COHOYTHUNTER 01-Mar-18
bowyer45 01-Mar-18
Paul@thefort 01-Mar-18
standswittaknife 01-Mar-18
jims 01-Mar-18
smarba 02-Mar-18
eddie c 02-Mar-18
01-Mar-18
How many of you use hiking poles when elk hunting in steep and rocky terrain?

01-Mar-18
I have a pair of them from Costco. At a minimum, I use both when packing in a spike camp. From there I usually don't pack one or both while hunting during the day unless weather looks iffy. I have taken a few spills on wet/muddy steep slopes. Having at least one makes a huge difference. Poles are on my list of gear to upgrade this year (broke one).

I don't want to hijack your thread, but if anyone has suggestions on a brand that might collapse a little more than my "Costco" specials, it would be appreciated.

01-Mar-18
I keep one telescoping pole strapped to the side of my pack, only bust it out for really rough, steep descents but it helps tremendously. Fewer controlled falls and saves the knees a bit. Great for navigating deadfall also.

01-Mar-18
I don't carry them all the time, but they are always in camp if I need them, especially during the pack out.

01-Mar-18
I carry a pair all the time now. They make a huge difference for me . On the pack while hunting. Sometime one in one hand and the bow In the other. Hunt

01-Mar-18
i carry a pair all the time and use them every day at some point. would go without them. like having four wheel drive.

01-Mar-18
Not when I’m hunting, but for packing they’re a must for me.

01-Mar-18
I don't leave camp without them. As others have said, they are a must.

01-Mar-18
The elk country I normally hunt isn't steep enough to require them, but I used them constantly on my sheep hunt.

01-Mar-18
Always. Plus, thats what i pitch my tarp with so without them id be breaking branches and fiddling with that. Multi use gear like trekking poles is the best gear to have with you.

01-Mar-18
I haven’t hunted with them. However I always have a pair in camp. There great for hiking in or out with a spike camp. Pack outs are easier with a set of poles. I also use my poles for my shelter.

Not a big fan of the twist lock poles. The cam lock poles are much better.

I don’t think I have seen a bad review of Black Diamond poles. I do have a pair of REI COOP poles that have been good.

01-Mar-18

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Single pole always. Doubles as my elk decoy.

I hang my bow on my pack belt by my hip.

Best of Luck, Jeff

01-Mar-18
Always. Often use 1 while hunting; always have 2 with me to be ready for packing out meat. I'm sure footed and could get by without them, but I've found that having the 3rd balance point allows me to keep my head/eyes up a LOT more as I move. If the terrain is anything but gentle I use a pole, sometimes even leading up to a final stalk.

And when it's time to carry a load they can save your bacon!

01-Mar-18
I use an old ski pole. Much better than those that are always getting loose and collapsing.

01-Mar-18
I always have them with me. In some situations they stay in my pack, but more often than not when the terrain is bad I am using them.

01-Mar-18
I usually have a pair with me, often still-hunt with one pole, one in the pack. One pole really helps me navigate downed timber, which is common in the area I hunt. I wrap some orange tape around the one I hunt with, in case I end up leaving it in a hurry it is easier to find.

01-Mar-18
I don’t carry mine when hunting but they are priceless when packing meat. You’d be surprised how much it helps when you pull some weight with your arms going uphill. Big difference

01-Mar-18

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Like others have said packing yes,,,,hunting no.

01-Mar-18
Sort of. I break off a stick, trim it and use that. If I lose it no big deal.

01-Mar-18
Amazon has a bunch of them, with reviews.

01-Mar-18

Inshart's embedded Photo
My brother makes them out of Diamond Willow - mine is one from where we were camping
Inshart's embedded Photo
My brother makes them out of Diamond Willow - mine is one from where we were camping

01-Mar-18
In steep country and long (10+) hikes I do. Crazy how much relief they provide your hips and legs. And nothing like using them as a pick to pull yourself up a too steep hill.

01-Mar-18
I like to have at least one for packing out. I prefer the 3 piece Black Diamond Flicklock models as they can get real short and have other uses. Use as a tent pole to pitch an ultralight tarp to sit out a storm. I have used one as a shooting rest when rifle hunting while seated with my back against a tree and they can also double as a bino stick.

01-Mar-18
I use the Black Diamond Z carbon poles. Weigh 10oz for the pair and fit in the pack nicely. Before these I left my old poles in camp until an animal was down. Problem with that is you don't have them with you for the 1st load. They also come in handy to help pull myself up steep inclines or even to pick up the pace on flat roads.

01-Mar-18
always use 1... and a lot lighter then the sticks I used to pick up and use

01-Mar-18
I always have both of mine in my pack.. Most of the time I use one as my bow in my other hand.. But they both came in handy last year on both pack outs, bull elk in Colorado and cow in Wyoming.

01-Mar-18
I find I can find a sticks to use in the mountains when needed and do use them when packing meat. Makes a difference.

01-Mar-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Yep, up and down steep grade, heavy loads, rough terrain, crossing creeks,

01-Mar-18
Will never hunt again without them

01-Mar-18
I have a pair of Leki's that I've used and abused in Alaska and on Colo sheep/mtn goat hunts. As mentioned above they are a life saver on super steep, rocky terrain. You may want to take a look at Sierra Trading. You can likely get at least 1/2 off with a coupon code. If using poles while hunting I would suggest putting something over the tips or elk will hear you coming from a couple miles away (clanning on rocks)!

02-Mar-18
Good point jims: I glue the rubber tips on. You need to use the rubber tip style that has a metal washer inside that keeps the metal pole tip from ramming through the rubber in short order.

02-Mar-18
last year at the last minute I grabbed my collapsible shooting stick that has cam locks on it. worked pretty good for me. I had forgotten to buy regular sticks. I had picked this shooting stick up on clearance.

• Sitka Gear