XMan 30-Jan-18
mtoomey 30-Jan-18
mtoomey 30-Jan-18
mtoomey 30-Jan-18
jmiller 30-Jan-18
mtoomey 30-Jan-18
30-Jan-18
2:57 PM LIVE from ND*
I'm about to leave the vehicle for my last deer hunt of the year. The season closes tomorrow. I work all day tomorrow so this is it. Again, this is a doe only hunt.

30-Jan-18
Wind is 20mph from the south. Temperature is 25F. This is North Dakota legendary.

30-Jan-18

mtoomey's embedded Photo
mtoomey's embedded Photo

30-Jan-18
hardcore hunting, good luck!

30-Jan-18
Down to the last hour. Hopefully the deer will start moving. Mentally I'm already planning where to go fishing on Friday.

30-Jan-18

mtoomey's embedded Photo
mtoomey's embedded Photo

30-Jan-18
No deer tonight, and that's a wrap to my season. I pulled two stands on my way out. I think I will write a reflection later tonight. It's been a good season.

30-Jan-18
The lack of snow cover really hurt the urban hunt this year. Plenty if deer but no pattern whatsoever.

30-Jan-18

mtoomey's embedded Photo
mtoomey's embedded Photo
Jeff, I'd agree to that. Generally the more snow the more deer move into town, abandon the harvested crops and look for browse and bird food in town.

Some thoughts on this year's deer season. First, it was a long season, five months.

Second, I was very fortunate and blessed to have alot of opportunities to chase deer. I chased deer in four distinct areas of North Dakota, and was happy with the deer numbers as a whole. In three of the areas the deer herd is rebounding. We may never get to the herd we had 15 years ago, but they are trending well. The fourth area that had a decline was due to a harsh winter, but I still saw alot of deer.

Third, I was able to create some content for another hunting site, and will have another opportunity to do so next year. They were simple hunting devotionals, but it was a good learning experience for me.

Fourth, I got to hunt deer with my dad for a few days in Minnesota. And while the gun season there was wanting, it was still hunting with dad. This is my 30th year deer hunting and it was good to go back to where it all started with my dad at the lake.

Fifth, I filled the freezer, mostly with the bow. My oldest daughter is already thinking about what kind of man she'll marry. (It blows my mind that an 11 year old thinks about that!) It's doubtful she'll hunt deer herself, but she commented, "I'm going to have to marry someone who hunts, because I really like to eat deer."

God bless, Mike

• Sitka Gear