midwest 07-Jan-19
ELKMAN 28-Jul-19
Pyrannah 28-Jul-19
lewis 28-Jul-19
Lost Arra 28-Jul-19
ELKMAN 29-Jul-19
Bob H in NH 29-Jul-19
25-Feb-18
I get my partial knee replacement done Wednesday. I will post as soon as it's done and let everyone know how it went. Maybe some gruesome pics. Not sure what to expect, but I have 6 months to recover for September. Wish me luck! (JK about the live part of course)

25-Feb-18
Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery!

I'm doomed... both my parents had both knees replaced... and I just had my 3rd minor knee surgery 5 weeks ago. I asked doc on my follow up visit, if I can just get 2 new knees now and get it over with? He said I'm too young and hafta wait :-(

25-Feb-18
Prayers and Good Luck on your surgery/ recovery.

25-Feb-18
I’ll be there with ya in ten yrs or so

Good luck man I’ll be following !

25-Feb-18
Hang in there ElkMan!!

No doubt it will just fine and better

Good luck, Robb

PS--Rather see pix of the Nurses than your bloody knee!! haha

25-Feb-18
Can I ask why just a partial replacement?? Always been told it is quicker recovery and actually knee comes out better if you get a full replacement. Shawn

25-Feb-18
Good luck elkman. I’m in the same boat as you fuzz. 5 surgeries between both knees. Look forward to hearing results from an outdoorsman.

25-Feb-18
Good luck!

25-Feb-18
I just had both knees replaced on Nov 29 so I'm just short of 3 months. Getting around well. Not 100% but the doc says that will take quite a while. Do your therapy! I'm glad I did both at the same time.

25-Feb-18
Good luck!

25-Feb-18
Advantages and disadvantages to partials. If the degeneration is isolated to medial compartment then a guy may be a candidate. The biggest advantage is that u can go on to full replacement later when wornout. U can get revisions with total replacements too but they tend not to do so well.

25-Feb-18
Hoping it all goes well for you.

You’ll be up and shooting your Mathews in no time! (They say laughter IS the best medicine) ;-)

25-Feb-18
At 69 had an MRI on right knee. Said I'd gone thru the outer layer. Not sure what the time table on it is, but I walked 4 miles yesterday and didn't notice it.

If you want a good replacement, be sure your muscles are strong. Improves healing rate and eventual outcome. Friend had his done at 80, worked out before, did all the therapy, and will be hunting the Misery Breaks again this fall.

25-Feb-18

The last savage's embedded Photo
The last savage's embedded Photo
68 days ago I had full knee replacement,,I'm at 90 % fully recovered,,still gaining strength in a leg that I never realized was weak,,due to favoring it for years,,I left the hospital after 1 day,completed physical therapy in 40 days,,,was released by my absolutely fantastic surgeon at 43 days,,I worked out twice a day ,the whole time. Two days after being home I hiked a half a mile..at 11 am today my wife and I are going on a 4 mile hike,,2 miles up...pretty steep grade,,,work hard brother on making that quad strong,,,,I do every day,,the very last word my surgeon said as he walked out ...".I expect some elk steak...",,,,.good luck ELKMAN!!!!

25-Feb-18
I had left TKR 3 years ago. I played golf at 9 weeks, albeit rather gingerly. It takes about a year for 100% recovery, which I noticed 8 months later bowhunting...had to tread carefully...watch stability.

While I wouldn't want to go through it again, it was worth it. Life's good and pain free again. Do ALL the rehab, the more you sweat in the first month, the better the long term results.

25-Feb-18
Nice work fellas! U guys seem young for knee replacement? Going to follow this thread carefully as one of my knees is wearing out and sore !!!

25-Feb-18
Oh and if any of you guys need a hotshot knee man,,,pm me,,my guy one of the best in the east!! Yeah 52 is not old ,,bad motorcycle wreck at 15,,I actually demolished a nova,,,,,caused mine to deteriorate...

