otcWill 23-Feb-18
Treeline 23-Feb-18
Kodiak 23-Feb-18
Whocares 23-Feb-18
PoudreCanyon 23-Feb-18
Jaquomo 23-Feb-18
Skelly 25-Feb-18
21-Feb-18
Anybody hunt here? I got an invite for this fall to muzzle hunt elk there but the proximity to Steamboat makes me think it's probably over-run with hunters. If I went it would be strictly for a cow to fill the freezer. I've hunted closer to Walden with good results but this area is new to me so any advice is welcome.

21-Feb-18
I have friends that hunt there every year the first week and do well. The two of them usually shoot one or two hunting from tree stands. They see plenty the first few days but it thins out. The elk head for nearby private. Quite a few hunters they tell me.

21-Feb-18
Plenty of elk, plenty of hunters

21-Feb-18
I’ve hunted it before. Don’t plan on going back. There are elk there, but there are so many people!

21-Feb-18
Welcome to Colorado!!

21-Feb-18
Tons of elk until the first couple days of archery. Then mostly stragglers pushed in from elsewhere after that.

The upside is that you'll meet lots of new friends!

21-Feb-18
Go for it and report back :)

22-Feb-18
Thanks guys for the responses and backing my suspicions...you talked me out of it.

22-Feb-18
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" renowned Yankee elk hunter Yogi Berra.

22-Feb-18

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Here's the majority of the Rabbit Ears mountain elk herd the week before the archery season. They all wouldn't fit in the photo. Maybe another 70-80 out of the frame. Three or four days later they were ALL on the big private ranches WhoCares mentions.

22-Feb-18
Ive been waiting for that classic pic Lou :)

22-Feb-18
the last time i hunted rabbit ears the trialhead i went in on i counted 119 hunters walking in past me. that does not count the ones that went in before that and after. like an army marching off to war. someone put a tent right under the tree i had a stand in and i resisted the urge to set it on fire.

22-Feb-18
I have never hunted the Rabbit Ears side of the highway, but it sure does look like fantastic elk habitat. Eventually, a lot of other hunters do also and do there.

22-Feb-18
wow kentuck they say a bad day hunting beats a good day at work, but I'm just not so sure in that situation!! I think I'd be so angry I'd rather be at work!

22-Feb-18
If you are in the mood to put on a lot of miles and drop a lot of elevation, you can get into elk from Rabbit Ears. Gonna be one hell of a chug to haul one out from where you will end up to get to them, though... No access out the bottom with private land.

22-Feb-18
You can go north out to Colorado Creek - all public

22-Feb-18
Boy, times do change. I remember bugling two bulls at first light from on top of the Rabbit Ears during bow season. Nobody else was around and no vehicles at the trailhead. That was about 1982.

Didn't somebody say we are experiencing declining numbers of bow hunters?

22-Feb-18
Definitely changed, Rich. Solid camps up there nowadays. About 98% non residents

22-Feb-18
Elk bowhunters are increasing in CO. Cheap OTC tags. Its overall numbers of hunters that are declining.

What hurt that area was the DOW sending NR hunters down there when they called to ask for information. That was when the herd was peaking and they wanted elk killed. Then those guys brought back buddies, and on and on. I know of one camp of 14-16 hunters from WI that hunt the east side every year. Couple years ago some of them decided to start the season a little early and the WCOs were tipped off, came into their camp in bowhunter costumes. Tough to explain hanging quarters with a rind on them on opening day.

23-Feb-18
My opinion here is "Rabbit Ears" could be replaced with any other decent elk destination in CO and these descriptions would be accurate. I hunt a unit that has a lot higher hunter numbers than these units and I almost never see another guy in the woods. It's like they (the masses) are comforted by having more people around them. Everybody seems to go to the same "famous" trailheads. In CO, its about hunting smart, going where others don't or won't go. I hunted near RE years ago and did well. I just didn't follow the masses. I wouldn't rule it out. The smart bowhunter can definitely get into elk, just not in the obvious places. Just food for thought

23-Feb-18
Don't know about that, Will - the elk usually seem to be in the "obvious" places in OTC units... at least a mile away from the big camps and all the hunters!

Sometimes they are not in the obvious places.

Actually got on a very nice bull up off of RE two years ago right near a main road. Really surprised me! Coming back out of the hell hole in the evening and glassed up some cows across a big burn and there was a good bull with them. They were within 1/4 mile of the main road through there and vehicles were going back and forth. Just no camps and no trails in that corner and the elk had figured out a hole that no one was messing with.

23-Feb-18

"In CO, its about hunting smart, going where others don't or won't go. "

I've been bowhunting elk in CO for 25 years and that's exactly right.

23-Feb-18
Yup, Kodiak. Adds to the challenge and fun. Can't wait for next season. Had some fun honey holes spoiled for me over the years, so just search elsewhere. I'm sure those guys that discovered "my" spots are having fun too.

My guess is most of you get pressured by guys that ask you to take them along as its something they always wanted to do or to tell them where you hunt. Just last night at our Thirsty Thursday get together I ran into an old state senator friend of mine. He pushed me to take his 33 year old son along, as he's always dreamed of going. Tried putting me on a friendly guilt trip saying I can't just think of myself! We both chuckled. Told him with elk hunting that's exactly what I do! I said have him get a hold of me and I'll gladly coach him on the what and hows and how to research areas etc as we do on Bowsite, actually. The where is up to him. Sometimes I'm kind enough to narrow it down to a National Forest! But at this stage of life I'm pretty protective of my solo hunts. Nothing beats September in the mountains for me.

23-Feb-18
Hunted it years ago, and saw a lot more moose than elk. Tried to draw a moose tag there for several years with no success.

23-Feb-18
Whocares, I'm the same way. I tell people I couldn't hunt the way I hunt if I had to take someone else along. Most don't understand that concept because they don't hunt solo.

Back in the '80s when I first became a "Pro Staffer" I quickly found out that I was expected to take friends of the company principals to my public land honey holes and tutor them on elk hunting. That gig didn't last long...

25-Feb-18
Packed in on rabbit Ears about two miles two years ago and never saw another hunter, it was gorgeous although only heard a few squeals/bugles early and nothing would answer. Had one small bull come into about 80 yards but held up. There was a wood cutter in there all summer so think elk moved some as didn't see the normal amount of tracks and only had 2 elk and one moose on the trail cam in a month's time. Usually get more bugle activity the last weekend of the season. did get a 7x7 up there about 5 years ago.

• Sitka Gear