wytex 24-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 24-Feb-18
Mossyhorn 24-Feb-18
Topgun 30-06 24-Feb-18
COLOelkman 24-Feb-18
Stryker 25-Feb-18
Peter Denzin 26-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
They are up and I unfortunately will not be in WY this year!

22-Feb-18
I'm in for a cow!

22-Feb-18
$h1t! Unsuccessful. Special general with 1 point

22-Feb-18
I miss it already. I didn't (or won't) put in for a single tag this year. Just points for everything across the states. I miss the anticipation of waiting and waiting for draw results

22-Feb-18
Drew tag in the bighorns....

22-Feb-18
Wyoming here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! General unit.

22-Feb-18
Denied :(

Hopefully Pronghorn next try

22-Feb-18
WTF!!!??? I didn't draw a Type-9 tag with 9 points. Super pissed because I didn't buy an Idaho tag assuming I would get this.

22-Feb-18
Woohoo! Drew a mid-tier type 1 tag with zero points!

22-Feb-18
No go for me.

22-Feb-18
Man the special gen most not be affected by the tag price.

22-Feb-18
WOW, I just checked the odds for the unit I put in for. Point creep went up TWO points! Stunned. No wonder I didn't draw. This is stupid.

22-Feb-18
Looks like my buddy and I are headed to area 7 for a private land hunt in September!

22-Feb-18
im in for a gen tag

just have to figure out what to do next now lol

22-Feb-18
My group didn’t draw a general tag, regular draw with 2 points.

Last year, 2 points was guaranteed, and I suspect next year 2 points will be guaranteed

22-Feb-18
Trial153, how many points did it take for what unit? A friend who thought he was getting a 35 or 40 tag did not draw. Thinking we had creep, again.

22-Feb-18
PSU, mine was 2.5

22-Feb-18
The unit I applied for had TRIPLE the amount of cow tag applicants over last year

Right there shows the price increase effect

22-Feb-18
My brother in law and I drew cow tags!

22-Feb-18
My kids did not draw for General with 2 points. I drew a general with no points in the special - crazy! Our back up plan was to all draw Co and go to gather. Now we have some new planning to do. But I am going elk hunting in Wyoming.

22-Feb-18
My son drew a random tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22-Feb-18
PSUArcher, keep dreaming. The days of drawing a general with 2 points are long gone. You'll get it next year but, after that, you'll be lucky to get your next general tag with 5 or 6 points.

22-Feb-18
Got my General tag!

22-Feb-18
General tag reg draw - 58% with 2 points

22-Feb-18
Wyoming bound! Apparently, you have to "pay to play"...

Best of Luck, Jeff

22-Feb-18
Oh my gosh, I drew area 22!

22-Feb-18
Special random draw GEN GENERAL Tags available 397 First choice apps 1353 I was one of the 397. Wow -

22-Feb-18
Kick in the sack here! Congrats to the lucky hunters, get it done!

22-Feb-18
No draw. Thank you Eastman's MRS for listing a mid tier unit as a blue chip now. The unit jumped 2 points this year.

I thought all the non-residents were dropping out of Wyoming now with the price increase :)

22-Feb-18
I will be there for a cow.

22-Feb-18
Drew my Type 1 proposed to change to no archery stamp. Hard to get excited.

22-Feb-18
Shut out on at least one cow tag for the first time in 8 years

22-Feb-18
drew with 4 points in the special draw. figured i needed 7 maybe 8 for the regular draw. figured pay now or pay later in points.

22-Feb-18
I drew my tag with 7 pts!

22-Feb-18
Midwest, I will see you in the woods, congrats.

No point creep in the unit I drew.

22-Feb-18
Mule looks like you were in the 3% pool with no tag. That was some major creep for the General tag.

22-Feb-18
I’m in as well, same boat as KB.

22-Feb-18
OK, who's going to admit blowing 9 points for a cow tag in units 31 or 45?

22-Feb-18
No random luck. Can't win if you don't play. Congrats to those who got lucky

22-Feb-18
Regarding non-resident special elk draw. Can someone explain to me how the odds report works? On unit 7, <9 there were 17 quota, 19 tags given and 19 applicants. They divided the 17/19 to get 89.47%. Unit 34 is the same way.

How does that even make sense. Is it group applications?

22-Feb-18
Wow, MP...can't believe you didn't draw with the odds you had!