25-Feb-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here’s one of my knees. 9 surgeries in 3 years. 2 staph infections. Everything that could go wrong did. Dislocations, septicemia(almost died ), tore patialar tendon, revision to replace original prosthetic and almost lost my leg.

25-Feb-18
Good luck Casey! Looking forward to this thread.

Hint - some of my best stuff on my live hip replacement thread came to me when I was still loopy from the anaesthesia.. ;-)

25-Feb-18
Mom had her knee replacement at 93, may be looking at having the other one done once she is 95. Yep puts a lot of spring back in ones step.

Good luck

25-Feb-18
Damn DL you've been through the wringer.....

25-Feb-18
Maybe they can put some Redwrx in there. ;^D. Good luck!

25-Feb-18
I've watched them on TV, pretty cool with the saws-all and hammer action.

25-Feb-18
Hope it all turns out perfect and you are back chasing bulls and Roosters before you know it. Hunt

25-Feb-18
I am 59 and had partial knee replacement done on both knees 3 yrs ago. The secret to partials is getting them done early on before too much degeneration has taken place and by a doc that knows how to do put them in correctly. I have been elk hunting every year since. Before surgery I could hardly walk to the mailbox and back. Mine are the Oxford Knee, developed in Oxford England. My Doctor went there to learn how to install them and Has done 1000's of them. He said I should get 15 to 20 years out of these partials. A website that really helped me through the recovery is called https://bonesmart.org/. I highly recommend using the website. If you have any more questions please ask.

25-Feb-18
Good Luck Elkman, had both of mine replace in 2007.

25-Feb-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Two months after a surgery I slipped outside and bent my knee so far it split open the scar.
DL's embedded Photo
Two months after a surgery I slipped outside and bent my knee so far it split open the scar.
Three dislocations. One was when I was hitting out a deer in Oregon. Yelled for my brother to grab my leg and pull as hard as he could. Popped right in and finished hitting my deer.

25-Feb-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Two times I woke up too soon after surgery. They hadn’t given me morphine yet. Wow!! I was shaking like crazy from the pain and could hardly talk. Nurse gave me an injection and didn’t help. Surgeon came in and looked at me and started yelling to get morphine in my. A nurse responded that she already had. He said obviously it wasn’t enough. Get more in him Now!!! I thought they were going to have to tear the revision out after last infection. I had a great surgeon that would not hide a thing from me if I asked. I like not having surprises. I let him know before the last surgery that if the infection is too bad he could remove the leg.

25-Feb-18
I had a total replacement in March/2014. After 2 prior meniscus tear surgeries he said the next one is a replacement, no cartilage left. Best thing I ever did. Good luck with the recovery. The PT is rough at first but you will be happy in the end. BTW, that white stocking they have you wear, you need to wear it for as long as they say. You don't want blood clots in your leg. My doc told me about a guy who didn't wear it because it made him look like a sissy. Well, he is no longer on this earth.

25-Feb-18
I had a vasectomy the other day, should I post recovery pics of that?

On another note, my dad had his knee done December 2016, and he has been absolutely loving life since it was done-skiing, biking, running around with his granddaughters, hunting, the works! Do your PT, follow your Dr.'s instructions to the letter...

25-Feb-18
Been going on no cartilage in the left knee since 1997. I've had three acl graphs. Two in the left and one in the right. I had a grade IV PCL tear repaired the first ACL surgery on my left knee. That hurt going in as it tore some bone lose when it broke. One meniscus repair in the right knee. I have some knee pain about everyday. Especially when cruising timber. Doc told me 20 years ago I'd need a replacement on my left knee by the time I was 40. Well, I'm past that and, while it hurts, I'm blessed. Rehab, Rehab, Rehab. That's the only advice I'll give you. Listen to your body but, power through the pain. The stronger your legs are the less stress you will have on your knees. Don't forget those hamstrings either. Good luck and God Bless

25-Feb-18
Surf bow years ago I had a reversal. I remember looking down and seeing these with one of my nuts in his hand. That picture stays in your brain forever.

