have you just never attempted to take a Cape Buff with “traditional” gear? If that’s the answer, that’s fine. Maybe you don’t even think that it can be done… If that’s the case, just say so.

03-Mar-18
Your question was previously answered. Move on.

03-Mar-18

03-Mar-18
Brian, this guy doesn’t want an answer he just needs attention. He will never hunt Cape Buffalo. I gave him the optimum archery specs for buffalo here and even provided minimal acceptable traditional specs at leatherwall when he starting his nonsense there. Apparently he doesn’t understand the word optimum. The fact is most archery hunts for buffalo end up with a rifle finishing the job. That’s just reality. These are big, tough, mean animals and should only be hunted by serious hunters.

03-Mar-18
GF, What you don't seem to understand is you were given optimum Specs for archery equipment. There is no distinction made between trad equipment and compound equipment. It's all the same. What you're being told is arrive at a momentum and or KE that works based on those parameters. Maybe you shoot a heavier arrow traveling slower. Regardless the burden to make it work is on you. You aren't owed any more explanation than that. If you are unable to make it work then change methods or hunt something else. I'm sure no one wants to be bothered scooping you up with a snow shovel just to keep your feelings from being hurt.

03-Mar-18
Geez Brian ya don't think he read your very comprehensive explanation the first time? ;)

03-Mar-18
Of course you dumbed it down enough that even I understand lol

03-Mar-18
HA, thought I deleted the first one.I tried to be kinder and gentler the second time around. I am relieved that you understand it, I had my doubts. :)

03-Mar-18
Ever the quick wit :)

03-Mar-18
some great pics

04-Mar-18
How many acres fenced? Are dates specific?

04-Mar-18
How many acres fenced? Are dates specific?

04-Mar-18
Currently 7000 acres. No specific dates but 2018 is fully booked and 2019 is now at about 75% booked.

06-Mar-18
bb as a "trad only" shooter I agree with your statement, with one quibble. Snow shovels are very inefficient at scooping up mangled flesh/trampled dirt mixture, you need a good old fashioned coal scoop for that. If GF decides to do the trip, I have one in the shed he can take along. ;)

06-Mar-18
Great pictures and maybe a hunt I'll start saving up for, and who knows, maybe I can talk Peyton into going with me. What a hunt and a challenge for a bow hunter. Your pictures and hunting experience with buffalo make me want to book today.

07-Mar-18
Bushwhacker, ten years ago I'd look at all these dream hunts and say" that's awesome, I'll never get to do that". In the last ten years I've managed FOUR dream hunts and I'm booked for Kodiak Island for blacktail this fall.

I can't currently see a way to make Africa happen, but if/when I do, Ken Moody will be where I go.

Never say never.

07-Mar-18
Cecil, it would be our pleasure to host your African adventure. FYI, 2018 buffalo are fully booked and 2019 has 15 buffalo hunters already booked so we are close to closing our buff bookings for next season as well...however, we are meeting now to close an exclusive deal on a new 35,000 acre reserve which will allow us to expand our dangerous game offerings and quota. More to follow...

07-Mar-18
Ken, I'm edging into a new career (which may very well be unemployment) and I have the 2018 season covered, It'd most likely be 19/20 before I could even think of coming out. A fella can dream tho

27-Feb-19
Hi Ken, how do you like the 300g VPA? It looks like a good head. Any advantage to the 250, with the thinner blade thickness??

27-Feb-19
Fuzzy, are they now lumping side by side shotguns in with recurve and longbows as "traditional"?

27-Feb-19
Matt You should have been there when I tried explaining what a microwave was.

27-Feb-19
Stan, sent you a pm.

28-Feb-19
Matt, That is funny stuff!

Fuzzy, make sure you take more arrows to Africa than you did to Kodiak!! ;)

28-Feb-19
lmao, more arrows and better skills...

28-Feb-19
Hey Ken....have you ever suggested a frontal or slightly quartering frontal shot to the heart? Is that a easier path to the heart as far as bone goes or are you always looking for the broadside/ double lung shot.

28-Feb-19
I do not recommend a frontal bow shot on a cape buffalo. The sternum can deflect the arrow to either side of the heart. I can speak from personal experience on this. Only broadside or a very slight quartering on shot is recommended.

28-Feb-19
Trying to save up for a buff hunt, only 4,000 more dollars to go I think. I worked up to a #85 @ 30' draw recurve. Chronoed a 900 grn arrow going 187 fps. Some a little faster or slower but averaged 187 fps. Is this adequate or should I try to work up to #95 lbs and a 1,000 grn arrow? Also I am pretty accurate out to 30 yds, shot a moose at 26 yds this year. Never found the arrow back, it blew through and kept going who knows where.

01-Mar-19
If you can work up to the heavier bow you will increase your odds of success. There’s no such thing as overkill with a cape buffalo. If you can’t then your current set up would be acceptable.

• Sitka Gear