22-Feb-18
Andrew, WY rounds group apps to 4 decimal places but formats their report to include several point groups for clarity and report size. They also fill a group of up to 6 if one license is remaining.

22-Feb-18
Wow ..no luck and it took 3 more points than last year to draw the unit i put in for...talk about point creep!!...also same amount of points drew the special vs regular so looks like the extra money having zero effect.

22-Feb-18
Bob - Do they only count group leaders in the numbers? Does that mean 2 people missed out for unit 7 with < 9 points?

I went in with an average 8.5 so I guess I am one of those two people\group leaders if so.

22-Feb-18
Well... I figured out how to draw a Wyoming type 9 tag. With 0 points. Just apply with the “backup fund” credit card you have for emergencies without telling your wife about it and hope you don’t draw. Sheesh! ;-)

22-Feb-18
"Bob - Do they only count group leaders in the numbers?"

no, every 1st choice app shows up in the applicant column.

22-Feb-18
BAMMMMM!!!

I am very happy to hit my 12th year out of the last 13 for my Gen Tag!!

(And my Reduced Price cow/calf too)

Good luck, Robb

22-Feb-18
Bob - 19 first choice applicants, 19 tags given but 2 people didn't get a tag. 2 people didn't get a tag, something still doesn't add up for me.

22-Feb-18
you gotta believe

22-Feb-18
19 people got tags, I suspect your point avg is not 8.5. pm me and I'll give you a contact.

22-Feb-18
Robb, UNREAL!!!

22-Feb-18
I am still shell shocked we drew a random tag in the special draw with zero points for a 7 point unit.

22-Feb-18
Dang, my unit took one more point than last year, I drew a refund. That just sucks. So much for a price increase dropping demand.

22-Feb-18
Curious if the increase of applicants is people bailing out or it’s just that much more popular?

22-Feb-18
We drew General regular with 2.3333 points each.

I'm guessing the increase in applicants is due to all the press WY gets from Eastmans, Bowsite, Land of the Free, etc., etc.

22-Feb-18
Quite a few 3-8 point apps in the reg draw for a Gen tag. That seems like dumping to me .

22-Feb-18
Land of the free!!! Glad they had a shitty Montana Hunt. Good luck to all with tags this year. Hunt!

22-Feb-18
I drew area 7 in regular draw with 10 points.

I also got half price cow tag.

I hope I end up with lotsa meat lol

22-Feb-18
Found out we only had 8 points. Bob you were right.

Congratulations to all that drew. Fill the freezers up.

22-Feb-18
Bob... gotta believe? I can’t freakin believe I didn’t draw with a 97% chance. I’m ready to hang myself! Now what? Haul road caribou or a leftover cow tag? Hmmm :-P

22-Feb-18
2018 License Draw Results License Type Results Area/Type Non-Resident Elk with Preference Point Option Unsuccessful

22-Feb-18
The point creep is the bailing effect. Max and near-max elk point guys are jumping in to actually apply in 2018 rather than buy a point. The harsh reality is most blue chip units are under 10% draw rates for max point holders. So, will see the cascading effect as awareness builds it want out of the WY point game you might need to drop down below blue chip units. That accelerates creep in mid and lower tier as everyone has to adjust strategy if want to actually draw a tag in a given year.

Once a Max or near max burns points then some are not getting back in line to build elk points. As burn elk, deer and pronghorn then some are leaving. But, hard to burn points for three species in one year so this shaking-out process will take 3-5 years.

If economy worsens then even fewer successful applicants will get back in line. Point creep pressure will lessen as long as available tags for non-residents are not. Hey, all F&G has to do is bump application and point fees up $25 or so and then can cut out half the non-resident quota and not lose any money once the dust settles. I expect non-resident sheep, moose, goat, bison, elk and deer to get cut in half sooner than later.

22-Feb-18
Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! guess it'll be OTC CO this year. First time haven't drawn Gen with 2 points.

Trial153, agree - must be lots of bailing to push the bottom tier up????

22-Feb-18
Yahoo, hunting the big stinkies in the Cowboy State with Twinetickler

22-Feb-18
Sorry Joe. Sucks to be a 3% er.

No random tag for me. Congrats to all of those who drew. You are hunting my favorite elk state.

22-Feb-18
In for general

22-Feb-18
Colorado OTC units just got more crowded than they already are.

22-Feb-18
Nope.....

