Buglmin 03-Feb-18
Timbrhuntr 03-Feb-18
Wood 03-Feb-18
Timbrhuntr 03-Feb-18
rooster 04-Feb-18
cath8r 05-Feb-18
Timbrhuntr 05-Feb-18
03-Feb-18
With the talk of long range shooting and sights it got me wondering about my own situation. I shattered my right elbow when I was younger and as a result I cannot fully bend or straighten my arm. Because of this I have a hard time getting a consistent anchor at it is high . The longest sight pin I can get is 40 yards (barely) or there is no room under the sight for the arrow to pass. I am wondering if there is a piece of equipment or sight that can help with this. Thanks for any help ! I have been going west for antelope and with a limit of 35 yards its tough ! I had several animals within 50 yards with no pin I am not comfortable just shooting into the air and hoping,

03-Feb-18
So are you saying you can't anchor lower on your jaw? A lower anchor on the jaw, or under the jaw is how you can gain yardage.

03-Feb-18
Yes I have to anchor near my ear .

03-Feb-18
maybe you can find a site with a larger sight window and larger range of adjustment

03-Feb-18
Maybe. I've been struggling with this since I first started shooting a compound bow. I have never asked here about it thought maybe someone might suggest a sight or something but not really expecting much. I used to shoot fingers and that really affected it but since I started using a release it is a little better and I can almost get to a 40 yard pin. This wasn't a real big deal where I hunt as whitetail are usually within 20 yards and with moose 3 yards LOL ! But with some of these animals and open terrain out west 50 would be nice !

03-Feb-18
It doesn't make sense to me.

I guess I just don't understand what is mechanically keeping you from anchoring 1/2"-1" lower which would give you 70-80 yds

03-Feb-18
The short answer is to slide your peep up about a quarter inch.

03-Feb-18
If you're anchoring near your ear, that's usually a high anchor. Also sounds like your draw length is long. Anchoring under your jaw with the string touching the tip of your nose is the ideal anchor. You also need to let us know your set up. Is the bow capable of being shot past 40 yards? What bow/arrow set up are you using?

03-Feb-18
I've tried moving the peep that is what got me close to 40. Right now I'm using a pse stinger at 55lbs before I had a bowteck mightymite at 60. Everyone at archery shops told me I had the same draw length and it is correct. My arm does not bend or straighten all the way do it's hard to get close yo my face period.

03-Feb-18
Not sure but if you can't move your peep to get farther, maybe you could try what I use. An Anchor Sight (with no peep) by Archery Innovations. Not sure if that would work for you or not but I've shot without a peep for about 10 years and do pretty well.

03-Feb-18
Thanks I'll try looking for that

04-Feb-18
Have you thought of or, are you capable of changing up and trying to shoot left handed? It could be the solution o your problem.

05-Feb-18
You might want to consider a longer ata bow. We've met before and i think i remember you being a bigger guy (6' range?) A bow in tbe 38" and longer range might bail you out.

05-Feb-18
Hey Rob glad to see you still on here. I do remember you from some of the 3d shoots. I messed up both shoulders and was using a crossbow for a while. I am finally getting back into it and I went with this bow because of the versatility with it for draw weight etc and it didn't break the bank as I wasn't even sure I would be able to pull one back. I started at really low weight and am happily progressing if things keep improving I may look at a better bow with a longer ata. I did try to shoot left with a buddies bow here but being right eye dominant (and that added to the fact I can't straighten my arm and its really difficult to hold it from bending at full draw) so I didn't pursue it any further.

• Sitka Gear