Neubauer 26-Sep-18
Neubauer 27-Oct-18
Neubauer 27-Oct-18
Bou'bound 15-Dec-18
Shug 16-Dec-18
Greg S 16-Dec-18
Bou'bound 30-Oct-21
21-Feb-18
I’ve enjoyed reading all of the posts and seeing the pictures over the years and rather go back through all of the searches and re-reading everything, I’m hoping those that have been will respond here so we can all have the information compiled and condensed in one thread. Would you Greenland hunters be willing to answer the following questions in a short reply?

Time of year of your trip?

Bow specs? i.e. make, model, draw weight and length

Arrow specs? i.e make, model, and additional weights or inserts

Broadhead? make, model and weight

Did you take a backup bow? Yes or No

Boots?

Rain gear?

Other?

22-Feb-18
For me. I was there the first week of August. Elite energy 35. 70 lb at 28 inches. Arrows were Carbon express piledrivers with a 50 gr brass inserts. 125 gr 3 blade VPA broadheads. Total arrow weight 526 grs.

I did not take a back up bow.

I wore salomon boots. If you are just doing musk ox, I suppose you could get away with rubber boots. But if you go up after caribou, you will do some serious hiking and should have boots suited for it. I wished by boots were a little higher when we crossed a stream. Even with gaiters, I got alittle water in.

Rain gear, for sure. And make sure it's good rain gear. It didn't rain much, but the couple days it did, it was cold, soaking rain. One of those days I was up after caribou it was chilly, windy and rainy. A hiking pole really helped with balance getting up into the mountains(depending on route).

22-Feb-18
We were there in July. I used an Elite Synergy. 67 pounds with a 31.5" draw length. Arrows were Full Metal Jackets with 50 grain brass inserts and 125 grain Viper Tricks up front. 540 grains total and a complete pass through on my musk ox at 20 yards or so. Did not take a backup bow. I wore Schnees Bearclaw boots and they were great. Quality raingear is a must. I had Kuiu Chugach.

22-Feb-18
I was there first week of October. I wore Lowa boots. Rain gear is a must. Kuiu chagach as well. All gear was in fact kuiu to cut down on travel weight. No back up bow. I shot a Hoyt defiant at 71lbs 28”dL. Easton full metal jackets with 200 grain vpa solids. Arrow weight was like 550. Arrow blew through. You won’t shoot past 30 on the musk ox. Caribou shots can be out to 80+ depending on your ability. Hiking poles for caribou were important but not for Muskox. You won’t walk far for Muskox. Each of the four Muskox hunts lasted a whopping 1 1/2 hour max. Caribou is an all day exhausting hunt. Far more fun imo.

22-Feb-18
Thanks guys, hopefully the others will chime in as well!

22-Feb-18
I was there the last week of July in 2016. Mattews Monster set at 70 lbs, 28 1/2" draw. Arrows were Easton Full Metal Jacket Dangerous game with 75 grain brass inserts. Broaheads were Montec G5 100 grain CS. I didn't take a back-up bow. I had KUIU Chugach rain gear and never needed it. All clothing was KUIU. If you're going early for Muskox, you won't need the nsulated boots. I wore Columbia hikers even when climbing the mountain to hunt Caribou. I had 400 gr. Thinsulate Danner boots that I wore on the first day and didn't wear again. if you're going later in the year, ask the outfitter what he recommends for boots. Hiking poles are highly recommended if you're going after Caribou. My muskox hunt lasted all day and wasn't as easy as the other hunters in the group. You're in for a great trip. Bring a good camera and also GoPro your hunt. Bring a two piece fishing pole and put in your bow case. Bring plenty of lures also. You won't be going down to the local Sporting goods store on this hunt. What are your hunt dates?

23-Feb-18
I was there second week of August. Bugs were brutal when it was calm. Shot a Chill R at 70lb 28 inches. Used 4mm fmj’s with double inserts and 125 solid broad-heads. Didn’t take a backup bow. Had Kenetrek boots. As others have alluded the musk ox hunting is pretty easy, but the caribou hunting is a mountain hunt. I had lightweight rain gear but never needed it. I think if you went September or October it would be more crucial. Be patient with the travel would be a tip I’d pass. It’s a ton of travel to get there and back.

23-Feb-18
Randy, not going until July 2019. I wish it were this summer, the wait is already killing me!