22-Feb-18
I really think you will see the point creep for the general tag go back down next year. I would imagine that a lot of guys with 3-5 points said screw, I’m not going to give wyo any more points and applied for general tags. Which spiked the points this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the point requirement for a general tag go back to below 2 next year. (Naturally I’m not willing to gamble and will be buying a 3rd point this summer)

22-Feb-18
As someone with 7 points and wanting a tag in 2-3 years I'm hoping the creep is people bailing

22-Feb-18
Gen Special was 97% with 1 point. Bet next year there will be more putting in for the special. Especially if they only have 2 points and want to go.

22-Feb-18
This could all change too with whatever F&G decides to do with tags next year. Whether it’s nothing, or increase the tag cap, go to a zone structure, etc???

22-Feb-18
Turned out to be a sweet day!! Spent 9 points and drew my WY tag finially and found out that my subalpine RX1 and my new VAPs arrived...

22-Feb-18
A friend of mine decided to dump his WY points (7) this year and go general. He may have bailed to quick.

22-Feb-18
How many points does it take for a good hunt in Wyoming?

22-Feb-18
In with GEN. May we all strive to have the luck Robb has.

22-Feb-18
Chasing... apparently at least 2 now! 3 if you don’t want to dump $1300.

22-Feb-18
No tags for my daughter and I. Maybe next year...

22-Feb-18
Man sounds like a tough tough deal!! That point creep is kicking people in the butt!!! I am glad we don't have that in our state the hunt I've been lucky enough to draw the last 5 years would probably take 10 to draw it once with a point system . Although I do wish we'd offer better opportunity for NR.

22-Feb-18
I was pretty sure I'd draw, but nope. Oh well, there are a ton of hunts out there.

23-Feb-18
Thanks W-Bob.....I Do Believe! haha

Found out my guy Chris from Wisc (I thought he was from Minn--Oops) and his GF from Virgina drew Gen too with 1.5 average.

He is another fellow that came out with No tag and just wanted the experience in my Wyo Bow Elk Camp ( he is the 3rd guy, over the years, that has come out with No tag and finally did draw) and bought a Point that first fall and then didn't draw last year but did this year.

I am happy for all tag or no tag------------>

Good luck, Robb

23-Feb-18
Looking at the draw odd sheet I did see where a guy went General Special with 9 points?! Might need a financial manager or maybe he was worried about extreme creep.

23-Feb-18
Many who got in at the beginning have drawn our deer and elk hunts in the past (me). Now we are looking for a lower tier.

However many just put in with no real plan. Myself in CO is a great example. 18 deer and elk points in CO. I just had too many other options for what I could do and never went. Now I want an early rifle deer just to do it and may have aged out. We'll see.

23-Feb-18
From: Mossyhorn 22-Feb-18 This could all change too with whatever F&G decides to do with tags next year. Whether it’s nothing, or increase the tag cap, go to a zone structure, etc???

Remember you read this right here! There will be no real changes to the bull elk tag structure or anything else involving elk, other than possibly going to a later draw to comply with their own Regs. that they aren't following right now when they have the NR elk draw several months before the Final Regs. are approved and published by the Commission. The strikeout in the tentative Regs. that it appears will be approved in late April by the Commission and effective for 2018 will eliminate Type 1 tag holders from buying an archery permit for units 41 and 45 well after the draw has already been held may bring this to a head unless they make it effective for 2019 and beyond, rather than for 2018 after guys have drawn their tags. I would bet there are a ton of comments going in to the G&F as guys find out about that tentative restriction that will eliminate their plans to hunt in September with a bow.

23-Feb-18
I assume the guys who blew 9 points on cow tags made an error on their app? Especially considering the Unit 45 cow tag took less than 1 point to draw.

23-Feb-18
I drew my 3rd bull tag in WY rifle but I will hunt archery

23-Feb-18
I drew my 3rd bull tag in WY rifle but I will hunt archery

23-Feb-18
Top gun, I thought the commission decided to get public comment on the matter before moving any further. Not sure what you mean by, you read this right here??? Maybe nothing will happen by 2019, but last I heard they’re at least talking about some changes?

23-Feb-18

23-Feb-18
From: Mossyhorn 23-Feb-18 Top gun, I thought the commission decided to get public comment on the matter before moving any further. Not sure what you mean by, you read this right here??? Maybe nothing will happen by 2019, but last I heard they’re at least talking about some changes?