25-Feb-18
I wouldn’t if I were you, surfbow!

Lou will just post his X-ray pics on here again and “junk” shame everybody again ;-(

25-Feb-18
I remember that, HaHaHa.

26-Feb-18
GL

26-Feb-18
Best of luck with the procedure. May your recovery be quick and full.

26-Feb-18

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
Had left side TKR on 2/12/18. Today is my first day of out patient PT.

This is my knee before operation Xray. Staples are from 1985 ligament damage.

26-Feb-18
I am almost 37 and had my partial knee done last may. Bone on bone is gone however I have a great deal of pain still I believe to be nerve pain. Upon getting up from sitting, bed, driving etc I have very sharp pain that seems to go away after a few steps...Idk if it will ever go away or may just take some time. Worked hard through PT, it was rough but necessary. Still need to build up leg muscle. I lost a ton. I've had 9 surgeries on this knee so that put me behind already. I don't regret it as I had a horrible limp that was effecting my hip/back so it was time. I can't say I feel amazing as some do post replacement though. Best of luck to you! Everyone has different results!

26-Feb-18
Good point t-roy, I'll just go ahead and defer to Jaquomo before it becomes a competition...

26-Feb-18
Quick recovery, Casey!

I'm super thankful for good knees and joints....nock on wood.

26-Feb-18
I had a partial knee replacement on my left knee May 17, 2016. Three months and three weeks later I killed a 6pt bull elk and packed it out. September 2017 my knee began hurting while elk hunting. I came home and went to see my doctor, they did a bone scan on it and found out the implant had come loose. Oct. 31, 2017 I had the partial removed and a total replacement done. Been a much tougher recovery, but hopefully this will last me forever. Good luck!

27-Feb-18
I assisted with a couple dozen of these in school, it's a rough surgery. Lots of sawing, hammering and gluing. Now, you even wear a hood with a fan to keep bone dust out as you saw, those things get hot! Bone dust all over my face shield. As bad as it looks, it's nothing compared to a hip.

I have my own knee to take care of in the next few years, not looking forward to it after knowing what happens once you go to sleep...

27-Feb-18
If my 79 year old sister who have both hip replacements REPLACED, YEA, REPLACED again, and then just had her knee done, I know you can do it and still keep a smile on your face as she did. Best of Luck. Paul

27-Feb-18
Crazy they can do all that with a hip, and I was up walking without a walker that evening, riding a bike a few days later. Medical technology is amazing.

27-Feb-18
Well.... if a person's junk shows up on their knee x-rays I'd have to bet you have Lou beat....... =D

Good luck. Work hard and get well soon.

I have to go puke now......

27-Feb-18
Before I had my first TKR 13 years ago my leg was in great physical condition. That aided greatly in recovery. With my knee that I had so many issues I found out something that I don’t know for sure applies but I believe it does. With surgeries averaging every 4 months there wasn’t long to recover but the day after surgery the physical therapist would take up and down the halls walking. I would just pickup the walker and take off walking. I believe that part of the recovery is training your brain to walk without some of the nerve signals. In the 80s whenknee surgeries started the Dr said that he would release me when I could lift my leg up and touch his hand with my toe. When I would try I would tighten the muscles and try and lift my extended leg. It would start to lift and then the pain would short circuit the process. Then one day a nurse gave me a shot of Demerol for pain. I discovered I could lift my extended leg. Next day before the dr got there I got a shot of Demerol. I got my release. It seems that After the first of the 9 surgeries the nerve signals got connected and I could walk the same day I had surgery.

27-Feb-18
Good luck man!

28-Feb-18
Good luck Elkman.

Some of you guys give great pep talks. Just what a guy wants to hear before surgery.

