Daff 03-Feb-18
fred hill 04-Feb-18
GotBowAz 05-Feb-18
r-man 05-Feb-18
SteveB 05-Feb-18
steve 05-Feb-18
tonyo6302 05-Feb-18
03-Feb-18
This time of year the big box stores are clearing out their inventory. I’m looking to pick up some broadheads and am seeing a lot of brands carry a broadhead model. Is it anything more than packaging and marketing? Would they all work just as well with a compound?

03-Feb-18
Lower profile probably. I know as poplar as it has become for some here to make the crossbow seems as simple as blinking your eye's, the truth is they have many problems that the "non=dedicated" archers that use them, fall victim to quite often. You want to talk tuning precision, consider the needs of a crossbow shooting such a light, short arrow, at the velocity's they do. Can you say unstable?

I digress. Anyways, from what I've seen of them on the shelves, they seem to me more narrow due to difficulty of tuning such a wind plane as a 1 1/8" wide, more standard width broadhead, on such an unstable platform.

03-Feb-18
Virtually no difference except in color or packaging on most models. Some manufacturers will make a model that is slightly heavier and call it a crossbow model.

I laugh when I see the packaging because it is the same head. But that is how they can sell more broadheads!

03-Feb-18
Marketing ploy, if you want to see if they work on you bow must shoot some-just like any other head, right??

03-Feb-18
I’m not looking for a xbow broadhead, more curious about using xbow marketed heads on a compound.

03-Feb-18
Not sure about any differences with fixed blade besides weight for some models, but ive read that with mechanicals, they increase the blade deployment resistance because of the increased speed over regular compound bows. I assume they believe its needed to prevent the blades opening during launch or flight.

03-Feb-18
I doubt there is much difference in anything fixed except maybe weight (as mentioned above). Mechanical's should be harder to open. I shot a rage with a broadhead designed for a compound out of a crossgun and it opened on firing the blade hit the cocking stirrup and I have no Idea where the bolt wound up! last time i saw it it was kida cartwheeling over the target into the woods. If you think about it a cross gun is usually 2 times the draw weight of a compound or more to compensate for the short power stroke pretty violent launch. Even the most radical cams on a compound will launch and arrow smooth compared to a crossgun.

04-Feb-18
The main difference is the ferrule diameter. The ferrule is .345"-.350" to match the diameter of the standard crossbow bolt which was based off a 2219 Easton XX75 back in the day. Some manufacturer's Xbow broadheads are all steel and as such weigh more. Some of the mechanicals have a stiffer blade retention system to avoid in flight deployment.

05-Feb-18
I shoot the NAP Killzone xbow COC MBH in my compound. It is 125gn head with the blades being thicker/heavier. A very robust MBH.

05-Feb-18
fredhill is the winner, %100

05-Feb-18
Fred hill x3.

05-Feb-18
stick tricks fly and kill .

05-Feb-18
I will guess that the cost is greater for a crossbow broadhead.

• Sitka Gear