TREESTANDWOLF 30-Jan-18
Grunt-N-Gobble 31-Jan-18
jeck66 01-Feb-18
Fuzzy 01-Feb-18
TSI 01-Feb-18
29-Jan-18

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
I just wanted to share a couple of quick photos of this buck. Taken not far from my lease in Pike Co., Illinois

He was shot during the second gun, but not recovered and had three different encounters with bow hunters before that.

What’s more interesting is he never ventured off of his farm, the entire season. Even before the season he would show consistently.

We thought because of his age, he just didn’t want to venture farther than his core area.

The young guy holding the rack is the guide who gave all the hunters their chance.

The last hunter will receive the rack I’m told.

Anyway, it’s still nice to see these giants still roam the woods in Illinois.

Nice work Jacob on locating him, great deer.

He was measured at 200 5/8 not including the larger drop.

29-Jan-18

29-Jan-18

29-Jan-18

29-Jan-18
WOW

29-Jan-18
Curious why the larger drop wasn’t added into the score? Lots of mass on that hog! I’ll bet the gun hunter is tickled.

29-Jan-18
Question? How is it possible to shoot a deer with a reasonable caliber gun and not recover it properly? I mean seriously?

29-Jan-18
That young man needs to stop cutting his own hair and find a good barber!!

30-Jan-18
Did I get this wrong or is this connected to wounded warriors. You people asking about papers?

30-Jan-18
Did I get this wrong or is this connected to wounded warriors. You people asking about papers?

30-Jan-18
MichaelArnette- we see it happen at least once in every group here on hogs...and we're setting our hunters up for 20 yard shots. We realize that stuff goes wrong, but what's most bothersome to us is when a bad shot is made and the shooter gets upset with us for not finding the animal they made a bad shot on. Kudoes to the young man who recovered this buck for the shooter.

30-Jan-18
" JTV " .... I think here in Illinois the animal Is Not To Be Touched until CPO Game Warden is notified and looks over the spot where found and at the Untouched Animal where it lays ...... and then the CPO puts on a 'salvage tag' (I'm guessing that is what the 'yellow tag' is in the first 3 pictures pictures) ....... but NOT on it in the last picture ..... my guess it was 'handled' and removed by 'finder' before CPO notified and inspected ...... and I feel 'this is a advertisement' by/for the outfitter / land leaser ...... jmho ..... Also, DNR or CPO don't have to turn the rack over to anyone and "they" can and often do lay claim to them for The Dept. of Conservation use!

30-Jan-18
Guns are great for killing animals at long distances, but they're no more or less effective than an arrow at wounding an animal at close range if you don't put the bullet/arrow in the right place.

Incredible and unique buck. White tails with huge brow tines look so cool.

30-Jan-18
It is just as easy to make a poor shot with a firearm as it is with archery equipment. I'm not so proud that I can't admit I've made a poor shot with a firearm on a deer and did not recover it...they just don't fall over dead from loud noises!

Also, the info provided doesn't say it was shot by a firearm, only that it was shot during the firearm season.

30-Jan-18
I wasn’t sitting with the guy when he pulled the trigger and I don’t know the circumstances.

I do know he had the opportunity and it went not exactly as planned, just like it happens with a bow.

Neat buck, no matter what happened,

My understanding is they walked by him once during the actual recovery attempt, less than 50 yards from where he was found.

No mention of an outfitter, leaseee in my original post. I know the guidelines there Headhunter.

This was just an attempt i to share a great deer and recovery.

Fuzz, thank you for clarifying that thendeer was shot DURING the gun season.

30-Jan-18
Incredible deer. No matter how he died.

30-Jan-18
Great buck, Pike County farmers get corn yields of up to 280 bushels per acre. The soil and genetics are top notch!

No association with Wounded Warrior in Action Foundation.

30-Jan-18
Great buck, but none of the hunters earned the right to hang it on their wall. If one does, how does he enjoy the story he tells about the hunt? The memory of the hunt is why I mount an animal so I can see it and enjoy the memory

30-Jan-18
TX... I feel the same way. The hunt, a clean kill and a timely recovery have so much to do with any trophy... no matter if it's a doe! That sure is a great buck tho!

30-Jan-18
In Illinois if you want to take to taxidermist you have to get a salvage tag other than that it is a free for all on “found” deer. I know of a bunch of pickups and never heard of anybody gettin a citation

30-Jan-18
Some of you guys would bitch if you were cut with a new knife.. Get real,,, bashing the kid for his hair... Get a life

30-Jan-18
Great buck!

30-Jan-18
I recall reading a story from Chuck Adams where he shot a coues deer but did not recover it with the time he had available. He went back a month later when time permitted and found the buck.

Everyone who has hunted enough knows it happens. I'm glad it was recovered.

30-Jan-18
Just curious, are my old eye's deceiving me or does this buck's drop-tine appear to move from the right to the left side ???

It sure seems to be one mysterious buck.

LOL :^}

30-Jan-18
I’d say you need to move up yer eye doctor appointment, buc i 313. He’s holding the rack, facing forward in a couple of the pics, and showing it from the back in the other pics.

I wish I HAD that much hair! Thanks for sharing it with us, Rich.

30-Jan-18
Happy to know there are astute and observant folks on the site.

Eye appointment scheduled . Perhaps I should schedule an Alzheimer's appointment as well.

30-Jan-18
Very nice deer that’s great that it was found.

30-Jan-18
James,

That's a good one

30-Jan-18
Treestandwolfe-why do you not include the larger drop tine in the score

30-Jan-18
Buc, don't worry man, it's called Sometimers disease. I have it bad around my wife....:)

30-Jan-18
buc i....... maybe you already did and just forgot! ;-)

30-Jan-18
wowsa, what a buck. nice of the kid to send the buck to the guy who shot and didn't recover it, quality move by him.

30-Jan-18
So happy to know there are so many fine folks willing to point out my short comings. ERRR should I say eyesight ?

t-roy, are you and bowhunter55, neighbors ?

I know Iowa, and Illinois, are close. So can you "see" one another ? You know like they can in Alaska, and Russia ? :^}

Perhaps I may have "some-timers"

30-Jan-18
If the last guy who saw it shot it worked with outfitter who found it, returned to claim (still on the kill )site, why would a NDR or anyone else have an issue with it? Shot during season but recovered and tagged once season is closed. I certainly would do that to a huge buck shot in Sept. but lost perhaps til Oct. or Nov. (even Dec. up here). Wouldn't you??? What is the law regarding expected recovery, 1 day, 2 days a week, month???

30-Jan-18

Just for clarification.

The “ kid” is a very intelligent, whitetail smart, hunting fool who guides.

The property, where he was guiding, was home to this buck.

There was multiple screw ups and misses on this deer, and one hunter had the opportunity to connect, however, when they took up the trail, it simply wasn’t that great.

The recent recovery was no less than 50 yards from where they where looking.

I agree about the classy move by him, going back and looking for the hunter.

He really did not have to do that. I think about that often.

Here’s a couple of trail pics he had while keeping tabs on the deer.

The “ kid” has skills, and a good heart. That is a bit rare these days.

30-Jan-18

31-Jan-18
Take it easy there Earl. Just pointing out the obvious........... jokingly. Guess you missed that.

01-Feb-18
I agree with Earl on this one...

Good job to the young man on making the best of the situation and finding the buck!

01-Feb-18
with regards to the gull-loss question, I'll venture to say that the recovery rate with gun shot whitetail is little, if any better than bow shot...

01-Feb-18
Great deer,great story and even better outcome.congrats

• Sitka Gear