28-Feb-18

Stalker's embedded Photo
Stalker's embedded Photo
been 5 years, best thing I ever did. I can go out all day now where I used to have to take many breaks. work on range of motion then strength. and never miss leg day in the gym. Dr said you get out of it what you put into it. good Luck!

03-Mar-18
Well I'm home and it's done. All went well according to the Doc. I will load some photos and post em up as soon as I am awake enough. Got home at 2:30 am this morning. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. I WILL be back better than ever!

03-Mar-18
Good to hear!

03-Mar-18
Glad to hear it went well! Get some rest and hope all goes well moving forward!

03-Mar-18
Good news man!!

Now the hard part eh?

03-Mar-18
Heal fast. September is right around the corner!

03-Mar-18
Good news Casey!

05-Mar-18
Glad to hear it went well!

Prayers your way for a quick and complete recovery!

07-Mar-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Well that's him straight off the table. It is more bruised now, but PT seems to be going my way according the people that know these things...

07-Mar-18
Heal up soon!

08-Mar-18
Trying!

09-Mar-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
More recent photo

09-Mar-18
That's pretty cool that you got BB to sign your leg. It's prob worth more now! Good luck on recovery! If I was an elk I'd be watching this thread closely.

09-Mar-18
Ouch! Good luck to you, hope you feel like 20 again!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Mar-18
LOL! That is Dr. Blackwood's signature. That guy seems to be a genius in this particular field. The people that work with him are all in awe of him and his results. I just found out a guy I know here in Helena had him do both his knees last year and he was running cross fit events 10 weeks after surgery, doing 30" box jumps. So I think the Elk may be in trouble again after all... (I hope)

10-Mar-18
Dang ELKMAN your leg looks big and strong! I'm surprised you needed a replacement. Is this needed because of past injuries?

10-Mar-18
Had bad knees my entire life. Many surgeries, limping, feet pointed out, pain all the time. I'm 55 had my left knee I first hurt logging at 14. No regret 3 months out going great. 6 weeks out I was catching my softball teams pitchers. Good Luck. Do therapy as told, no more no less. Elkman good start on the man-scaping isn't it! ;-)

11-Mar-18
Great to hear everything went well Casey! Look out elk!!!

Mark

11-Mar-18
12yards: Yes I had a catastrophic sports injury young where I broke the femur and dislocated the knee. Lucky it grew again, only 50/50 odds. But it did and I continued to ride a lot of half pipe events in the UT. winter games and others, and of course all the training that goes with it, and here we are. Not to mention the thousands of miles in the back country over the years. I've been bone on bone for about the last ten years or so and just gutting through each September and Fall. Finally this year the arthritis was so bad that I was struggling really bad on back to back 10 mile days, and I knew that it was now, or I was done being me.

11-Mar-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Be sure to follow doctors orders.

11-Mar-18
Best of luck to you! Hope you are like new again!

11-Mar-18
Hope you heal fast buddy. September is not long away!

11-Mar-18
I've had two surgeries on my left and one on my right. Doctor says arthritis is setting in and knee replacement surgery is in my future but not yet. Would be nice if you would report back in year and even beyond to let us know how you are doing.

I wish you a fast and full recovery and an even better life.

12-Mar-18
I will keep you updated. My plans are to not hunt Elk myself this fall. May just assist on some friends hunts depending on who gets what. Going to try and shift my focus on to some other species for 18 and see how that sits with me. But I am hoping beyond hope that I will finally draw a sheep or a goat like everyone else I know has, and get that to motivate crazy results and fast track this party... ;^)

15-Mar-18
I am way ahead of schedule on my PT according the doctor and therapist. I start riding a bike today.

17-Mar-18
Swelling is down quite a bit, and I am to almost 110 degrees bend, and near totally straight. Still only getting about 50% firing on quad.

17-Mar-18
Wishing you good luck on your recovery!

