Jaquomo 20-Feb-18
Whocares 21-Feb-18
Irishman 21-Feb-18
Whocares 21-Feb-18
SJJ 23-Feb-18
jims 23-Feb-18
krieger 24-Feb-18
19-Feb-18
Looking for opinions on boots I ordered. I ordered and received 3 pair of boots this week for September elk hunting. Did this to see which I liked and will return two, or one pair. Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX, Vasque Breeze 3 GTX, and Kenetrek Bridger Ridge High. I like the lighter uninsulated for September. Have worn the Vasque and Kenetrek models both for years and liked them both, Never owned Salomon. The new models have changed, as I'm sure you've experienced over the years. The Kenetrek Bridger Ridge Highs are significantly shorter than previously and the toe rand does not look as good as my old ones. The Vasque are more similar to my older ones. The Salomon are almost an inch higher than the Vasque and look well built. All three feel decent walking in my living room. Comments, experiences?? Thanks!

19-Feb-18
I think you did the right thing by buying boots and trying them on. Every foot is different and what works for me might not work for you. That said, I’ve worn vasque and Salomons. The 4d are amazing. They are light weight and don’t have a ton of rigidity, but when I put them on they felt like an old pair of tennis shoes. My feet absolutely love them!

19-Feb-18
I ran the Salomon quest 4d gtx last year in Montana. They were awesome here at home. When I started climbing up and down and sidehilling they started stretching and couldn't keep them tight on my feet. Then it started raining and snowing, as you will find on a ton of reviews these boot are definitely not waterproof at all. They tore my feet up.

19-Feb-18
I hike a lot. A lot, a lot. Several hundred miles already in 2018. I greatly prefer a trail runner paired with trekking poles for any on-trail hiking. However, for bushwhacking/backcountry travel, I do use a boot. I had a pair of Vasques (although not that model) and they split apart very quickly.

I did a 35-day backcountry trip (no trails, untouched wilderness) this past summer putting boots through literal hell. Glaciers, swamps, endless sharp scree, cliffs, boulder fields, and frequent stream crossings. My boots were wet for all of or most of 25+ days. I was accompanied by two friends, both of whom started with top-of-the-line boots. We all had different manufacturers, and mine were the only ones to hold up. My friend's ASOLOs split completely in half and had to be lashed together with accessory cord.

I wore Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX, and they really were phenomenal. I've since purchased another pair, and they too are holding up amazingly. They're the best boots I've owned, are comfortable, and Salomon also has an excellent warranty (either 1 or 2 years, I do not recall).

They do seem to run small. I wear mine a full size smaller than my street shoe. If they fit your foot, I'd absolutely recommend them!

19-Feb-18
I've always like Meindls for off camber type work. For more moderate use, I like Russells.

Boots are so personal...what works for one will be lousy for the next guy. One thing I would recommend is using inserts if your boots have a little space. They really lock down my narrow feet and with the use of good socks (Smartwool, etc) they really help with long days and lots of miles.

20-Feb-18

Overland's embedded Photo
Overland's embedded Photo
ohiohunter, For one reason or another I greatly enjoy hiking and seem to be able to hike farther and faster than most. It's not my job, just a hobby. Being able to get really far back on public land has served me very well in my hunting (although getting animals out is a challenge!)

If you're interested, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll shoot you a copy of my trip journal from this past summer's adventure. It was a heck of a good time, and in the future the memories of constant rain and mosquitos will fade.

Here is why you don't buy ASOLOs. These were brand new at the start of the trip. 20 days later, they split entirely apart on both sides of both boots and had to be lashed together for the remainder of the trip.

20-Feb-18
I owned 2 pair of the Salomon quest. first pair bought in 2011 got 2 good solid years of use, and another year of use just kicking around hunting flat easy ground. waterproofing didnt last too long but was really happy with the boot. I bought a second pair in 2014 and they were garbage completely fell apart in 6 months with less hiking then I had done with the first pair and they were not waterproof at all.

20-Feb-18
Lowa

20-Feb-18
Anyone here have experience with the Lowa Ticam II GTX's?? They run narrow or normal?

My last experience with Lowas wasnt the best, but I'm interested in trying them again in a different model.

20-Feb-18
For the guys that know way more about trial runners/boots, what are some brands that don't have high heels on them?? Drives me nuts, I have some Keens, wear them around the farm in the summer, ankle high light hiking shoe, nice and flat, much easier on my back it seems. My Zamberlans, Lowa, Asolo, hunting boots ,all have a raised heel, sorry for the highjack ,but someone please send me in the correct direction for a " flatter" type boot.

20-Feb-18
krieger, as far as trail runners, Altras are zero drop. Check them out, I've run hundreds of miles in them.

20-Feb-18
I have loved my meindl lighthikers.

20-Feb-18
Check out crispis great boots.

20-Feb-18
My Quests and the vasques leaked almost instantly. Great for dry ground yard work or hiking on dirt trails.

20-Feb-18
Another vote for the Salomons. But I'm an old lightweight. Only have around 200 mountain miles on mine, but they're still going strong and only leaked a little at the toe after being saturated for a day.

21-Feb-18
Shipped the Kenetreks back. Definitely that model not what it was before. Keeping the old reliable Vasques and the Salomons that I never had before. Keeping two pair cuz I don't have to ask permission! Now going to strap on the snowshoes this morning and head out in the foot of new snow we got this week to see what's happening. (guess we never get old snow!)

21-Feb-18
Are any boots really waterproof for a long time? And if they are, don't they just make your feet sweat more, resulting in wet feet anyway? I've read on other hiking sites that the key really is to wear something comfortable for hiking in, and bring along multiple pairs of good quick drying socks.

21-Feb-18
They aren't really waterproof. More water resistant. Quality of the leather is a factor too. I believe the goretex linings actually wear out from the inside from wear or use. I put a lot of miles on and expect the second year the goretex not to be as effective. I actually don't get much more than two hunting Falls out of a pair before I retire them to "home" use and woods work. Important to treat the leather as you use them too. I always discard the cheapy inner sole the comes in boots. and tennies as well, and replace them with a good inner sole. Also recommend wearing a thin poly type liner sock under a merino wool sock such as Darntuff even in warm weather. Foot care as important as the boot.

23-Feb-18
My Solomn's were $125...no complaints...all others were 300+

23-Feb-18
If you plan on lots of rain, water, and snow I'd look at boots with the least amount of stitching and seams. The fewer...the better. As mentioned above not all leather is created equally. A boot similar to Lowa Tibets with hardly a stitch will likely handle water very well. Tibets are stiff plus a bit heavy so the only time I wear them is in deep snow....never a problem with wet feet!

I've had several Scarpa and Lowa boots over the years that are gortex lined. The only one I had leak was Lowa Renegades after they got a bunch of use. Renegades are super comfortable and lightweight but the thinner leather tended to leak after a lot of use and abuse. I've totally abused a couple pairs of Scarpa in rain and snow and never had leakage problems. I've been on a number of Alaska trips over the years and never really had wet feet. My preference is mid-weight hikers that have a little more support and padding for super rough, rocky terrain. If you want something lighter and won't be hammering them in water or on steep hillsides it may be tough to beat Renegades. With that said, I don't think you could go wrong with Scarpas or Lowas.

24-Feb-18
Thanks midwest, I will try a pair.

• Sitka Gear