osage 03-Mar-18
creed 03-Mar-18
StickFlicker 03-Mar-18
Buglmin 03-Mar-18
creed 03-Mar-18
Empty Freezer 03-Mar-18
DMC65 03-Mar-18
02-Mar-18
Does anybody hunt mule deer otc archery in Arizona. I keep reading so many Coues Deer hunts but not much on mule deer. Is it a really tough hunt? I’m looking for something to hunt in January, tired of ice fishing. Any info would be much appreciated, as I have never hunted them before.

02-Mar-18

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Low success but high reward! The mule deer are very difficult to pattern and densities are pretty low but if you know how to glass and you have a little luck it can be done!

02-Mar-18
It's a FUN hunt!

02-Mar-18
My favorite hunt by far. I spend 4-6 weeks every year in the desert chasing muleys.

02-Mar-18
I spent over 25 days chasin desert mulies and loved every minute of it!! Lots of hunters in the areas close to the cities. It's tough, and not every buck you see will allow you the opportunity to stalk. With the long season, you'll be able to cover some country to find em.

02-Mar-18
What do you guys hunt out of? Would a spike camp and a good sleeping bag be ok? January rut sounds like it could be addicting Thanks

03-Mar-18
Usually the night time temps are in the upper teens to 30 degree range in the areas I hunt but it can get bitter cold on the desert. I have talked to many hunters over the years that are shocked at how cold it can get. I set up a base camp and hunt from there. You need to be mobile. Deer that are in an area this year may not be next year depending on water and quality feed. One of my favorite areas this year was almost void of deer. The unit wildlife manager said it was due to the lack of rainfall and feed.

03-Mar-18
Good Mule Deer hunt in desert areas.Deer are few,but there are some real monsters out there.Set up and camp and glass from up top.Be ready to move areas frequently as deer are very mobile from area to area.Water is the key!No water no deer.We are in a drought situation right now."Ranchers"are trucking in water and food to failing cattle herds.Get back in there,ATV'S are taking over our deserts.(no people=more deer) Good luck! dirtclod Az.

03-Mar-18
ATV's, beer cans and mounds of TRASH scattered all around. Shotgun shells, empty brass and broken glass. I find it hard to believe that lots of people treat the deserts in that manner. I was just plain shocked from the last trip to Arizona.

03-Mar-18
Unfortunately Osage is right but much isn’t like that. There are still areas that are pristine. And there is still fantastic hunting in some areas.

03-Mar-18
Although the shotgun shells and and occasional other things might be caused by Arizonans (especially target shooters), the areas with mounds of trash are usually near the Mexico border. Illegals spread absolutely thousands and thousands of pounds of trash across our southern deserts every year. There used to be hunter groups that would rent trash bins and pick-up something like 10 tons of trash in the same areas year after year, but eventually they became discouraged and apparently have stopped. It would be nice of some of the groups that want to help them cross by placing water stations in the desert, and encourage them with sanctuary cities, would take more responsibility for the damage they cause.

03-Mar-18
Most of the areas I hunted were within a two hour drive from my house, so I just left early in the mornings. It allowed me to travel to and hunt lots of units and areas. We were waiting for the snow fall up north that we never got till right before the end of the season, while a few units down south got snow the first week of January.

As far as monsters go, let's be realistic. Although I did see some big bucks, bucks in the 170" range, I saw more three points then anything, 22" to 24" three points. I hunted the same three three points for almost a week straight, and a friend killed one Christmas morning. When you find bucks with does, camp on em, and don't push the does out. Bucks were smaller in body size then I was used to, and a beautiful dark grey.

Learn to glass and where to glass, and you gotta move to keep track of your targeted buck. Although cold in the mornings, by 8:00 is was already in the mid 50's. Keep your head and shoulders covered while glassing to keep yourself cool, and carry more water then you usually carry, you'll need it.

And carry tweezers!!! you'll get more cactus then you've ever imagined!!

03-Mar-18

creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
I don't remember where I got this but this is the kind of stuff StickFlicker is talking about.

03-Mar-18
Its an awesome place to hunt but it will piss you off to see all the trash, toilet paper and human sheet from the illegals. Somebody is puttin out drums of water for them and there is trash everywhere around them. Some how you have to forget that people treat our country that way. Alot of Americans do too. I just really enjoy the desert in january and you will see lots of deer and maybe those little black turds runnin around that i cant close too..

03-Mar-18
Challenging hunt but lots of fun. Each year I have hunted southern az. I have seen at least a couple big mulie bucks. Be in your glassing spots early. Best to get up high before it's light enough to see far. The guys who taught me how to hunt the desert are very good at it and they say the big bucks hang way out in the flats by the time the rut starts. They have been hunted by the long rangers and the flats are sanctuary. Those desert deer will move incredible distances from feed to bed . Pecan orchards and crop fields are magnets . Have fun and be aware of where you put your hands and your behind . Everything there will stick you.And like buglmin said , carry more water than you think you'll need . You may end up a long way from the truck baking under a blazing sun waiting for your buck to stand for a shot!!

• Sitka Gear