MedicineMan 06-Mar-18
Highlife 06-Mar-18
Tilzbow 06-Mar-18
bowbender77 07-Mar-18
BUDMEADOWS 14-Mar-18
StickFlicker 14-Mar-18
BUDMEADOWS 14-Mar-18
05-Mar-18
I've been watching ticket prices for my upcoming trip to South Africa at the end of the summer and am considering going with British Airways, but was wondering if any others had flown with them or had any issues with archery gear while flying with them??

I've flown Delta my last 3 trips, so not counting that option out, just checking to see about other options that are out there.

05-Mar-18
I flew British in 2016. No issues at all

05-Mar-18
South africa is in BIG TROUBLE. i would think loooong and hard before leaving a deposit there right now. They are going tge way of Zimbabwe and are going to confiscate white farmers land. This will lead to economic disaster and likely much worse. Hate to see guys lose money cuz of civil unrest, outfitter no longer owning the concessions etc. Be careful guys.

05-Mar-18
So what else is new moose? This has been the news over there for 20 years...

06-Mar-18
Moose, thanks for your concern. I've done quite a bit of research and spoke with my good buddy (whose my PH) several times about it and just like the media here at home does over things, the media there is the same blowing everything out of proportion. If it was bad, I promise he and his family would be back in the US A.S.A.P. as they are dual citizens here in the US. Most of the hoopla is coming about due to elections coming up and this isn't the first time this has all came about.

Thanks for the input from all.

06-Mar-18
I'll be there in December. Gosh golly gee I hope we make it back to do a hunting report!

06-Mar-18
You fly through London Heathrow, not Stansted and that confiscated necklace could’ve happened anywhere since there are stupid people everywhere. I flew through LH on British Air once without incident. The Premier Economy is nicer than Delta’s too.

07-Mar-18
Word is that they have some issue with BED BUGS. Just sayin.

14-Mar-18

BUDMEADOWS's embedded Photo
Namibian Eland May 2017
Namibian Eland May 2017
I flew British Air from ORD to LHR to JoBerg to WDH in May 2017. Had an 8 hour layover in London, but took the "Tubes" into downtown London and sightsaw for a few hours. Booked my tickets direct with BA and roundtrip all-in was $1235. Food was good, flights on time and service was good. I took the same route in 2015.

14-Mar-18
Bud, I've wondered about doing some sightseeing on a layover such as London. How much of a problem was it to leave the airport and then come back in, since you aren't a citizen and are only there on a layover? What is involved? Can you elaborate on what all you went through and how much time each step took? Thanks.

14-Mar-18

The London Shard
The London Shard
StickFlicker: The layover in London Heathrow is about 8 hours. There's a Tube station right at the International Terminal. It's about $6.00 one way to Piccadilly Circus, where I always get off. The train ride is about 40 minutes one way. I always stop at the Duty Free Shop at LHR and buy some Cuban cigars. When I get to Piccadilly Circus, I fire up a Cuban and walk around to stretch my legs after the long flight. After my cigar, I hop on one of the "Original Big Bus Tours" which do about a 2 hour circuit of all the sights in London. The fare was about $30.00 US. You can hop on and off the bus unlimited times in a 24 hour period. Leave yourself at least 3 hours for the Tube ride back to LHR. The last time I took the Tubes, the train caught fire and had to be evacuated! Bring either a camera or an IPhone, as there is so much historic scenery in London. Here's a picture of the "Shard" one of London's newest skyscrapers, and of course Big Ben

• Sitka Gear