Jaquomo 14-Feb-18
Fuzzy 14-Feb-18
Treeline 14-Feb-18
LKH 14-Feb-18
Steve H. 14-Feb-18
DonVathome 16-Feb-18
splitlimb13 17-Feb-18
11-Feb-18
The place I'll be packing in for deer this year has no water near camp or near where the deer are. I had an idea of going in this summer and building some kind of a water collector....tarp, 5 gallon bucket, etc. Something to collect rain water basically. Anyone ever done anything like that? Any pics or ideas to share on what you did what be awesome. There's gotta be someone on this site that has solved this problem before! Matt

11-Feb-18
If there are deer there must be water sources somewhere. At one of my spike camps it's just a trickle coming out from beneath a rock but I went in in summer and dug out a gallon sized pit that refills overnight. Not sure when your hunt is planned but remember that groundwater flow increases in fall as the plants' water needs decrease.

Anything to collect rainwater will also collect bugs and rodents.

I'd suggest taking a collapsible water container and filter-filling at wherever the nearest potable source is. A two gallon one doesn't weigh much. Worst case you could take in several in summer and fill them then. Just make sure you store them in the shade.

11-Feb-18
One of our elk spots is like this. During the summer we do 2 trips and each pack in 4 gallons . Always a challenge when water is hard to come by. I would a tarp and a 5 gallon bucket would work. But it could be nasty also . Just have those boys carry it :) Hunt

11-Feb-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Sometimes 'ya just gotta pack water!
Sometimes 'ya just gotta pack water!
Helps to have a kid to trade packs with!
Helps to have a kid to trade packs with!
Like Lou said - there will be water somewhere near where there are deer.

11-Feb-18
Sorry, double post

11-Feb-18
That must be brutal having that water jug so far off of your back. I hurt just looking at the picture.

11-Feb-18
That must be brutal having that water jug so far off of your back. I hurt just looking at the picture.

11-Feb-18
Hurt going in and hurt coming out on that one...

11-Feb-18
Deer don't need water like elk and antelope, as they have a completely different digestive system and can live just off the moisture in the food they eat. They will, however, go to water if it's around.

11-Feb-18
If you can find a seep you can dig it out and oftentimes it will fill up. I have done this in Alaska but never out West.

11-Feb-18
Topgun nailed it

11-Feb-18
Well...looks like we are packing water in this summer. Should work since I plan on two scouting trips over there. We'll spend some time looking for water on those trips. I have an idea for a contraption that would capture rain water and keep it clean so I may give that a shot too if it's looking desperate. Thanks guys.

11-Feb-18
Good luck!

11-Feb-18
If you spend time you’ll find water. The question is how low will you have to drop to find it. Any trickle can be developed into a usable water source. Dig a hole below the truckle. Drill holes in a 5 gallon bucket and drop it into the hole and run a small piece of pvc pipe out the side near the top. If the ground around the hole is too porous line it with plastic. There are other ways depending on the nature of the water source. The time it takes to find and develop a water source is truly priceless considering what it takes to pack an adequate supply of water. Good luck.

11-Feb-18
Take a couple of 5 gallon jugs for camp to get you by.

Sounds like a place where finding a waterhole could provide guaranteed success. I'd be looking hard on Google Earth for probable water spots.

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Feb-18
If you create a water catch you can always bring a pump purifier to extract the water. It would stink if you show up and it was empty.

11-Feb-18
I’d use topo maps way before Google Earth.

11-Feb-18
Several years ago we had a spot we camped at and water was about 1.5 miles and about 1500' drop to get to, so we didn't want to go there unless we needed to. We brought 1 gal jugs in all summer when we were checking trail cameras. When the hunt came we packed in and god damn bears popped every one of our containers!

I've not had luck, using Google Earth for finding spots, but I have had luck using publicly available GIS aerial imagery, which has a much higher resolution. I've done this for Utah, which is very dry and look for areas that are considerably more dark green compared to the surroundings and there is likely more water there.

11-Feb-18
If you decide to pack water in and stash it, be sure and either get it from a chlorinated source or use bleach jugs that weren't rinsed out for your water. For larger jugs, just put an ounce or so in the big jug, slosh it around and pour out what you can.

I have great well water, but wouldn't want to drink it after it was left in a jug for a couple months.

14-Feb-18
Was thinking we would filter the water when we get there before we drink it. Would that solve the problem you are referring to LKH? Or does it just go really bad sitting out there?

14-Feb-18
Unchlorinated water stored in plastic jugs can grow mold and or mildew. I don't know about filters but I've smelled it and wouldn't want to drink it. A couple drops of bleach will fix it, like Larry astutely pointed out.

14-Feb-18
If you are gonna have stationary downtime and surface water available, I'd boil rather than filter.

14-Feb-18
Mold/mildew is one, but after some time it can go aerobic due to microbial growth and die off and turn black. Really gets nasty and sometimes even a filter won't kill the taste and odor. Chlorinated water will keep stuff from growing in the first place. Boiling is a good option, too.

Would bet that, if you spend some time in that area, you will find another water source and be able to develop it a bit. Even though deer can go without a direct water source for a while, they probably have some place in that area to get a drink.

14-Feb-18
Sometimes you will find a small seep moving down the face of a rock. Often it disappears into ground or rock that you can't work with. Carry a gallon ziplock to push against the face and catch the water.

14-Feb-18
I couldn't find water one time in interior Alaska so I had to scoop out dirty water from a moose track one plastic lid at a time to partially fill a small bottle.

16-Feb-18
Pack it in.

17-Feb-18
If you find any type of water standing or running get a katadyn base camp filter. If not grab a pack horse and load up!

• Sitka Gear