Magick Woman 28-Feb-18
Paul@thefort 28-Feb-18
Fuzzy 28-Feb-18
Magick Woman 28-Feb-18
smarba 28-Feb-18
Charlie Rehor 28-Feb-18
Fuzzy 02-Mar-18
28-Feb-18
while walking in mountains I found a 9 inch black bear skull. How old would that bear have been?

28-Feb-18
9 in long or 9 in wide? if long, less than one year old would be my guess.

28-Feb-18
9 inches long? 9 inches wide or total of 9 inches?

28-Feb-18
Paul I guess we were both typing at the same time.

28-Feb-18
9x5

28-Feb-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
A PY scored bear of 18 inch, the length was 11 9/16 and width was 7 3/6. so depending on

the bear pictured had a skull length of 10 1/2 and a width of 5 3/4 and that bear was 3 year old or a sub adult. So maybe then the 9 in skull was a two year old.

28-Feb-18
thanks I knew it was young. Adding it to my bone alter for honor.

28-Feb-18
Age is some what hard to tell by skull size.. Bears are a lot like humans when it comes to size.. There are big humans and little humans of the same age. Years back I killed a bear that was aged by tooth at 5 years old,, he weighted 350 dressed, had a skull that measured 19 even. My buddy kill a bear on the same trip, I don;t have the skull size.. But his bear was 7 years old and only weighed 155. ..

So my guess is that it was not a club and was at least over a year old.

28-Feb-18
cynthia, I have a show and tell table in my office of collected items like that.

Ps. my wife Tricia is from Greensboro. I can not remember seeing you on bowsite before.

28-Feb-18
You can't tell age by size. I once shot a bear, not big enough to make book but big enough to make a nice rug 5ft. My taxidermist called me and said " boy that was an old bear you shot". I said no can't be he was not that big, only 175 pounds. He said based on the tooth wear it was at least 12 years old. In MN you have to submit a tooth for cross section aging and when it came back, low and behold... 12 1/2 years. That said, a 9 inch skull length is on the smaller side.

28-Feb-18
I live in Appalachia in Western NC. I don't hunt live animals but am a hunter gatherer of artifacts. Bones, feathers, arrowheads, moss, rocks and on and on! I have a bone alter to honor and bring animal spirit into my home. I was very frustrated as I could not find any info on the age of the bear. I came across the site and I knew you all would know! I thank you all. Blessed Be

28-Feb-18
Cynthia. Even us bow hunters find great spirit and bring it into our souls when we kill, gather,and prepare the wild game meat to nourish our bodies. I am glad you found this site and welcome back any time. my best, Paul

28-Feb-18
Actually if the teeth are intact you can get a game biologist to age your bear skull precisely.

Do you live in a town/community called "Appalachia" are are you referring to the region in the Western Carolinas, and Maryland and Virginia, and eastern Tennessee West Virginia and Kentucky often referred to by outsiders as "Appalachia"?

28-Feb-18
teeth are intact. Live in Western NC Ashe county NC.

28-Feb-18
You might want to "subtly" check with your local Game and Fish. Here in New Mexico it would be illegal to pick up/possess a skull without first getting a permit from G&F. We can legally pick up shed antlers (e.g. elk, deer) but not skulls or horns that are not shed (e.g. lion, bear, sheep).

28-Feb-18
www.deerage.com

Check it out.

02-Mar-18
Ah, you are near Asheville NC then. A beautiful area Not far from me at all. I am in Western VA near the town of Wytheville.

Can you post a picture of your bear skull? I can probably give you an estimated age.

• Sitka Gear