sticksender 07-Mar-18
lineman21 07-Mar-18
JLeMieux 07-Mar-18
Stick 07-Mar-18
Don K 07-Mar-18
akbow 07-Mar-18
Stick 07-Mar-18
06-Mar-18
After reading some input on the Colorado Hybrid draw from posters more smarterish than myself I dove into the draw statistics from last year. I, like many of you other nonresidents, am in no mans land when it comes to preference points. I currently have 8. I figured I would keep applying in a hybrid unit that has a good number of tags compared to the other hybrid units. After researching deeper I found that no hybrid tags were given out to nonresidents last year. Turns out we meet the non resident cap before any hybrids are issued. So I just wanted to put this public service announcement out there. Heck maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this...! I knew it would be a long shot anyway but turns out its impossible.

I guess I'll hope for 76 in a couple or 10 years depending on creep... Happy hunting!

06-Mar-18
Researching this was on my list of things to do ... looks like you've saved me a little trouble. Dang.

06-Mar-18
When is the current 5 year plan up? Wonder if they will change things up in the draw? Another guy here in no mans land with 7 points. Think I may cash them in for a 2 or 3 point unit just so I can hunt it now and again in a few years.

06-Mar-18
That’s where I’m at too. Thinking about getting rid of my points. Although I have a good OTC spot so I’m not in a hurry.

06-Mar-18
76 isnt worth waiting another 10 years for. I would find another unit and go hunting unless you have the next 9 years mapped out.

07-Mar-18
Lineman21, to calculate the number of years you are away from drawing a higher-demand elk tag such as 76 archery, figure the catch up rate at about 5 years per point. This has held true for a long period of time, and will continue unless something changes drastically. So if you had 7 points last year when it took 14 to guarantee draw, then you are roughly 35 years from drawing. I have 12 points and am roughly 15 years away from drawing that hunt. The wait will become longer once CPW cuts the NR allocation ceiling on that hunt from 35% to 20%. But in either case, IMO it is far too long to wait for such a marginal hunt. I will burn my points on another hunt as soon as scheduling allows.

07-Mar-18
I am to the point of not wanting to collect large number of points. i am trying to cash mine in for the past few years. I really can care less about a trophy, or score. I would like to be able to just draw a cow tag every year!

07-Mar-18
Don't know what will happen at the next 5 yr plan. Last time they punted with allocation changes- didn't add any more to the Hybrid draw and didn't change any NR hunts to 20% from 35%.

That's why you notice in the Regs the hunts are calculated from the 2009 draw for the 20% NR cap.

CO is very NR friendly compared to most western states. CPW knows it can get more $ from NR as does the vocal Outfitter lobby

07-Mar-18
sticksender, no offense but I think your calculations are off.

If I had 7 points in 2017 and it took 14 to guarantee a Unit 76 tag in 2017, but point creep is progressing at a rate of 1 point+ per every 5 years it would look like this:

2017-7 preference points-14 to draw 2018-8 pp-14 to draw 2019-9 pp-14 to draw 2020-10 pp- 14 to draw 2021-11 pp- 14 to draw 2022-12 pp- 15 to draw 2023-13 pp- 15 to draw 2024-14 pp- 15 to draw 2025-15 pp- 15 to draw

Maybe I’m not seeing it correctly and I know there are many variables that can change. I’m not saying it’s any better either. If I’m thinking correctly you aren’t as far away from 76 as you think.

07-Mar-18
Lineman, it's way simpler than that.

Ten years ago it took 6 points to guarantee NR draw for that hunt. Last year it took 14. That's 8-points of creep in 10 years. So we know our rate of gain towards drawing is 1 point every 5 years.

Same is true for all the other high-demand elk hunts for NR's. Even a little worse in units like 40, which are actually experiencing "point leap".

A widespread misunderstanding of this effect however, is one of the reasons that people continue to build points.

07-Mar-18
Ok, I was looking at it the other way with your info. Gotcha now.

07-Mar-18
Lineman, you're talking about the creep rate. SS is talking about the rate it takes to catch up. For example if it takes 5 years to catch up 1 point like he said, then if you're sitting on 10 points and it took 11 to draw it will take 5 years to catch up to that one point deficit.

07-Mar-18
So, do ya burn 15pps, draw 76, or just give up due to the quality of elk reported in 76 now? I will have 16 after this year is I keep them, but am running out of time age wise....

07-Mar-18
Stick, That would be your choice. 76 is a fun hunt but I would not build points as a NR just to hunt that unit. Look at your options and choose your hunt and go have fun.

07-Mar-18
Stick, I'm almost in the same boat as you sitting at 16 right now. Before this year, it had been so cheap to apply (non-refundable anyway) that I was just letting it ride and see what happens down the road. I was hoping they'd make some sort of change or another loophole, like when they let you only cash the number of points required for the unit. But, with the $56 license I'm now going to have to buy--I am looking to cash out in 2019 (I already have a bison tag for AK this fall, so can't cash out yet). I just can't justify $56 for another 10+ years just to get to Unit 61. I was planning on burning them on 76 next year, but now I am hearing that I might as well waste them on 2-4 point tags. It hurts me to think of burning 17 points next year on a 2-4 point unit. Oh well, to this point I only have 16 @$3/year into it!

07-Mar-18
Yeah, sounds about right...I would burn them this year but waiting to get someone to hunt with...I will be 68 in Aug., although I am in pretty good physical shape, I am not going into a wilderness area like 76 alone...my luck would be to stick one 6-8 miles in and down in drainage someplace, or worse fall myself and break something and end up coyote bait. I will be hunting this year OTC with my nephew and friends...maybe get lucky next year on here and find another NR, or resident that wants a hunting partner for 76.. Thanks for the input and help. Mike

• Sitka Gear