Mertyman 08-Mar-18
c5ken 13-Mar-18
petedrummond 13-Mar-18
petedrummond 13-Mar-18
StickFlicker 13-Mar-18
petedrummond 13-Mar-18
t-roy 13-Mar-18
07-Mar-18
When I've flown in the past I've borrowed a friend's SKB. Going to Nebraska on a turkey hunt next month and want to buy my own case. What are my options other than SKB for 2 bows? I love the SKB, just want to see what else is out there before I buy. Thanks!

07-Mar-18
I've got an SKB double bow case, the 4217 I think... Really nice case - would be good to fly with - if ever needed...

I've seen the Lakewood Double bow cases and they are nice too... If you ever fly - the SKB would be the one I would lean towards...

https://www.lakewoodproducts.com/product/double-bow-case-41/

07-Mar-18

Russell's Link
I sold my Lakewood bow case and bought a Tuffpak.

07-Mar-18
Just got my SKB 4217 for my trip this May...Looks like it's made real well w a warranty that can't be beat and there's room for our 2 bows... Have a Plano case but not loving the flimsy plastic...Not worth the risk...good luck

07-Mar-18
Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffel for $150 allows you to put a soft bowcase case inside if your bow in soft case is shorter than 41-1/2" or so. Duffel is 42" long x 18" wide x about 18" tall if totally stuffed. Works great for two bows and all your gear. Wasn't too bad for oversize charges at $26 (under 50#) and $28 (when over $50) flying in Canada recently. Certainly avoids the cost of checking another bag due to the volume you can carry in it. Pack your clothes around the bow(s) and it is good protection. Roller wheels and handle make moving it around easy too. YMMV.....good luck.

07-Mar-18
The Plano AW case seems to be stout. Much cheaper then an SKB as well.

07-Mar-18
I recently bought the Plano AW case (the one with yellow handle) and it is stout. Thicker plastic than their other models. You just have to be sure your bow will fit due to the pillars. My Nitrum, because of the riser shape, just fits. However the riser and cables do touch the pillars. I wrapped the pillars with felt for extra protection, but the good thing also is the bow just cannot move around in the case at all.

07-Mar-18
Is the Plano AW a double case? That's what I'm looking for

07-Mar-18
I looked up the Plano and it's a single. Not many choices in double cases, will probably go with the SKB

07-Mar-18
I have a pole mountain hard case that pretty durable. Fits 2 bows. And the positive is it doesnt look like a bow case.

07-Mar-18
Check the weight on a double SKB. I use my bowcase to carry optics, GPS, and other expensive stuff since I can lock it. With my SKB I was always pushing weight limits for flying. Then the airlines was able to wreck it (the SKB was tough, but the baggage handler was apparently tougher)--broke a handle and one of the locks off. Nothing missing, but busted up. replaced it with a lightweight Plano--no issues with weight anymore and I figured if they can break my SKB they can break the Plano and I can buy two more and still save money over the SKB.

07-Mar-18
I would recommend NOT using a hard case. There are numerous soft options which adequately reduce size, cost, and headaches all around.

07-Mar-18
SKB!

07-Mar-18
Mathewsman,

Do you fly with a soft case?

08-Mar-18
Is Pole Mountain out of business? I liked that case and didn't get one bought when I should have...dangit.

08-Mar-18
SKB baggage handlers are ruthless gorillas

08-Mar-18
You must not want to spend much, which is fine, especially if you don't have much in your bow. If I ever needed another to replace my metal Kalispel, which is no longer made, I would get a Pelican.

08-Mar-18
I have a Pelican for the AR and a SKB 4217 double for the bow. Both have served me well. Have you noticed that most cases are compared to the SKB? There’s a reason for that.

08-Mar-18
The SKB I have is technically a single bow case, but I can fit my 2nd bow in a soft case inside of the hardcase. Makes for great versatility having one case that can be used for one or two bows. Unfortunately I can't remember which model # it is.

13-Mar-18
SKB all the way. A lot of money but your stuff will be secure...i

13-Mar-18

petedrummond's embedded Photo
Soft rolling duffels are the best i found. Been everywhere with my badlands terra glide. Clothes cushion bows and one less bag making it easier and cheaper.nobody gives it a second look. Been to europe africa canada and all over us from new york to washington to texas and no problem. Never been inspected anywhere.

13-Mar-18

Soft rolling duffels are the best i found. Been everywhere with my badlands terra glide. Clothes cushion bows and one less bag making it easier and cheaper.nobody gives it a second look. Been to europe africa canada and all over us from new york to washington to texas and no problem. Never been inspected anywhere.

13-Mar-18
My Hoyt is about 1 1/2" too long to fit on the badlands... The double bow SKB that I've used in the past used to be excluded (archery equipment) from oversized charges on Delta on all of my flights to Africa, but they have changed that. Now it is 10" too big, and may incur substantial charges depending on the ticket agent.

"I use my bowcase to carry optics, GPS, and other expensive stuff since I can lock it."

I would NEVER, EVER put expensive optics, GPS etc. in a checked bag! They open locked bags all the time for TSA checks, etc., and things can easily just disappear. Plus, many airlines exclude cameras and other such items from their liability if damaged while in checked luggage. Always carry-on such items!

13-Mar-18
Thats why badlands doesnt get checked. It looks like clothes.

13-Mar-18
krieger.....My understanding is Pole Mountain is out of business. They are a really nice case. I’m glad I bought mine when I did.

X2 on the Terraglide, if your bow will fit.

• Sitka Gear