>>>>-------->

17-Mar-18
Elkman, I was just checking out your post knee surgery pics again and noticed all the hair on your legs. When I woke up from my 3 knee surgeries I basically got 3 free manscapes. When they were done I looked like a hairless cat.

Happy to hear your PT is going well and you are progressing.

18-Mar-18
One day at a time will get the job done. Good luck. ????

18-Mar-18
Thanks guys. Had a scare yesterday with the pup I'm currently training. He gave the new knee a pretty good test hit just to be sure everything was setting up nicely. LOL! Apparently it's fairly solid because outside of a sharp stab of immediate pain seems to be no worse for the wear.

18-Mar-18
Nice work Elkman! Thanks for the pics and the story. Hope you heal up well!!!

18-Mar-18

18-Mar-18

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo

GregE's Link
Keep working thru your PT but don't overdo it!!

Knee replacement in May followed total lumbar fusion in Feb. CO ELK hunt in Sep. Successful with a lot of help from friends.

20-Mar-18
Awesome!

21-Mar-18
Glad it is all playing out for your recovery ELKMAN!! Black and blue for sure.

Nice Shower Bar DL--------->

#LovinLife

Robb

21-Mar-18

Sitting Bull's embedded Photo
Dad's biggest fallow buck taken in 2013 after having a knee replacement 5 months earlier.
Sitting Bull's embedded Photo
Dad's biggest fallow buck taken in 2013 after having a knee replacement 5 months earlier.
My dad has had both knees replaced in his 70's. Had them done before Christmas both times and was hunting Fallow deer in April (southern hemisphere rut). Yes it was painful doing the PT but he was motivated to hunt. Was actually more successful - guess it slowed him down to the right speed for spot and stalk hunting! Several years on now from his last one and at 80 years old he is doing great. We have a couple of fallow deer hunts lined up for April rut this year.

21-Mar-18
Very nice!

21-Mar-18
Glad it's working out for you Elkman! I had TKR on my only good leg a few years back and it saved my hunting! My calf muscles do not actually work in my right leg, so my left leg has had to do all the work for a long time and finally nothing was left in that knee.

Sounds like PT is going pretty well for you. Push through that real hard and get to where you can have that heel touch your butt! Once there, keep it there and you will be a happy camper!!!

Good Luck and happy trails!!

22-Mar-18
I would love to see that. I haven't been able to that in years with all the arthritis. PT is going up a notch or two now, I am on the sled and bike, and it is setting me back a bit in stiffness. He is saying I am pushing to hard, so I may need to back off a little bit for a while. 3 weeks out as of yesterday.

22-Mar-18
I had Oxford partial knee replacement in 2007. I have had nothing but trouble with it. Probably Dr. didn't get it quite right and should have given me full replacement as I have knee cap arthritis bad on that knee and gets a tendonitis that can take a couple months to get rid of. I have heard of others where the Oxford partial works great. I need it replaced to a full knee so wish that had been done in the first place. My other knee is a full replacement done 6 years ago and is much stronger and stable. Hope yours works out well because when it works it is much more natural and doesn't feel like a replacement .

23-Mar-18
Mine is the MAKOplasty system. And I had no arthritis in other parts of the knee. He checked and would have replaced the segments under the knee cap if it was there. Should be good to go. Fingers crossed.

23-Mar-18
Just read about that Makoplasty system. Wish I had had that done with mine. Sounds like guided cutting for better accuracy, smaller incision and better results. I bet you are ready for the mountains this fall.

24-Mar-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
I hope so...

25-Mar-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

26-Mar-18
Good for you.

Patience and persistence with your PT. Looking forward to some hunting pics later this year.

