Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Nope

03-Mar-18
It can be tough - especially if it's warm, but just get up early (3am) and go listen for where they are and set up a plan from there.

03-Mar-18

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

03-Mar-18
No. I believe it can have an effect for sure, but no way. I used to believe that with a dark moon, elk weren’t up as much at night. Trailcams have proved that to be 100% false. So I go when I can go and hunt as many daylight hours as I can.

03-Mar-18
I always enjoy the moon question. I live near an elk farm and the owner says the elk are most active 3 days before and after a full moon. I also know a guide in Arizona that prefers hunts on and around the full moon. Others will argue they aren't as active. I have kept a journal for the last 15 years and haven't found a specific trend.

03-Mar-18

cnelk's Link
Every so often the full moon topic comes up...

See link

03-Mar-18
Like stated get up extra early and get on top of them at first light.

03-Mar-18
Where I hunt getting on top of them means thermals blowing to them. I prefer dark nights and it’s probably psychological. I hunt when I can regardless of moon though.

03-Mar-18
I like the moon but it's mostly because I like to walk in or out when it's dark and much of the country I hunt doesn't have trails that are readily visible if they exist at all. I hate to use a light and the moon allows safe travel without using a light.

Animals have to eat and will breed regardless of the moon phase. Warm weather probably accounts for more of the "the rut was delayed" and other myths regarding the moon and weather. Off track a bit.

03-Mar-18
i hunt every day i can and do not care what the moon is doing.

03-Mar-18
I agree, the Full Moon is not a time to stay out of the Elkwoods! Here's some info that I've shared in the past about elk behavior in general with or without the full moon! Hope it helps!

Full Moon Myths - Don’t be confused with full moon myths. All the moon does is let the animals go nocturnal. Hot weather can slow down the search for cows and bugling during day light hours. The heat can lead elk towards being lethargic just as it does us! Cows cannot control when their estrus cycle will start, in other words they cannot choose it happening only after night fall! Full Moon times during peak rut is magic!

Photo-Periodism -- length of daytime light hitting the retina of the eye controls pretty much everything in an elk’s life. not the moon. The length of day triggers all the hormone releases which in fact control the rut. These hormone releases trigger bulls to rub off velvet, trigger the cows cycle which there are 4 of. The first cycle happens around the 25th of Aug. the 2nd cycle around the 15th of Sept. 3rd cycle around Oct 10th and 4thcycle around first week of Nov. which would be the final one.

So the peak for breeding cows happens around mid Sept into the first week of Oct. A cow is in Estrus for a period of 12-15 hours but if she isn't bred in that time frame she will have to wait 20-21 days for her next window of opportunity. Of course not all cows come into heat/estrus at the same time. The older cows will generally come into an estrus cycle first followed by the younger cows.

Bottom line, get out there & hunt, the Full Moon is a moot point & one of my favorite times to hunt elk!

ElkNut/Paul

03-Mar-18
If I had to choose a period to all things being equal I prefer hunting three to four days after the full moon be it deer or elk. I really like to hunt when the moon is on the horizon be it in the evening or morning. This doesn’t mean that I will not hunt if it is a full moon but I just prefer the period after the full moon.

03-Mar-18
Nope

03-Mar-18
Thanks. I really appreciate the input. Very helpful. And it doesn't sound like it makes any difference to most of you. Ohiohunter, THANKS...you nailed it. If I'm in Colorado, I'll hunt full moon or not. But when I'm planning my 1 week from Illinois...I was just curious to know if it did have an impact, or not. I'm not at all concerned about how it affects the rut. I'm interested in shooting the first cow that gives me an ethical shot. #hungryformeat LOL

03-Mar-18
"So if you had 1-2wks to hunt in September, would you plan around the moon or not?"

Never

03-Mar-18
Sure makes a difference in when to plant the Okra.

03-Mar-18
Okay, to your question, I generally find out I've got a full moon to hunt under when I get there. It doesn't enter into my planning in any way.

03-Mar-18
It’s absolutely 100% proven you CAN NOT kill elk during the full moon or anytime even near the full moon. Especially during the first week of the season. Just leave that burden on me and I’ll endure that suffering! ;-) (extreme sarcasm emphasized)

03-Mar-18
Lung$hot, too funny. Not to worry. I was only asking about hunting elk...not killing them.

03-Mar-18
For me moon phase as a hunting consideration comes in right behind gasoline prices

• Sitka Gear