'Ike' (Phone) 10-Feb-18
Alpinehunter 11-Feb-18
Franzen 11-Feb-18
midwest 11-Feb-18
Mule Power 11-Feb-18
'Ike' (Phone) 11-Feb-18
Franzen 12-Feb-18
09-Feb-18
Getting some ideas in case the Elk thingy doesn’t work out...Looking at the units Northwest of Rawlins and areas around Casper...Have thought of 101/2 also....

09-Feb-18
Your best bet for a true whopper is likely Region G or H. Unfortunately they had pretty bad winterkill last winter so they are more or less in recovery mode. There were still a couple monsters shot there last year. SW Wyo also got hammered pretty hard a couple times by winterkill. That would be a fun hunt but it may be fairly tough finding 170+ bucks. I'm not exactly sure what unit you are considering that is NW of Rawlins. There aren't a whole lot of deer immediately NW of Rawlins? There are a few scattered units across Wyo that have potential. If you pm me I can send a few alternatives.

09-Feb-18
PM sent Jim, thanks...

10-Feb-18
You haven't said if it's DIY or outfitted. Some great bucks SW of Rawlins and S, but the land is almost all private or locked out.

10-Feb-18
DIY...

10-Feb-18
H or G is where you want to be...not sure if this is the year though with the winter kill the past years.

10-Feb-18
G’s to crowded for me...But one of the best and highly talked about areas!

10-Feb-18
LKH, any leads to get on any of that private? I’ve got max points for deer in WY.

Sorry Ike, not meaning to hijack. I agree with your plan to stay out of G&H. The big time outfit there isn’t doing so good since they can’t use airplanes anymore...

10-Feb-18
What are you looking for? 170+? 180? Nothing crowded in Wyoming compared to what I’m used to

10-Feb-18
I've got max deer points I need to burn someday. Any idea how 102 is doing these days? Don't care about size, would just like to see a bunch of deer to chase.

10-Feb-18
I rifle hunted G with an outfitter in 2016 and it is some of the most beautiful and productive Mule Deer country that you will ever see. We rode horses in and out every day and I didn't find it crowded. It would be a challenging but doable backpack hunt with sparse water up high. I'd go back in a heartbeat and would hunt there every year if I was a resident. I'll likely be bowhunting elk there this fall.

10-Feb-18
I agree 100% with Alpinehunter on his comments about Region G. I did a guided horseback hunt out of the Afton area in 2015 with my resident buddy and we got bucks in the 170s and 180s in 4 days. Then in 2016 he drew his OIL Shiras bull tag and I tagged along and went with the same outfitter and John got his bull and also killed a 193" NT mulie. In 2015 we only saw two other guys on the 4th day and they were on horses. In 2016 we didn't see any other hunters, so I 'd like to know where all the hunting pressure people talk about in G is because we sure didn't see it.

10-Feb-18
It's probably all the road hunters.

10-Feb-18
160+ and I’m happy...Guess I could find some horses for G!

11-Feb-18
I would be cautious about using that many points for G this year DIY without some serious intel gathering. The 2016-17 winter was very tough there. In addition, it would be best to be able to devote at least a week of scouting and be able to find some water and set up a camp in the higher country. Perhaps pack goat rental could be utilized. It's a much easier DIY deal for the residents as they can hunt it every year and build the knowledge base.

11-Feb-18
There are definitely some road hunters, but mostly a bowhunter could use that to their advantage. Find a nook or cranny that can't be viewed from the road. Most aren't going to venture too far off the road, even if they see a great buck 3 miles in. Even better, go before rifle starts.

11-Feb-18
...and beware rifle opens 9/15 in G. Gorgeous country and I saw an absolute gagger of a buck at a lower elevation than most of the MD hunters were hunting.

11-Feb-18
PM sent Ike. I have 5 points. I have intel out the wazoo about G. A good friend guided for Non Typical for years and I hunt elk there. I can ride and pack horses like a rhinestone cowboy too. Lol If I don’t draw elk we could become better friends real fast! Haha

11-Feb-18
Lol...MP, thanks! Not sold on spending that many points for a Gen, other than it is tops in the state...We’ll see how things go, still a lot of time and a lil winter left!

12-Feb-18
I was planning on putting in for H this year, because I'm done chasing G with my own points. You guys feel free to welcome me into that G group application though. ;^) On the above information, I assume Alpinehunter meant the previous year winter kill.

• Sitka Gear