G

26-Mar-18
I would guess you will be ready for Elk hunting this fall. I had a TNR done on Dec 16 2014. I let the PT know that I planned on a 14 day canoe trip in the Quetico starting in the middle of June 2015. They pushed me hard and would joke about if it was going to be a one or two towel day. They also kept my PT going as long as my insurance would allow because of my expectations. I made the canoe trip with no problems and carried my normal pack (90 to 100 lb food pack), my buddy carries the canoe and a lighter pack. I did start using a trekking pole for stability since most of the portages in the Quetico are either rocky, muddy or both. The one thing I noticed is that later in the day I seemed to not pick my foot up as high and I almost tripped a few times and would have if it wasn't for the trekking pole. This went away after the first year.

Good luck with your recovery and enjoy the mountains this fall.

28-Mar-18
Beautiful. All good to hear. I am riding the bike like crazy now, and I am advancing quickly. I ran a little yesterday

29-Mar-18
What did you guys take for inflammation?

29-Mar-18
I took ibuprofen before my PT sessions. I also had less inflammation as the leg got stronger.

29-Mar-18
I am an Aleve guy.

29-Mar-18
Inflammation? Ice!

29-Mar-18
took Ibepoken............

30-Mar-18
I'm icing 3 times a day, but it still gets mad at me if I'm on it to much. I have been doing a cycle of Naproxen since the 3 week prescription of Celebrex ended.

30-Mar-18
Elk, I had swelling for 3 months. Ice, Ice, Ice, and ibuprofen. I am telling you, when it gets mad at you listen to it and get off it. Pain is telling us to stop, this is not no pain no gain thing. Those old beliefs were wrong. I have been coaching since 1980, learned a lot about injuries and treatments, pain means something is wrong, back off. PS last two weeks I've been up and down ladders a lot. It is doing well, but still need to elevate and ibuprofen at end of day. 4 months out.

01-Apr-18
Good info. Thanks. The therapist says the same thing. He says if I make it swell it shuts down the quad muscles all over and without that firing you are going back wards.

01-Apr-18
Keep up the good progress.

02-Apr-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

02-Apr-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Stress test on my tkr. Fail! Three strikes and your out or rather back in surgery

03-Apr-18
That yours? Ouch! How? What now?

05-Apr-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
My new "wheel" chair... LOL
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
My new "wheel" chair... LOL

05-Apr-18
I love those trucks! Congrats on the new ride!!!

07-Apr-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

07-Apr-18
Hey good for you!

PT is amazing, keep at it.

I'm facing 3-level spinal fusion in next month or so.

Hope to be back in the field in 2019....

08-Apr-18
Best of luck With your knee hope all goes good for you.

09-Apr-18
Have my 6 week check up tomorrow, and more PT today

09-Apr-18
Such a tease with that last pic. Just the tip of the skull showing eh...keep at 'er. Good luck.

11-Apr-18
Oh! Yeah that is a Barbary Sheep euro. Sorry couldn't figure out what you were referring to there for a minute... LOL!

11-Apr-18
Good to see your progress, Casey!

11-Apr-18
For any of "you guys" that had a total knee replacement (and provided everything went well): Did they give you guidelines as far as when you could fly commercial (I go to China -14 plus hours) for business several times per year ? How long before one could expect to work (desk job where I could get up and walk/do PT, etc as necessary)? Trying to do my home-work before I schedule surgery. Thanks, Dale

11-Apr-18
Dale:

I had a total knee replacement seven weeks ago. I can't help you with your flying, but have some insight with working at a desk job. I started spending a couple of hours a day at work 10 days after my surgery. I had someone drive me as it was my right knee and I was not supposed to drive. After two weeks I spent three half days in the office. My biggest problem was getting enough sleep to do my job, as I just could not get comfortable in bed. I did not have a lot of pain, just discomfort. I also iced my knee while at work for the first five weeks. Ice is great for reducing swelling.

Overall my therapy went well, and I was able to stop my work with a therapist after four weeks, although I am still doing most of the exercises twice a day on my own. It is important to do the exercises they give you on your own. Go into this with the attitude that you are going to do what it takes to make the knee as good as possible and you will do alright. I would ask the medical professionals these questions as they should be the experts.

