SBH 09-Mar-18
tradhntr 12-Mar-18
Nick Muche 12-Mar-18
SBH 12-Mar-18
mcarchery12 03-May-18
mcarchery12 04-May-18
Stekewood 16-Jan-19
07-Mar-18
Buddy of mine won an unguided fly in caribou hunt with Ram Aviation at our states annual bowhunter convention. It was an auction deal. Looked em up in the outfitters section but didn't find anything, maybe cause its a drop camp unguided setup? Anyways, curious if anyone here has done this hunt and how it went. Thanks

07-Mar-18

Nick Muche's Link
Could be a fun trip, they are out in Kotz

07-Mar-18
It likely depends on where the caribou are. I used them a few years back and we did not see a caribou in a week. I did not think they treated us very well as they knew there were not any caribou in the area when we booked.

We booked it last minute and they knew they were not there when they took our money. They told us the size of the herd and there were caribou everywhere.

Good luck.

07-Mar-18
Beware of RAM. They book at alot of shows and don't expect return customers because they are about quantity not quality. Their reputation is not good up here in Alaska. I don't know of any Alaskan that uses them. Everyone I know that goes to Kotz uses Golden Eagle or Northwest--can't go wrong with either, although we always use Northwest. Also, the herd is struggling up there and coming later --during the rut. That's why we quit going to Kotz. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that is my experience FWIW.

07-Mar-18
Iv e heard similar stories in the past. BUT it's a cheap alaskan hunt. Go expecting no bou and bad weather. If it's nice out you're a winner, if there's bou you're a big winner. Go for the adventure!

07-Mar-18
Haven't used them or even flown out of Kotz. Haven't heard good about them either. A new report came out from ADF&G about the Porcupine herd increasing but not sure where you'd access from, Fort Yukon?

07-Mar-18
Good stuff guys. I appreciate the honest feedback and respect your opinions if you have already done this with them. My buddy got a really good price on it at the auction but didn't do any research or anything beforehand. He wasn't planning on bidding on it and I didn't even know it was on the list but a few whiskey drinks later.....you know how it goes. So far no one has really anything good to say here, so that's a bummer. Good lesson to be learned here.

08-Mar-18
Well here is good.....if it was won cheap enough then all you can say is there is potential for upside. its and hunt and short money is on the line....what the hell. Go for it.

08-Mar-18
Yikes, not good feedback! Hope it works out for the best....hunting vacation is a terrible thing to waste.

08-Mar-18

Russell's Link
Here's a thread from 2011.

09-Mar-18
We wen't with them last year they did everything they said they would do they are mostly in to taking rifle hunters we could of killed caribou everyday with a rifle,they even moved us to another camp because the bears in the first camp where really bad and offered us a couple more days to stay there.they tried there hardest to try to get us in front of the caribou it is not an easy hunt with a bow because of the barren ground.Brian is an excellent pilot.

09-Mar-18
Bow hunting caribou on land that lacks brush or contour is really tough. Hunted the haul road a lot and there were caribou we ignored. Called them "Far Side of the Moon Bou". Was a waste of time and energy. If you were hunting in that kind of land, rifle is the only reasonable choice.

The effort they put in to you actually speaks well of them regardless of your success.

09-Mar-18
Thanks guys. Keep em coming. Russell, thanks for that old thread. Appreciate it.

I'm guessing its new ownership now, since that Mike guy went to jail. New owner is named Brian as I understand and my buddy has been on the phone with him. Maybe a lot of the negatives were due to the old owner? Russell's thread goes into detail a bit on what happened there.

12-Mar-18
Yeah Brian is the new owner he is trying to do everything right to get a better reputation.They where waiting for us as soon as we got to the airport took us to the motel flew us out quickly the next morning Brians wife organized all are license stuff made sure we had everything we needed,we brought all are own camping stuff and food we rented chairs and propane from them.Make sure you have a satellite phone so you can let them know how the weather is where your at and when they can pick you up and just and case of an emergency.

12-Mar-18
Sounds like they are trying to become much better... I'd do it.

12-Mar-18
Thanks Eric. That's good to hear. PM sent.

I hear ya Nick! Now I just need to get that invite:)

03-May-18
I used them. Me and my buddy killed nice bulls. Im not saying the pilots or anyone was very personable. Sheila was pleasant. They had some issues in past with the law. Hope they are trying to make it right. We had a fun hunt, but they pretty much just fly you out and drop you off, and pick you up. Dont ask for much more. You are at the mercy of the caribou gods. And you will be pretty much on your own in Kotz. You can just walk everywhere. They told us the people there don't like hunters, but if you are respectful they are very great people. Spend some money in Kotz at the local stores, it will be appreciated. Donate your meat. They use it in the village. We ate in the field and donated the rest.

04-May-18
Oh, didnt know about new owner. Alot has probably changed since I have been there.

16-Jan-19
Did anyone hunt with them this past fall or know anyone that did?

• Sitka Gear