South Farm 29-Jan-18
Ogoki 29-Jan-18
Timbrhuntr 29-Jan-18
Timbrhuntr 29-Jan-18
bb 29-Jan-18
South Farm 29-Jan-18
Tao 30-Jan-18
28-Jan-18
Looking into headed to Ontario for moose hunt Kashabowie offers a fly in diy moose hunt and was wondering who has used them and any tips for doing it on own or use the guide.

28-Jan-18
Tags are pretty hard to get it seems. If they have them then at least you’re in the game.

If you haven’t hunted Moose before having some of the basics established by them might be the best way to go.

Our first DIY hunt only yielded one sighting but we learned a lot. The next few years brought a lot of success

Scott

28-Jan-18
I watched an episode of the choice and they were moose hunting with this outfitter and said they go there every year. I have never hunted with them but used to bowhunt near Atikokan years ago lots of moose and back then very few bow hunters . However the Ontario government has no management plan and our moose resource is going down the tubes. They cut tags a few years ago but in this case you would need an outfitters tag and as a nonresident have to stay with an outfitter which you probably know. I used to hunt with an outfitter when I first started moose hunting Tatnall Camp. They are a great outfitter and I believe they are fly in now also. I killed a 63 incher there and always got on lots of moose. They started to do more bowhunting and I know had some tags last year because they are so remote !

28-Jan-18
Speaking of Ontario moose has anyone hunted with 1000 Lakes Outposts recently???

29-Jan-18
My experience in Ontario is you're better off going to a drive to outfitter than a fly-in. You could be one of the lucky ones that gets flown in to a good lake, but if it's hot, if the water levels are low inhibiting access, if another group was there the week before mucking up the area, if there's simply no moose on that particular lake, it will be more like an expensive camping trip where you're a prisoner to that specific lake. I'd much rather do the land based hunt where you can pull stakes and move about the GMU as you see fit...and possibly increase your odds. Just my opinion, like I say you could get lucky, some guys do.

29-Jan-18
I had EXACTLY what Southfarm , is talking about in 2013. Outfitter flew us in to a tent camp on a very remote lake. Last week of September we had strong winds and 85 degree temps. Just wife and I . She was a trooper. We were set up at moosey end of lake , before daylight everyday. Could watch good area. Bushwhacked another canoe into another small lake. Hunted both spots . Daylight to dark . Pilot who picked us up said the previous year , in the same 2 week period he flew out numerous moose. Outfitter flys for 2 other outfitters , besides his customers . Pilot said they only flew out 2 moose in the same 2 weeks , that year. I plan to go again , fall of 20 , as my wife will be retired then . Good luck in whatever you decide on !! Next time we plan to fly in to a lake that is 33 miles of lake and river. Just an inexperienced hunters thoughts .

29-Jan-18
If you got flown into a lake was there a boat or canoe there. I have never hunted in northern Ontario where I had to stay on one specific lake. If you look there are always rivers that offshoot and you can usually also cross land to another lake or river area !

29-Jan-18
Another thing about the flyins you should check to see what area they are flying you to. I remember one year crossing the through the bush to another lake and when we got there we ran into 4 other hunters that were surprised to see other guys as they were told it was a remote fly in lake. They were really surprised when we showed them the logging road about a half mile from the lake !

29-Jan-18
"Another thing about the flyins you should check to see what area they are flying you to. I remember one year crossing the through the bush to another lake and when we got there we ran into 4 other hunters that were surprised to see other guys as they were told it was a remote fly in lake. They were really surprised when we showed them the logging road about a half mile from the lake !"

Exactly, this is a common myth for guys booking Newfoundland hunts. Often the remote fly in hunt is easily accessible from a different direction for people walking in or riding an atv. There are some that are legitimately not accessible but not many.

29-Jan-18
"If you got flown into a lake was there a boat or canoe there. I have never hunted in northern Ontario where I had to stay on one specific lake. If you look there are always rivers that offshoot and you can usually also cross land to another lake or river area !"

Not always the case, and certainly not in one of my hunts in Ontario out of Red Lake.

30-Jan-18
If you do a drive in there is a good possibility you will most likely have locals and first nations competition. ..A fly in is the way to go.

• Sitka Gear