Treeline 28-Jan-18
Treeline 28-Jan-18
NorCalVineyards 28-Jan-18
NorCalVineyards 29-Jan-18
Treeline 29-Jan-18
Treeline 29-Jan-18
NorCalVineyards 29-Jan-18
28-Jan-18
If you were looking to maximize your trophy hunting for mule deer, where would you “draw” a tag for your best chance at a trophy buck with relatively low points accumulated. In other words, if I only wanted to wait 2-3 years for a tag to go hunt mule deer, where would you go? Terrain not beIng a factor.

28-Jan-18
Colorado, Montana (no pref points or bonus) for most of the state. Idaho. Wyoming has some of the best muleys but also can have very high point requirements, especially after the bad winter in the west.

Would also help if you defined "trophy".

28-Jan-18
180”+

28-Jan-18
180”+

28-Jan-18
Good luck. There's a lot of great mule deer hunting where you won't even see a 180.

28-Jan-18
Very true, but this thread is about the county that you will.

28-Jan-18
A lot of people overlook n.m. for trophy quality mule deer. It's no secret the herd is hurting , or that sheer numbers can't compete with the other s.w. states but as a resident knowing where 180+ deer are it's frustrating not being able to draw a tag in the resident pool. Most who are not residents only hear of the 2's as trophy class units. What I wouldn't give to be able to apply in the outfitter or NR pool to aquire a tag .

28-Jan-18
CO, preferably somewhere without an OTC archery elk hunt just to limit pressure a bit. Nearly all units have potential to produce a 180+, but not a large concentration of them anywhere.

28-Jan-18
Yes Colorado is great just gotta build 1-3 points and can probably do your homework and draw a unit that can hold good deer. I was just saying with no points and public land n.m. can produce. Or buy a voucher in Colorado. The ranches with those type of bucks tend to be pretty pricy.

28-Jan-18
The way people talk you’d think 180” deer grow on trees in Colorado. I sure haven’t seen them. Wish I would though. Getting tired of seeing little bucks or no bucks.

28-Jan-18
I see 180+ deer every year in many units in Colorado that you can draw on 2nd choice - get a point and a tag.

28-Jan-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Here’s a couple decent ones from last year - 2nd choice tags.

28-Jan-18
I though NM outfitter pool was open to R as well as NR. No?

28-Jan-18
It is . The new law states a guide has to accompany the hunter IN THE FIELD for 2 days so it's a little more money but this will be the first year I do believe I will be doing just that . It is worth it.

28-Jan-18
Any ideas for above timberline CO? That's a bucket list hunt.

28-Jan-18
Treeline- that hard horned buck is bad ass!

28-Jan-18

Here’s another good one that didn’t get shot thru archery season...

28-Jan-18
That hard horned buck was the last day.

28-Jan-18
well he's got good mass! That velvet non-typical is a stud too!

29-Jan-18
I've looked at Alberta and I want to do it, just maybe not in the next 5 years. To many options in the west and good country I havent seen yet.

29-Jan-18
Not sure where you can get a treeline hunt up in Alberta...

Mostly what I have seen is flat country with crops similar to eastern CO or KS.

Not sure that the numbers of 180+ bucks are any better in Alberta than in Colorado or Wyoming. They do look like big ol' fatties, though!

I would be more interested in going up to Alberta if I could do it without paying the extortion fees to the outfitters...

29-Jan-18
My last hunt in Nevada we saw more lions than bucks...

Still some great hunts over there, just low numbers of deer in most places and where there are big bucks, the outfitters have cameras on every water hole.

29-Jan-18
I seen some good bucks in area 7 NV last year while bowhunting elk (maybe one would go 180"). That likely will take 5-8 years to draw an early tag for NV 7. I probably cant wait that long in Nevada as I would try and draw a tag every 2-4 years on easier to draw NV archery hunts. Nevada is extra special to me as it's my CA neighbor to the east and access is close.

• Sitka Gear