23-Feb-18
Leaving the first of April. I got my arrows up to 530 grains with arrow tubes. Can't wait for this... Ed F

23-Feb-18
I went the last of September, My bow a hoyt carbon spider @ 62#s Arrow VAP with 90gr. inserts with paracord inserted in the shaft, 100gr Magnus stinger 4 blade. Total WT. with lighted knock 525gr. Sitka raingear Kenetrek boots and gaiters. had complete pass through

24-Feb-18
I was there in July same time as Stekewood. Hoyt carbon Defiant 61# , 26" DL, FMJ with 75 gr insert and 125 gr Silver Flame. I was a little concerned because of the lower draw weight and my short DL but it was not a concern. 13 yard shot, pass through with one of the ribs being sliced. No back up bow and I would't take one, especially if it was just muskox. Meindl boots. Core4Element rain gear. Not heavy duty but worked really well. Frank does have fishing rods there but it is nice to have your own. I just had a cheap telescoping one and it worked really well. If you are staying in Iceland for a few days before, there is an archery lane to get a few reps in. We got to Iceland 5 days before the hunt and drove around, it was fantastic.

26-Feb-18

Antler's embedded Photo
Bull down
Antler's embedded Photo
Bull down
I was there in July 2016 with Frank Feldman,s outfit. Bluebird weather with no bugs. Bow-Mathews Switchback LD at 65 pounds. Arrow was an Easton Axis fitted with a 75 grain spinning insert weighing in at 525 grains. Broadhead was a Bear Razorhead at 105grains. Shot distance was 15 yards through the heart. No backup bow taken. Boots- Danner Antelope- never got into wet walking conditions on the hunt. Cabelas raingear. I don't know whether they fixed this or not but when we went you needed to have your broadheads in a different piece of luggage than your bow when you entered Iceland customs. I would split them up into two locations. One hunter had his wife's suitcase impounded in Iceland when the scanner picked up the broadheads and the agent just stopped the suitcase from being forwarded to Greenland. Unhappy wife!! We did a two week farmstead bed and breakfast tour all around Iceland before we went to Greenland. Highly recommended. A very unique country.

26-Feb-18
Does landing in Thule for fuel after coming down from the North Pole count???

27-Feb-18
I’m heading up the first week of August as well. I’m a notorious over packer so I’m gonna have to get the weight down I assume.

I always bring a back up bow everywhere so I’ll have to cut weight down even more. I believe I read that 45# is luggage weight limit is that correct?

A question I have did anyone have any lost luggage problems?

28-Feb-18
No one in our group had luggage lost and we had to make our travel through Copenhagen from the states. We all had 50lb bags

28-Feb-18
Just remember that people at the airport are not familiar with compound bows and how they work....

we were asked to prove that our Hoyt compounds were "unloaded not ready to fire"

01-Mar-18
So did you just explain how a bow works, or did you use a zip tie so it couldn't be drawn, like they do in the big box stores?

29-Jun-18
What is the all in cost of this adventure not including anything associated with taxidermy

02-Jul-18
I won't know until next summer, so someone else is going to have to answer for now.

02-Jul-18
Headed there in late August and would love to hear more about having broadheads in a separate bag from bow. I was planning on just taking 1 bag( badlands terraglide) and a carryon. If anyone has any issues with the broadheads being in same bag I would appreciate anymore info on this. Thanks!

02-Jul-18
I packed everything in my Sitka Nomad bag. No issues. I think there could be an issue going into Iceland but none of our group had any.

02-Jul-18
When I flew into Iceland from Edmonton, and when I flew from Iceland to Greenland they wanted to see the bow and they wanted to see the broad heads (in a different bag).

03-Jul-18
Earlier this year coming home from New Zealand I had to have my broadheads in a separate bag from my bow case. Going into NZ wasn't an issue though. When I asked about it, they told me it was a regulation going into the US. I wasn't going to argue so just had to move them into my other checked bag.

04-Jul-18
Just remember to look at baggage weights and restrictions per the airline. Sometimes they can be very strict with weight... including your carry on

Boubound, I would answer that question but then it would sound like I was selling a hunt lol.

I can say that the guys who are under $4000 euro are probably going to provide a pretty cheap hunt. Crap equipment, more public hunting area, preassured animals, crappy boat, etc etc

Processing trophies through Denmark is not cheap....but it is what it is.

05-Jul-18
I been on the fence booking this, not bringing any meat home has been the deal breaker for me but that may change. I like everything about the Greenland hunt vs the Canadian verison except the meat.