***The comment period for anything pertaining to the tentative Regulations is open right now and all you have to do is go to the Regulation section and click on the tentative 2018 one for each species and then click on the comment section to let them know what you like or dislike about the contemplated changes. The comment I made earlier that you referenced was me just being a smarty pants that I'm pretty sure that nothing will change next year other than maybe the draw being done when deer and antelope tags are drawn in June. If that strikeout of unit 41 and 45 goes through in April well after guys got a Type 1 tag thinking they would use it for archery the last half of September and they can't my guess is that holy haydes is going to be raised that might finally change the draw date to what it should be so it meets the Commission rules that they are now violating.

23-Feb-18
Way to go Don!

24-Feb-18
I understand the reasoning but I would sure hate to see the Wyo elk draw date moved out. Really helps with hunt planning and application strategy.

24-Feb-18
We have pushed for years at the season setting meetings to have cross over seasons eliminated that allowed type 1 and type 4 to hunt archery seasons in Wyoming. They have finally listened and the outcome will be very noticeable if you draw an elk tag in one of these areas. Less pressure always means a more enjoyable hunt.

24-Feb-18
intresting stat

There were 145 GEN tags issued in the Pref Point draw to applicants that used between 4 - 12 PPs.

24-Feb-18
^^^^ that stat looks familiar :)

24-Feb-18
Trial153 --- is that about the norm?

24-Feb-18
Stryker, sounds like you're pushing choose your weapon in Wyoming, don't think it will fly for all areas. Hopefully we get to keep our archery and rifle seasons. A few Type 9 tags are ok but we don't want choose your weapon as residents. Those new Type 9 tags come out of the quota for NR so it will decrease the number of rifle tags.

24-Feb-18
As wytex just mentioned, it's not likely that there will be many more units where they take away the Type 1 and 4 tags from hunting archery in the early season. The last survey on this "choose your weapon" question a few years ago found that 75% of the resident and NR hunters do not want a choose your weapon system in Wyoming. That is a very high percentage and the reason they want to strike the option from 41 and 45 is because of the huge influx of rifle hunters doing that the last half of September. I haven't been in 41 in September, but I helped guys on their 45-9 tags in 2014 and 2015 and the influx of people on the 14th through the end of the month was almost like a zoo. The elimination of those people will allow the 41-9 and 45-9 guys to have a good quality hunt the entire month and IMHO with the number of PPs it takes to draw those tags, especially in 45, they deserve a better quality hunt as the rut really kicks in.

24-Feb-18
So that sounds like about the same thing as 67-9? Not sure why you’d want to draw a type 9 tag like that when It opens up to everyone with a general tag the last two weeks? Unless you prefer to hunt the beginning of the season.

24-Feb-18
From: Mossyhorn 24-Feb-18 So that sounds like about the same thing as 67-9? Not sure why you’d want to draw a type 9 tag like that when It opens up to everyone with a general tag the last two weeks? Unless you prefer to hunt the beginning of the season.

***My guess is that being able to hunt the first two weeks of September is probably the best time to shoot a big bull because they will come to a call a lot better most of the time early like that and after they start getting their cows together for the main rut toward the middle of the month it's a lot harder, but the smaller satellite bulls will probably come in any time. Where we hunt if my resident buddy draws his bull tag in our LQ unit that doesn't offer a Type 9 tag he buys the cheap resident archery permit and we hunt the entire month of September with it and then a good part of October with his rifle if he doesn't tag out with his bow. In the last 20 years since I've hunted out there I can't remember him ever not killing a bull with one or the other weapon when he gets a tag and it's about a 50% chance for him to draw each year.

24-Feb-18
Topgun - I had a type 9 in 45 in 2015 and expected a flood of Type 1 hunters on the 15th. But for where I was hunting, it never happened and I was really surprised. A buddy drew a type 1 this year and was planning to get the bow tag so we'll be waiting to see what happens there. Thanks for posting on this as we'll go in and comment on that issue. I think its a great option to have and hope they keep it but we'll wait and see.

25-Feb-18
wytex I’m also against choose your weapon seasons. There has been no talk of raising the quota of type 9 tags in either area so not sure where you are getting your information. I love to hunt whitetails during the rut with my bow and order for me to do that I hunt during the rifle season. This has been a heated topic for many years at season setting meetings and in my opinion this a long overdue decision.

26-Feb-18
Failed to draw a general for myself. However, my eldest son drew Unit 30 with his max points so I will be taking him on his first elk hunt! Now the research begins.

• Sitka Gear