12-Apr-18
It is VERY tough to get totally comfortable at night...

12-Apr-18
I had both knees done on Nov 29. I have a construction company and I've been back working for a month or more. Some days are better than others. I haven't figured it out yet but I can tell the weather affects them. I do have to try to not do too much sometimes. Sleeping at night in bed has been the worst part of it. Sometimes you just can't get comfortable.

12-Apr-18
How old are you elkman?

13-Apr-18
Just turned 45. (It ain't the years, it's the miles)

13-Apr-18
I turned forty a few months ago, my knees suck from youth sports, this is in my future.

Hoping to not need til 50 or so but we’ll see...

I have heard many good stories of the benefits... keep up the good work man!

13-Apr-18
Best of luck in your recovery... tho the elk won't be happy to see you!

13-Apr-18
I am heading down this road, on both sides at some point. About to turn 54, at 48 they talked me out of partial replacement for an osteotomy (brutal recovery) to buy my real knee 5-10 more years. They were concerned about wearing it out and needing to replace the replacement (I was still an active soccer ref who was essentially eating advil like candy to survive)

I be in the replacement group within the next year I would estimate, pain is coming back fast now

14-Apr-18
Wow that is rough. So I guess the osteotomy didn't work then?

14-Apr-18
It worked, it's been 6 years and that knee is now better than the other, but showing its first twinges in 6 years

15-Apr-18
Oh I see. Hopefully you can get a partial if they do it. I can tell it is going to be near 100% when I get through. I am 6 weeks and 2 days out as of yesterday, and I hiked 2-3 miles in the mountains, in the snow chasing Turkeys and other than some stiffness and some after swelling it was just like "me"...

15-Apr-18
That is good to hear Elkman! I've had several knee and hip injections and 3 knee cleanouts that helped a lot but at 71 I know the day is coming. No,no, not that day! I mean surgery. Probably hip first. Keep during your rehab and you'll have a fun Fall.

16-Apr-18
My uncle just had a hip done and he says he is amazed at how easy it was. He was back to work within days.

18-Apr-18
Going to hike again on Friday if my trainer doesn't kill me Thursday.

22-Apr-18
Climbed Mt. Helena yesterday in about 16 minutes.

02-Jun-18
How's the knee doing?

03-Jun-18
Climbed 900 vertical feet in a mile and half the other day in under 19 minutes. I still need to get my quad all the way back, but the docs. are amazed at where I'm at, so I guess I'm doing great!

03-Jun-18

Biobow's embedded Photo
Biobow's embedded Photo
I turned 59 in March. I had mine replaced on January 3, 2018. I was back to work after 16 days. I’ve been riding my bike, fishing the trout streams and working toward climbing my tree stands. I have great physical therapist. I told them my goals and they have been helping me to achieve them.

29-Jun-18
Progress is steady. Quad is still not all the way back, but I am able to pretty much do what I want. Lifting heavy on it twice a week, and climbing mountains once a week, with bike on the off days.

29-Jun-18
congrats man! My knees suck and ache at about a 2/3 out of 10 pretty continously. I was told i'll be getting new knees about 50yrs old or so.. this thread has been great, although kind of gross with that picture right above.. lol..

29-Jun-18
Thank God my knees have been good. My shoulders, now that's a different story. Will be having replacement in my future.

29-Jun-18
All surgeons sign their work before they cut to make sure they are doing the correct side. They do it in front of you before you go under. Had both knees tnr and it is the best thing ive ever had done.

30-Jun-18
You gotta get that sig...

19-Jul-18
Knee is progressing nicely

20-Jul-18
Right and left quad now measure the same, but I still have some pure "strength" to regain.

20-Jul-18
Glad to hear it's going well. How do u find your balance is on the replacement side leg?

21-Jul-18
As good as ever

22-Jul-18
That's excellent!!! Sounds like u will b ready for Elk season.