05-Jul-18
Interesting thread. This hunt is definitely on my bucket list. Is traditional equipment still banned in Greenland for muskox?

05-Jul-18
There's a Bowsiter or two on this hunt right now. Hopefully, we'll get a full report upon their return.

05-Jul-18
When flying back from Greenland to Iceland, police came out of a room and asked us what we had in our cases. We told them we had archery equipment. The cops just waved us on. I did have some trouble getting my bowcase checked in by the airline. The gate agents really don’t know anything about bows. Another gate agent was called over and she instructed the first gate agent to tag my bowcase for the flight. The gate agent will not take your bow case after tagging it. You’ll need to carry it over to the scanner area. I waited to make sure my bowcase got through. Be patient in Iceland and everything should work out. I highly recommend staying a couple of day in Reykjavik. The food is great and everything is in walking distance. We took a bus from the airport to Reykjavik for approx. $40 round trip. You can store your bow case and gear bag at a storage company right outside the airport to avoid having to drag everything to Reykjavik with you. The storage fee was approx.$13. Pack some street clothes in your carry-on bag.

05-Jul-18
Trad equipment is still not allowed in Greenland.

05-Jul-18
Getting the trophies home has been the biggest expense in my opinion. I really had no idea it would cost this much and I’m still not done getting them home. Once in a lifetime deal for me. Still worth it

05-Jul-18
Thanks Chief. I am hoping someday this ridiculous law will change

05-Jul-18
Been thinking abou Greenland. Can those that have been there elaborate on the costs and issues of bringing a musk ox skull and cape back?

05-Jul-18
I'd be more worried about the airline losing your gear. British Airways lost our gear coming and going...

How much did you guys pay to get your trophies back? Ours are in Copenhagen now being tanned. Ed F

05-Jul-18
Went in July, used a 2 blade head, 530 grain arrow, 50# bow. Any rain gear is fine. Dont over think this trip. It's more of an adventure than a hunt. 90% of bowhunters kill the 1st one they stalk. Usually at very close ranges.

06-Jul-18
Good advice Cheif in Reykjavik. It is a beautiful area and well worth it ON THE WAY HOME. I always suggest doing touring after the hunt just in case of weather delays or baggage issues.

BOWUNTER - Here is the breakdown for me...

Transfer from Greenland - 104 Euro per person (total invoice was split between group) Dip Pack full body Muskox - 1400 Euro Shipping to NY - 235 Euro per person (total invoice was split between group of 5) Clearance in NY - $105 USD per person

06-Jul-18
Agree with everyone else on the shipping costs. You do have some time after your hunt is over before needing to pay for the shipping & taxidermy charges. Those expenses aren’t all due at one time, so it’s “tolerable”. Muskox live far from anywhere. The price to hunt them reflects that.

06-Jul-18
Chief... correct. And Muskox are big. So shipping full body heavy capes like that anywhere isnt going to be cheap.

20-Jul-18
Anyone back from Greenland on this years hunts. I know some guys from here were headed over there

20-Jul-18
Any suggestions on carrying cash? They want all trophy fees, cape handling fees, and hotels to be paid with cash. I’m going with my 17yo son and that’s a fair chunk of change, especially if we both shoot a caribou ($3k trophy fee each). How did you guys do it?

21-Jul-18
I carried a lot of cash thinking credit cards wouldn’t be accepted. I was able to use my credit card in Narsarsuaq & Qaqortoq. Not sure if your hunt Iis going through Nuuk, but that’s the Capitol of Greenland, so expect cards are accepted. As usual, tips to the guide vary, but you’ll want enough US cash to tip. Hotels and food on either end of your hunt are expensive, but credit cards are usually accepted. My advice is bring more cash than you think you’ll need. The gift shop at the hotel is Nararsuaq took cash and had a great selection of unique items.

21-Jul-18
Credit cards with the chip worked when I was there. The other cards did not swipe.

23-Jul-18
Neubauer and I were at Franks in early October, which was the last hunt of the season. I used a 70 pound Bowtech RPM360, No back-up bow was taken on this trip. The arrows were Easton FMJ Dangerous game shafts with brass inserts and stainless outserts with 180 grain German Kinetic Silver Flames. The arrow/broadhead setup weighed 804 grains which is more than necessary for the muskox but I already had them from earlier trips for asiatic and cape buffalo. I also took my 400 grain Gold Tips with 100 grain Silver Flames for the caribou hunt. The sight was Montana Black Gold adjustable, with yardage marks for both arrows depending upon which was being used at the time. Clothing of choice was Kuiu layering system, Chugach Rain Gear, and the boots were Kenetrek.

