Cheesehead Mike 21-Feb-18
WapitiBob 21-Feb-18
PeteO 21-Feb-18
Cheesehead Mike 22-Feb-18
19-Feb-18
After second day in the field the toe rand started coming off both boots. Sucks cause I put a ton of miles on these boots on the treadmill breaking them in. Treated them two days before taking them out with lowa water proof spray and the cream the day before I left. Anyone have these boots with good or bad experience? Shoes.com are taking them back so positive feedback on them. Get on there e-mail list and they are always sending me 30% coupons.

So long story short sell me on a boot for Sept. Montana backpack elk hunt.

19-Feb-18
I love my Lowas (all 7 pair), but I'm hard on the rands. I usually just Shoe Goo them as soon as I have any problems and that usually fixes any issues. My Caminos have not had any issues, but I don't wear them as hard as the others.

19-Feb-18
How do you guys like the Camino's other than the rand issue? I'm looking at a new pair for this fall and was leaning hard toward the Camino. I love my Renegades but want a little more boot, the Camino looks like the perfect mid point without going up to something like a Tibet which is way more boot than I need.

19-Feb-18
I picked up a pair of these last year at Shoes.com also, and loved them. Put a lot of miles on them, had no problems.

19-Feb-18
I almost got Caminos but liked the reviews I was seeing for Lowa Vantage GTX. I believe they are also a little bit lighter weight. With the discount code I got them for around $100. Another similar boot that I've used and abused the last 5 years (2 pairs) are Scarpa Kailash. They are similar medium weight hikers. I had Renegades and although they were super light and comfortable they didn't seem to last as long with the stitching, etc. I wear mine every day in the field during summer through winter and hammer the heck out of them in all conditions. I haven't tried my Vantages yet but have a feeling they ought to be good.

19-Feb-18
Absolutely love my Caminos and Renegades.

19-Feb-18
I like the Camino, but find myself wearing the Rangers more...

20-Feb-18
I really like my Caminos but the rand is coming loose on mine too. I was going to send them back but decided not to worry about it. It's not bad and I'll glue them if necessary. I put a lot of miles on them last fall with a light pack and a 100 pounds of elk meat, etc. and for me they're the perfect compromise between the Renegade and the Tibet.

Any of you guys thinking about something in the line of the Tibet, I strongly suggest you look at the Hanwag Alaska. I've got the Tibets and the Alaska's and I like the Alaska's a little better.

21-Feb-18
Ohio, the sizing and fit is very similar. I wear an 11 Wide in both. The heel on the Hanwag might be a little less volume.

On the Hanwag, the lacing goes a little closer to the toe so the toe-box section is a little shorter. For me this results in a little better fit in the front part of the boot.

21-Feb-18
Hanwag Alaska comes in wide. Deals are tough. Got mine for $260 and they blew out a bunch for $200 including wide about a year ago on campsaver but haven't seen a $200 deal since.

21-Feb-18
I bought hanwags on that sale, but nothing compared to my tibets. I had my tibets refurbished for $75 i think. Lowa sent them to Germany and put new soles and rand on them.

22-Feb-18
I bought my Hanwag Alaska's on sale from Campsaver too. I think WapitiBob turned me on to the deal. Thanks Bob!

Ohio, I believe my feed are an E width. I have a low volume foot with a very high instep/arch, narrow heel and a wide forefoot. To add to the challenge, my right foot is a size 11 and my left foot is size 10 or maybe even a little smaller. I've learned to adapt to the challenges of getting my left boot to fit. And yes, my Hanwag are 11 Wide.

22-Feb-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Lowa on the left, Hanwag on the right. In this photo you can see that the toe box on the Hanwag is a little shorter with the laces going closer to the toe.
Lowa on the left, Hanwag on the right. In this photo you can see that the toe box on the Hanwag is a little shorter with the laces going closer to the toe.
Hanwag left, Lowa right. Again the differences in the toe-box is evident. Sometimes the Lowa rubs the top of my feet where the toe flexes. But not with the Hanwag.
Hanwag left, Lowa right. Again the differences in the toe-box is evident. Sometimes the Lowa rubs the top of my feet where the toe flexes. But not with the Hanwag.
Hanwag left, Lowa right. The Hanwag has a leather lined collar and tongue compared to the Lowa cloth lined. I prefer the leather.
Hanwag left, Lowa right. The Hanwag has a leather lined collar and tongue compared to the Lowa cloth lined. I prefer the leather.
Sole comparison. Haven't noticed any traction differences but the Hanwag seems slightly softer and more flexible. Obviously I'm single... putting dirty boots on the kitchen counter ;^)
Sole comparison. Haven't noticed any traction differences but the Hanwag seems slightly softer and more flexible. Obviously I'm single... putting dirty boots on the kitchen counter ;^)
Here's a comparison between Lowa Tibet's and Hanwag Alaska's.

22-Feb-18

Lowa Tibet size 11W
Lowa Tibet size 11W
Hanwag Alaska, size 11W
Hanwag Alaska, size 11W
Weight comparison.

22-Feb-18
You're welcome James, good luck!

Also, I run the Lathrop & Son's footbeds in mine and really like them...

• Sitka Gear