APauls 27-Feb-18
bigeasygator 27-Feb-18
South Farm 27-Feb-18
AZ Toad 27-Feb-18
ChasingFAHL 27-Feb-18
MedwayHunter 06-Mar-18
MeanMachine 09-Apr-18
24-Feb-18
Has anyone hunted with either outfit? Im very serious about a moose hunt and trying to get everything squared away so that I can accomplish that dream in the next few years. Any information is greatly appreciated!

24-Feb-18
I haven't heard anything bad about either outfit. I hunted Newfoundland a few years ago but used a different outfit. There are several good ones up there. As long as you are up front and realistic with your expectations, any of the reputable places would work fine(those two included).

24-Feb-18
Which outfitted did you hunt with? Were you successful? What did you wish you knew/brought that you didn't? What was required equipment for the hunt?

24-Feb-18
I hunted Newfoundland this year and I really really wished I’d had my spotting scope with me . For reasons I don’t go into I was advised that I wouldn’t need it but that was certainly a mistake . If I ever go back I’ll have a pair of 10x binos and my spotter . At the barest of minimums I’d take 15x binos if no spotter is available .

24-Feb-18
Have hunted NL w/buddy 7 of the last 8 years. Previous years were good hunts. Switched to Conne River for this past fall and 3 of us drove to the drive-in hunt. Everything was absolutely excellent! Have re-booked w/them for 2019. If you bow hunt, they have a fly-in only camp.

24-Feb-18
Conne River is a great camp. Make sure when you book you have guarantee licence as the outfitter lottery may not happen next year with all the tag cuts coming to NF. As well go sooner than later, prices are going to increase over the next couple of years as demand increases for less tags isssued. Good Luck.

24-Feb-18
Thanks to all who have responded this far! Im getting plenty of information that Ive not been able to dig up elsewhere!

24-Feb-18
I've hunted with Conne River twice...2015 and 2016. I hunted out of their Dolland Pond camp. Fly-in, bow only. Their other camps are gun or bow. I hunted the third week of September both times because I'm bowhunting for elk in CO the end of August into September every year. I was fortunate to get a bull both years but that was mainly because my guide and I hunted hard...not because the moose were thick. In an average day we might see a couple bulls but sometimes they were too far off to do anything with...like a mile away and across large lakes/ponds. Not mentioning names but I had what I consider the best guide both years...all aren't necessarily as good as him. Both years there were only two of us at Dolland...me and my buddy. He got nothing both years but in the course of the week had at least one decent opportunity, so you can't really complain about that. The food is average, but good...not gourmet. Accommodations are satisfactory in a cabin which can sleep six, but that could be a bit crowded with gear and such. I may go back again sometime.

24-Feb-18
I have hunted Portland Creek Outfitters, very good outfitter, they have there own float planes. Leonard and his crew will do everything they can to get you a moose.

24-Feb-18
Older guy x2

24-Feb-18
Thanks everyone!

26-Feb-18
I've hunted NWFLD one time a few years back. Hunting was very slow and I didn't get any opportunities. The camp I was in with a bow/gun camp and they had 4 hunters in there every week. The story was that the guys before us all tagged out, and the guys after us did as well. I'm not sure if they did or not, but I can say that I was disappointed in the number of animals I saw.

I really enjoyed being on the island though, and I'm booked with Conne River for their Dollands Pond camp in 2019. I like the idea of bow only, and I haven't found anyone that's been there that wasn't happy with it yet. I personally am not too concerned if I kill one or not, I just want to be out there hunting them and actually get to put a few stalks on. Being around animals that big is pretty special for a guy that lives where a 300 lb whitetail is as big as wildlife gets.

27-Feb-18
hunted 2 years ago fly-in bow only camp with a boddy, conne river i hunted for caribou only and killed a monster with a very good guide (didn't remember his name) after 2 other good opportunities. saw caribou every day. Perfect hunt for me but... my friend hunted for primary moose and caribou only for an option: no shooting opportunity with a "not fantastic" guide. he saw very few moose (rut time hunt) camp and meal were very good but number of moose we saw (the most important of course) very low. so average outfitter, not the best i hunted with (more than 50 hunts arround the world for me), would not recommend it for moose. ok for caribou. hunted with mutch better moose outfitters in the yukon...not at the same price of course!!

27-Feb-18
Look at the Ironbark Outfitters thread. Guy who owns that is a great friend of mine his name and handle is Tyler. He has guided for Effords a number of years. Shoot him a PM and you'll get great info on Effords I'm sure. From what I understand it was a good place.

27-Feb-18
Hunted with Connes River in their Dolland Pond camp in 2016. As it relates to taking and seeing an animal, I think (not surprisingly) A LOT depends on the weather. It was very warm when I went, and I never saw a bull that had paddles (ie, the biggest I saw as a forkhorn). Went a number of days without seeing any moose. The guide I had wasn't very adept at shifting strategies to deal with the weather, IMO (sounds like I had a similar experience to frenchbowhunter's friend). My experience was that my guide wasn't too savvy with bowhunting, but they do operate in an area with lots of moose and can get away with things, and I think some of the guides are definitely better. There are no doubt there's a lot of moose there, despite the lack of sightings I had. And it is definitely a magical place. Definitely not a slam dunk though.

27-Feb-18
Weather is EVERYTHING on a moose hunt. There could be 20 bulls per square mile, but if it warm you'll never see 'em! More than any other animal I think weather plays the biggest role in a moose hunt.

27-Feb-18
I bow hunted with Bob Efford's outfit in 2018-- he had my deposit in for a couple of years. I told him I was interested in having a Bull called in and did not really care about the size. He suggested a date he thought was good for me. It was to be in the middle of Sept. When I arrived I was the only bow hunter in camp. I had a great guide who tried his best but said it was to early.I think Bob Efford stuck me in a slot that was open and the return clients got the best time slots. No Bulls killed out of our camp.

27-Feb-18
Thanks everyone!

06-Mar-18
I will be heading up in Sept to hunt with Conne. I have heard good things from people I have spoke with. We are doing rifle and doing the fly-in lodge. Anyone have an insights into this outfitter? This is my second trip to Newfoundland but first was a drive-in with a different outfitter and was not a great experience. Thanks in advance!

09-Apr-18
I had a similar first experience as you did Medway. My hunt was in 2002. My guide was awesome but the type of animal I wanted wasn't there and I saw 60 moose! My hunt was a road and walk in area near Roddicton. Any recommendations for an outfitter that can do a fly out bow only area for moose? I think the areas that you fly into would be better but there are lots of lodges up there to choose from. I think the spotting scope is a great idea because you save lots of time.

• Sitka Gear