The muskox portion of the hunt is relatively easy as they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The muskox live in relative close proximity to the shoreline which made locating them by boat pretty easy. Once located, hunter and guide were put ashore for the stalk. Of the four bowhunters in camp, I don't think any of the stalks lasted more than an hour or so.

The caribou hunt is a different story as they live further from the shoreline and at higher elevation. I don't know the distance the other hunters traveled but it was estimated that I walked about six miles inland to the head of a valley to a pass between two mountain ranges. I didn't have the climb that the other hunters had, but thats a twelve mile round trip.

My take-away from this hunt is that it was more of an adventure trip than many of the other hunts I've been on. It is a remote part of the world that takes effort just to get to, in travel time. The boat ride through the fiords and icebergs was worth the price of admission to me.

The hunt was right at $10K. The dip and pack was 1325 Euro. I still have not received the trophies back from Denmark, so there will be additional brokerage fees on this end once they arrive.

We exchanged US dollars for DKK Kroner for currency. If you do the currency exchange at your local bank, you will avoid the charge doing so at the airport. Be sure to contact your bank several days before you travel as they typically will not have foreign currency on hand and will have to order it for you.

We did use our credit card with chip in Iceland, Denmark, and Greenland with no issue. It is a good idea to call your credit card company in advance of your trip to advise them that you will be traveling internationally. I experienced zero difficulty traveling with my bow and broad heads.

23-Jul-18

dj's embedded Photo
Greenland Muskox...I really loved the blue color of their face.
dj's embedded Photo
Greenland Muskox...I really loved the blue color of their face.

23-Jul-18

dj's embedded Photo
I was the last in camp to take a caribou. In five days, four bowhunters each got their muskox and caribou.
dj's embedded Photo
I was the last in camp to take a caribou. In five days, four bowhunters each got their muskox and caribou.
We looked up and saw antlers coming over the crest of the mountain pass we were climbing. Being no cover anywhere we dropped to the ground, my bow still strapped to my backpack. I finally got the bow loose and an arrow knocked as the bull quickly closed the distance. Laying flat of my back with arrow at ready, Knut called out the ranges as he approached. At 42 yards I sat up, still flat of my butt, and at the movement the bull stopped and turned facing me. I drew, held and waited for him to turn. He turned broadside but never paused....things went into autopilot and the arrow flew true. One of the most difficult shots I've ever made.

23-Jul-18

dj's embedded Photo
dj's embedded Photo
Caped out and ready for the trek back to the boat. In the background you can see the ocean approximately six miles away where the boat was moored.

23-Jul-18
Beautiful bulls... congratulations

23-Jul-18
Wow Dreabon what a trip and what animals! That caribou is absolutely stunning.

25-Jul-18
Thanks APauls.

25-Jul-18
Spectacular caribou and ox, Dreabon! Congratulations!

Love that ‘bou!

Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to make that trip when my bow is legal.

26-Jul-18
Beautiful bulls dj

Who did you use for dip/pack in Denmark?? You can send me a PM

26-Jul-18
The day we walked in after my caribou I counted 42 muskox Bulls. There are lots of muskox in Franks Hunting area.

26-Jul-18
dj check your pm's

28-Jul-18
Some guys should be back by now

30-Jul-18
Our Musk Ox trophies have arrived at JFK. Just a tad over a year since we got back from our hunt. Will be nice to get our hands on them again.

31-Jul-18
I returned from the hunt with Frank Feldman a couple weeks ago. It is a very cool place and we also spent a few days in Iceland to round out the trip. Those two places combined for some incredible scenery!

Here's my info from the OP's original questions.

Bow specs? i.e. make, model, draw weight and length

2006 Bowtech Allegiance 60 # 28.5" draw

Arrow specs? i.e make, model, and additional weights or inserts

Carbon Express piledrivers. I added three Q-Tips to mine to get them over the 525 grains as this is my everyday whitetail bow and it was easy to get the arrow weight on spec.

Broadhead? make, model and weight

125 grain Grizz Trick

Did you take a backup bow? Yes or No

No, and really don't need one. With a camp full of guys that would likely let you borrow one if someone had a major mishap. The shot distances are very close, so the fit wouldn't have to be perfect on the borrowed bow.

