Scooter Trash 26-Feb-18
APauls 27-Feb-18
wyobullshooter 27-Feb-18
elkstabber 28-Feb-18
Beendare 28-Feb-18
krieger 08-Mar-18
The last savage 08-Mar-18
26-Jan-18
I used to shoot fish many years ago when my shooting was so bad it didn't matter. Now....I won't bowfish idue to I feel it breeds bad shooting habits. Don't get me wrong....I really had fun doing it but I believe it would be very hard to bowfish and then pick up your hunting bow and make good shots. Not shots where you hit the dot but shots where you execute correctly without punching.

I'm sure some of you are able to do this without deleterious effects but I assume I am not alone in why I am not a fan.

Thoughts?

26-Jan-18
I bowfish with a recurve and hunt with one a fair amount. I used to pick up a lot of bad habits from shooting fish. I finally learned to shoot correctly, just fast. Still use back tension and pull through the shot though. Sometimes you'll get sloppy but I just offset those here and there shits with good bare work.

26-Jan-18
To me archery is a mental game. I don’t think about bowfishing affecting my normal archery . Nothing is normal shooting Fish under water . My thoughts . Hunt

26-Jan-18
I don’t believe I could shoot worth a DAMN if I tried to hustle off a shot with a release.

Used to shoot a 50% compound with fingers (about 30 years ago) and that wasn’t bad. But RC/LB? It’s just another style/tactic you can use when the situation calls for it; I can drill a tennis ball from 50 feet faster than probably 95% of compounders can get their release on the string.

Well, a volleyball, for sure.... as long as I can pick a spot on it....

27-Jan-18
Try a recurve when bow fishing. I found it a lot easier than using a compound at 3 yards and I’m not very good with traditional equipment past 5 yards:)

27-Jan-18
Many years ago I bow fished with a recurve, hunted with both recurve and compound bow using fingers with a tab. I shot instinctive so that was a big help. Doing both hunting fishing, I can say it never, ever created any problems with accuracy or form.

The fellows who shot pins did seem to have some difficulties in shooting carp though.

27-Jan-18
Haven't bowfished in years but when I did, I used a recurve, instinctive even after I started hunting big game with a compound. Two different disciplines.

26-Feb-18

Scooter Trash's embedded Photo
Scooter Trash's embedded Photo
I've never had a problem between the two. More times than not I will miss a fish if I hold at anchor and try to "aim". Many times my hand is 3 or 4 inches away from my face when I release the arrow. Shooting fish that are moving is much easier for me if I just snap off a shot. It works for me, just sayin'

27-Feb-18

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Shooting Carp is just something totally different. Like HUNT for me it's just a different category mentally I don't even equate it with archery. If you want a real riot, grab a speargun :)

27-Feb-18
What Charlie and midwest said.

Bowfreak, I can relate exactly to what you’re saying. For those of us that have battled the TP demon, making the release happen, rather than letting it happen, can have dire consequences! Doesn’t matter whether you’re shooting animals, fish, or foam targets.

28-Feb-18
When shooting a recurve instinctively it doesn't matter what type of target I'm shooting at. Its all natural. If that target is an animal on land or swimming in the water makes no difference. Probably the only two differences between animals on land and fish under water is that you have to remember to aim low for deeper fish and that fish are typically moving. Moving targets are no problem at all for an instinctive shooter. The ability to shoot quickly at moving targets is the greatest strength of shooting a traditional bow instinctively.

I'm also beginning to re-learn how to shoot a compound. I wouldn't even try it with a compound. You've got to anchor, center the sight ring in the peep, level the bubble, think about where to aim using which pin, and then pull through the release. By that time the fish has probably moved out of range or swam too deep. Nope, shooting a compound with all of the aiming aids is not using the compound to its advantage.

28-Feb-18
It messes me up....but i'm not giving up my carp shooting for something as silly as poor target shooting- grin

Easy to tell; shooting all winter....then compare that to summer shooting

08-Mar-18
habits, schmabits...what, you won't walk up a set of stairs cause it may mess you up when you have to walk on a level sidewalk?

NO excuse not to shoot fish....none I say!

08-Mar-18
Mark ,,,your over thinking it ...get back out there...miss 21 carp and have fun brother!! Life too short man....

• Sitka Gear