Shug 12-Feb-18
Kurt 12-Feb-18
Shug 12-Feb-18
trkyslr 12-Feb-18
Bowfreak 13-Feb-18
ELKMAN 13-Feb-18
kentuckbowhnter 13-Feb-18
12-Feb-18
Never been a tinkerer with my bow. I get an arrow to fly straight and leave it at that. I shoot a Matthews Icon solid fiberglass limbs. I was just about to put new string and cable on the bow and I noticed a sliver of fiberglass splitting off one limp on the edge. It was the size of two toothpicks length wise and same as a toothpick width wise.

I trimmed it off sanded it down and sealed it.

My question is since it’s solid fiberglass should it still hold up or should I consider retirement?

12-Feb-18
Not sure about the limb but even if this is your back up bow the innovation since the early 2,000’s has been significant and there will be many new or used bow options at all kinds of price points. Safety first and good luck. C

12-Feb-18
Thanks Charlie... I actually have 4 of the same exact bow but this one has been my main bow.

12-Feb-18
I hear ya. When the Legacy came out in 2002 I quickly bought a second one since it was sooo good. Never thought they could make a better bow. Still own one of those Legacy’s but my lead bow is the Halon 32:)

12-Feb-18
I would have a dealer look at it. I am not sure that you can tell for sure how they will hold up though. My son had that happen to one of his bows and the bow company replaced the limbs at no charge. I would not risk a hunt to them. Good luck.

12-Feb-18
You just can't answer that question without a thorough inspection. Something caused that sliver. Was it just a snag? or is the Limb fractured in such a way that it "popped" at the edge?

12-Feb-18
I retired my Martin Pantera (circa late 90s) with the same issue. Bought an Elite Pure...best move I ever made. I get it, your bow is like a part of your body after awhile. I'd hate to give up my Elite at this point! Good luck with it, either way.

Best of Luck, Jeff

12-Feb-18
Shug,

Two years ago I had that happen (maybe not quite to your degree) and the dealer ordered limbs and replaced (warranty) asap.

I would definitely have a dealer put it on a board (under stress) so he/she can see exactly the extent of the breaks.

Mark

12-Feb-18
Thanks guys

12-Feb-18
That happened on my old Hoyt vetrix. Brought it to a guy near my buddies place when I first noticed it. He was saying "oh it's a huge deal you need limbs". 400 bucks. The bow wasn't worth that much so I went back to my normal guy and showed him. He laughed, cut it, sanded it, and sent me on my way.

12-Feb-18
"or should I consider retirement? "

You should absolutely consider Retirement Shug, you'll get to do a lot more hunting!

12-Feb-18
LOL ... ACE

Actually I am retired

12-Feb-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Ok... I’m pulling a couple of them apart and doing a complete over haul on two...I’ll use the splintered one for Bowfishing to see how it holds up for a while.

I have to admit I’m very attached to this model bow. As I said I have 4 of them and if things go as planned I’ll be using them for the next 40 years.

12-Feb-18
Forget the bow, where's the Coues deer mount? I LOVE that deer...:)

You should be able to "cobble" two good Icons out of 4.

12-Feb-18
LoL...Cory

12-Feb-18
Splits and splinters on fiberglas is never a good thing. I have dealt with them on bows, fishing rods and golf club shafts. Soon or later there is going to be some serious trouble and in the case of a bow limb, possible injury. A small split or splinter on fiberglas is like a small hernia- sooner or later it's probably going to present a big problem.

I would either get replacement limbs (if possible) or upgrade you bow. Probably not the answer you wanted, but it's an honest answer.

12-Feb-18
Thanks Greg... I did forget to mention it’s not in a working portion of the limb

12-Feb-18
Tried to salvage Drenalin limb I fell on in the slide rock and splintered. It didn’t shoot well after that, even though I sanded it out. Got new used limbs from a great Mathews dealer in Jaffray, BC for a good price. Shot fine with new limbs.

12-Feb-18
Thanks Kurt

12-Feb-18
Time for new bow... spoil yourself mark!

13-Feb-18
Shug,

Mathews makes replacement parts for anything they've ever sold. If you want a few sets of limbs you could easily get them.

13-Feb-18
It probably will, but I would get it warrantied just to be safe. DO NOT let them see the press you are using or they won't touch your warranty claim...

13-Feb-18
get a new set of limbs from mathews and it will be good as new.

• Sitka Gear