Boots?

I used a hiking boot along with my Gators. My bull died in a small creek and the gators were nice to get him out even though the water went over the top and soaked my boot...

Rain gear?

I took KUIU Chugach. Take as good of rain gear as you can. The boat rides can be wet and the weather could be nasty the entire hunt. It's not likely, but possible.

Other?

Be very patient on the hunt, it's not that hard and the animals give you plenty of time.

I used a credit card everywhere and only carried cash to pay for the shipping in camp. You could also wire that money.

One last thing, make sure you know how your outfitter (there are several in Greenland) is going to run the hunt, we chatted with several people in town that had been run thru a cattle call with another outfitter.

31-Jul-18
The hotel in Narsarsuaq accepted your credit card?

Regarding your last statement, did you hunt with Frank Feldmann?

31-Jul-18
Yes, the hotel in Narsarsuaq accepted Amex.

Yes, I hunted with Frank. I just edited my post to make it clear.

31-Jul-18
I agree with Pat 100%.

31-Jul-18
How did the travel logistics go and any issues with baggage / bows in Iceland.

Posting pictures would be welcome if you have the time at some point. Thanks for sharing.

31-Jul-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
My brothers bull that was mostly on film
My brothers bull that was mostly on film
My bull
My bull
The travel and logistics were fine if my travel agent (me) would've book the tickets when we knew the dates. The rest was gravy!

Traveling up there was as easy as travel here. Just make sure you know the weight and baggage limits of your carrier.

I have many more pics that I can probably get up in the future.

31-Jul-18
"I honestly don't see any reason to hunt with anyone besides Frank. His prices are reasonable and you have at least 30 references right from this forum that will vouch for this quality bowhunt. I have heard the horror stories about the other outfitters too and would never consider them."

We hunted with Karsten Lings out of Kangerlussuaq and had an incredible hunt. 5 bowhunters killed 8 muskox and it was much cheaper than Franks. I was told that Frank and Karsten are the only two to hunt with... So there is another option. Ed F

02-Aug-18
Got an email today from Coppersmith....my bou and muskox are back in the states! Took 10 months.

02-Aug-18

Stekewood's embedded Photo

02-Aug-18

02-Aug-18
Everything arrived in good order and it looks like they did a good job. Taking them to the taxidermist tomorrow.

02-Aug-18
I second Karsten as well ... a few grand cheaper...

02-Aug-18
For those of you that have been there, which airlines have you used to get to Iceland?Doesn’t sound like British Airways is a good choice if they lost Ed’s bags twice. Has anyone used Icelandic Air? I live in the Chicago area and see they have non-stop flights. Thanks

02-Aug-18
We flew Icelandair and it was great. No issues.

02-Aug-18
Thanks Steve.

08-Aug-18
So do the capes come back from Denmark completely tanned and ready for the taxi to mount right away?

08-Aug-18
Our capes went to First Class Taxidermy and came back tanned and ready for mounting.

08-Aug-18
For comparison purposes, could someone post the fee structure for Karsten Lings? They don't list fees on their website. Frank is (or was) 9450 plus 2500 TF per animal, for the southern hunt. I'm not changing plans, just curious.

08-Aug-18
Maybe it's already been mentioned and I missed it, but what about fishing gear? I'm NOT a fisherman and don't really have a huge interest, but thought it might be fun to throw a line in the water during the down time. What would you guys recommend bringing?

08-Aug-18
Light to middle weight rod and Shinny red/silver lures. Fishing is awesome and the char are beautiful. There are also large cod to be caught.

08-Aug-18

Neubauer's embedded Photo
Neubauer's embedded Photo

08-Aug-18
I am actually in Iceland today and flew a direct flight from KC to Reykjavík. Flight time was under 7 hours and we flew Iceland Air. Seeing how easy it is to get here for our vacation makes me wish I had a little more time on my schedule for Muskox. Next time I’ll plan a few years ahead. Nothing but good things to say about Iceland air and Iceland.

26-Sep-18
What backpack would everyone recommend for this trip? Would a Badlands 4500 be overkill?

26-Sep-18
You only need a daypack at the most.

27-Oct-18

27-Oct-18

15-Dec-18

16-Dec-18
Good luck and safe travels Grant!!

16-Dec-18
If you want to go after caribou, especially in the earlier seasons I’d take a pack you can carry a head and cape or some meat on.

30-Oct-21

• Sitka Gear