Buffalo1 02-Mar-18
StickFlicker 02-Mar-18
Buffalo1 02-Mar-18
StickFlicker 02-Mar-18
Buffalo1 02-Mar-18
AZ~Rich 03-Mar-18
Buffalo1 03-Mar-18
02-Mar-18
Been doing a lot of research but can't find any info I'm look for. Simple question- what length horn is needed to qualify for SCI record book for a common reedbuck? Also, interested in photos of record book reedbucks with measurements. Tks

02-Mar-18

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Length of both horns added together, no circumference included, so 9" is minimum for Bronze with a bow.

02-Mar-18
StickFlicker,

If total score is 18" w/bow and that is approx. 9" of horn per side, what is the average horn length and the average horn circumference to get the 9"? What horn length am I looking for when field judging a common reedbuck- that is what I'm trying to determine. Never seen one, but 18" total seems small. JMHO, but that may be a "giant"! Tks

02-Mar-18

As I said above, there is no circumference measurement in the score in SCI. 18 divided by 2 horns is 9" long horns.

02-Mar-18
My old age oversite. It is just length. Tks for keep my straight.

03-Mar-18

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Yes, the soft bosses at the horn bases on reedbuck make circumferences too difficult for official measure, so SCI does not count it in total score. They tend to boil off with skull prep. My reedbuck scored well with SCI #15 w/bow. I seem to recall hard horn length was between 12.5-13". His bases were thick but that did not go into the calc. Total score was 25 5/8". Bases were ~6.5" each. The scary big ones in SCI are 15"-18" hardbone.

03-Mar-18
AZ,

Your photo helps to explain why circumference is not measured. That is one pretty animal. Congrats on a fine trophy.

• Sitka Gear