22-Jul-18
AS I had posted previously I had my left knee replaced December 4th 2017. Was hopeful the right knee would last a couple more years. As spring progressed and my activity, which includes coaching our School Fastpitch softball team, the right knee became worse and worse. Had Surgery last Tuesday to replace the right knee. So far so good. Had first therapy Friday and range of motion is two weeks ahead of where it is expected. Pain has been quite manageable to this point. I am doing therapy as designed, and listening to my wife as told. Hoping no large scar tissue build up and goals set. 6 weeks out be able to catch for my varsity pitcher, 8 weeks out opening of bow-season, be able to hunt here in WI.

19-Dec-18
How are the new knees doing?

25-Dec-18
Sorry been hunting didn't see this. Mine is great. Had a great season. Went light on Elk hunting and just called in Elk for others but one still happened to get in the way of my arrow at 28 yards. Killed some deer with the bow, and then my first Lion.(bow) We leave tomorrow for the final push for training on the puppy and Pheasants final week of season. Then getting ready to depart for AZ. for a desert safari. Lot of hard work in the rehab and physical therapy but I truly believe you will only get out of these what you put in. I would say I'm at least 80% now and have no doubt I will be 100% by the spring.

26-Dec-18
Glad you got out there- you do get out what you put in. That's quite a season.

G

03-Jan-19
had TKR Oct 29, so coming up on 10 weeks. "Graduated" PT with 136 deg of bend, 1 degree from being straight. Back to "normal" workouts, but as they told me "don't be stupid, when it hurts stop" Still uncomfortable sleeping, gets stiff when I sit still or drive any distance. I work a desk job and my phone alarm goes every 30 minutes and I get up and walk a bit. been for 1 mile walks with my wife, no hiking really, but it's cold/snowy out in NH. PT/Doc say I am ahead of 95% of patients at this point. Back on bikes for real and will start spinning instruction again next week.

Back to "real" workouts, even with PT has pushed my leg to the limits. depressing!

Going snowshoeing in another week with Dr. blessing

Someone asked about being able to fly. I was told 6 weeks, then just be sure to tell the TSA agent at the screener that you are going to set it off!

05-Jan-19
I had to fly home the day after my surgery!

07-Jan-19
Training for next September has began in earnest now. Hills today.

07-Jan-19
Did my right knee Feb 17, 2018. Got along really well. I did things this hunting season that I could not a year ago. I am doing my left knee on Feb 25th. My retired nurse sister-in-law said she hopes this knee goes half as well as the other one. I told her I will do what I am suppose to do and it will go at least as well. Elkman I am glad you are doing well.

07-Jan-19
Awesome, Casey

28-Jul-19

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Just an update for any perspective knee patients- I'm back to 100%. Best decision I ever made. I would say go next level on your PT and rehab and you will get next level results.

28-Jul-19
Hey where is that pic taken

Looks awesome

And congrats on your knee man, I’ll be in that boat in ten yes or soo

28-Jul-19
Congrats on a great recovery I only hope mine comes out that well just had surgery on the 16th good luck Lewis

28-Jul-19
Peru?

29-Jul-19

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
Yes Peru. Machu Picchu to be exact. Just got back. Climbing in the Andes was amazing

29-Jul-19
Just to pile on! If you are having trouble walking, which is important for hunting, look into TKR! Had mine replaced 10/29/2018, so less than a year. Prior walking around the neighborhood had me in pain - less than 1/4 mile, golfing 9 holes was brutal. Tried hiking a 6 mile pretty easy trail, had me almost barfing due to pain. Now, just yesterday, after moving to WY, wife and I hiked a bit over 8 miles up to an alpine lake in the wilderness area in the Big Horn Mountains, could have gone forever, knee has ZERO pain or discomfort!

It's like night and day. We were actually discussing it and pointed out there's no way this move to WY would be nearly as fun as it is with my old knee.

• Sitka Gear