jims 11-Feb-18
Bowfreak 11-Feb-18
Shawn 11-Feb-18
Owl 11-Feb-18
Matt 11-Feb-18
Owl 11-Feb-18
wyliecoyote 11-Feb-18
03-Feb-18
Piggie backing on some of the long distance shooting threads: how the heck are you people picking a spot at 70,80 and beyond? I need a 4-6" bull to make it happen at 50.

03-Feb-18
I don't shoot 1/3 that far, but for long range vision try this.

I don't need glasses, but have a very slight deficiency in my left eye. I have the optometrist give me a prescription that approaches 20/10 vision. Really makes things much clearer.

03-Feb-18
I need corrected vision. Problem is, if I get glasses to correct my distance vision, my pin is going get mega fuzzy. The doc guaranteed it. Are there archers hunting with bow scopes? I've heard they don't fair well in weather/ hunting conditions and are, thereby, impractical.

03-Feb-18
For long shots you need a big bulls eye to aim at.

For far shot practice a lot of time time I just Invision where the dot should be. Like if I’m shooting at my big square bag target I aim for the middle of it. Although I can’t see the middle dot

03-Feb-18
Just takes practise. It’s like using iron sights and shooting 150-200 yards

03-Feb-18
At long distances you need to trust your minds eye that it knows where the bulls eye is. The Korean Olympic archer Dong-Hyun who set a world record at the 2012 Olympics is legally blind and sees only blurred colors.

03-Feb-18
Sporting clays are a great bull for longer distances

03-Feb-18
Be the arrow........

03-Feb-18
In simple terms...take any movable sight you want and sight in the pin(s) as you would normally do....for an example let's say the bottom pin is 60 yards. Then using only the 60 yard pin (bottom) slide the sightdown until the 60 hits at 70, then further till the 60 pin hits at 80, etc. Most guys I know shooting 70# 28" draw, appropriate arrows can get out to about 140 yards with this method with todays modern compounds (330-340 fps)..

03-Feb-18
At eighty yards I found that I needed a smaller aiming point to achieve acceptable grouping.

I have not shot beyond that distance since I shoot lighter poondage and would need to generate more speed for the react one slider to be effective at the loner distances.

11-Feb-18
Use a paper plate trimmed down a bit for aiming beyond 90.

11-Feb-18
I always scratch my head when it comes to long range shooting...whether it is bow, muzzy, or rifle. Where is modern day hunting going to?

With that said, the longer the shot distance the more area the same site pin covers an animal. For shooting longer range with bow a needle-sized pin that is bright in dark conditions works best for me. Everyone's eye-sight is a little different but it helps having good vision (contacts, glasses, etc definitely help once you get older)!

It also helps having flatter trajectory....whether that is higher poundage, lighter arrows, over-draw, etc. Having the latest and greatest modern equipment likely helps.,..but where will long range shooting madness stop?

11-Feb-18
Just get comfortable with your pin covering what you want to hit. With normal float you will normally still get glimpses of even a small dot. Your brain still works amazingly well at long distances to center things. We just have to trust it.

11-Feb-18
I do not see the problem, I am 53 and have 20-15 vision in both eyes. I do not shoot long range with my bow, I mean rarely if ever beyond 60 yards but seeing a 2" spot at 100 yards is not difficult for me. Its not about seeing the spot it is holding fine enough to hit that spot with a bow, I myself cannot hold that well. now with a say .22 I can consistently hit shotgun shells at 75 to 80 yards with open sights much beyond that they become hard to see. I have a daughter who with an M-4 with open sights can consistently shoot a 6" group at 300 yards and the guys she shoots with all military can do it as well. Its like anything practice, practice and consistent form is what works! Shawn

11-Feb-18
I appreciate the suggestions of those who need corrected vision and/or a need to mitigate the effects thereof.

11-Feb-18
You night look at the Verifier, a couple guys I know of with "older" eyes said archery became fun again once they found this product.

11-Feb-18
Currently using a verifier, my friend. My pins are good. It's the hazy, amorphous target faces past 40 that are screwing with my head.

11-Feb-18
I realize this makes no scientific sense to me.....but when my close vision started deteriating in my early 50s.....pins became harder and harder to see.....10 years later the target also began to get fuzzy. I went to Wilderness Archery in Rocklin, Ca....they tested my eyes and set up a peep with the appropriate lens...and now (I swear this is true).....pins and target both are precise and clear !! Verifier is amazing...

• Sitka Gear