Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
LKH 28-Jan-18
WV Mountaineer 28-Jan-18
Buckiller 28-Jan-18
Scrappy 28-Jan-18
LKH 28-Jan-18
28-Jan-18
We've had a strange winter for snow, etc. I'm 20 miles west of lewistown, MT. We had hard cold with bare ground that had high moisture. Then about a foot of snow, rain on that and then a partial melt. There are puddles all over and some pretty good glaciation.

The deer are in the yard, something that doesn't happen normally. I've got a pickup full of waste grain and have been helping them out.

Anyone else having this. I was raised in Int'l Falls, MN and I think this might be worse than the extreme cold and deep snow we had when I was young.

28-Jan-18
Yep, if it is crusted over hard, it is deadly.

28-Jan-18
If they haven’t been eating that grain as part of their regular diet for the last few months, you may have signed their death certificate. It’s too late for their rumen to adjust in their gut.

28-Jan-18
X2 buckiller, be better for them if you would cut down some young junk trees for them to browse on.

28-Jan-18
They eat grain from the fields around here all the time. Trouble is now it's buried in ice and crusted (I often don't break through) snow. There are a lot of deer and I spread it around. None get a full gut.

I would get notice of any deer dying from the eagles going in. 40-50 roost every night in a small group of cottonwoods on the neighbors.

• Sitka Gear