Ermine 11-Mar-18
Michael 11-Mar-18
TEmbry 11-Mar-18
OFFHNTN 12-Mar-18
Robear 12-Mar-18
Steve H. 12-Mar-18
09-Mar-18

Bowboy's Link
Looks like it's getting closer for a grizzly season. Wonder when they'll open the application period?

The first Wyoming grizzly bear hunt in over four decades will target 24 animals if commissioners who oversee the the state's wildlife sign off on a proposal released Friday.

A topic of fierce controversy, the hunt is being devised in a way that state officials hope limits the chance of the bold large carnivore being shot in public view, or killed adjacent to Grand Teton National Park. A no-hunting zone will abut the east boundary of the park, and throughout the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem it will be illegal to kill a grizzly within a half-mile of a named highway, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Chief Warden Brian Nesvik said.

?The intention is to address public concern that was focused on there being hunting and wildlife viewing going on at the same time,? Nesvik said.

Half of the overall statewide quota ? 10 male bears and two females ? is being distributed among six hunt zones that fall within a 19,279-square-mile ?demographic monitoring area? in the Yellowstone region?s core. Another 10 boars and two sows will be targeted outside this area, in outskirts reaches of the ecosystem where the federal government is not imposing limits on hunting.

The rules on hunting outlined in the draft regulations greatly differ inside and outside of the monitoring area, which encompasses Jackson Hole.

To ensure no more than two female bears are killed, a maximum of two hunters at a time will be allowed afield within the monitoring area.

?People will put in for a license, but we will only take the top two on the list,? Nesvik said. ?They would essentially be able to choose any of those six hunt areas up until the time either the female mortality limit is reached, or the sub-quota for that particular area is reached.?

Outside of the monitoring area, the dozen hunters who draw a license will not be subject to the same two-at-a-time system. Carrying the state-issued texting device will also not be required outside the monitoring area.

?Outside the DMA,? Nesvik said, ?we?ll issue licenses like we would an elk area.?

The legal season for grizzly bears will be mid-September through mid-November, and the state has for now ruled out a springtime hunt, which exists for black bears.

09-Mar-18
6 grand for a NR tag......... wow

09-Mar-18
Great news. And 6 grand is a deal for a lower 48 grizzly bear. Wow. Sign me up. Hope Montana and Idaho take notes!! Hunt

09-Mar-18
Where did you see a price?

09-Mar-18
The anti's must be foaming at the mouth with spittal flying everywhere!!!

09-Mar-18
Very good news. 24 tags is much better than the few they were talking about 2 years ago. Hopefully guys can exercise caution and restraint and not get the season closed down too early by mistakenly killing females. Can't wait to see the maps.

09-Mar-18
Wow great news. I don’t think the 6 grand price tag is terrible. Considering it’s considerable more for a lower 48 resident to go to Alaska or Canada.

09-Mar-18

Bowboy's Link
SteveH see the link for prices.

09-Mar-18
Hunt man..damn straight....tiny quota,,,but still...in comparison,,,,a deal!!!

09-Mar-18
I just read the comments below the link/article. It’s unbelievable how ignorant, uninformed and emotional these people are. I guess I should believe it. 8~(

I hope it goes forward and is a success. I also am surprised at the number of tags proposed.

09-Mar-18
will non residents be required to have a guide?

09-Mar-18
Ambush...that's hilarious. And true!

09-Mar-18
Great news....I wonder if they'll allow bowhunting?!

Bowboy, Ron N., Wyobullshooter, Lonebull, I hope you get tags!

10-Mar-18
AK had a great video about "how to tell a male bear" or some title like that. It or something similar should be required viewing for anyone buying a license.

10-Mar-18
6 K for athe tag then get bent over by the wilderness outfitter rule in WY. When it 6K in MT and Idaho and I can hunt on my own I am in...

10-Mar-18
Hope this goes well and MT/ID follow suit. That's more then I thought they would allow. Good for WYO. 6k is a spendy tag for sure but by far the cheapest grizzly hunt you will ever see. I think they played this right. Time will tell

10-Mar-18
Awesome news for you guys! I wish Alberta would adopt a similar program...we have way, way too many G bears here...especially in SW Alberta.

10-Mar-18
Pat,

From what I read in this bill bowhunting is allowed. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/May_CH-32_Draft-2-26-18-3.pdf

Per WY G&F Draft bill 2-26-18 Section 6. Archery equipment that is legal for the taking of big or trophy game animals. (a) For the taking of antelope, bighorn sheep, black bear, deer, mountain goat, mountain lion, or gray wolf where designated as a trophy game animal, a hunter shall use a longbow, recurve bow or compound bow of not less than forty (40) pounds draw weight and an arrow equipped with a fixed or expanding point broadhead that when fully expanded cannot pass through a seven-eighths (7/8) inch solid ring. 32-3 (b) For the taking of elk, grizzly bear or moose, a hunter shall use a longbow, recurve bow or compound bow of not less than fifty (50) pounds draw weight and an arrow equipped with a fixed or expanding point broadhead that when fully expanded cannot pass through a seven-eighths (7/8) inch solid ring. (c) For the taking of any big or trophy game animal with a crossbow, a hunter shall use a crossbow having a peak draw weight of at least ninety (90) pounds and a bolt of at least sixteen (16) inches in length equipped with a fixed or expanding point broadhead that when fully expanded cannot pass through a seven-eighths (7/8) inch solid ring. WYOMING GAME AND FISH COMMISSIO

10-Mar-18
You definitely do NOT need to go to the wilderness to shoot a griz. There are plenty everywhere.

10-Mar-18
I know that Ron wants the first one!

I would love to be second - resident or non-resident:)

Heck, as close as they are coming around Cody, Ron you probably have to be careful taking out the trash at your house!

10-Mar-18
I wonder if Wyoming is going to offer a preferance/bonus points option.

10-Mar-18
Ron beat me to it. Lots and lots of Grizz outside the wilderness. Heck, you could go to any number of ranches and ask them permission to shoot one of the several grizz feeding in their fields each night and I bet they'd give you free access...

10-Mar-18
Free access ....yea that won’t last long.

11-Mar-18
Spot-n-Stalk Grizzzzzz

Crazy

That will keep the Boys Sucked Up Tight! haha

Good luck, Robb

11-Mar-18
Gonna be fun with my longbow, Rob:)

11-Mar-18
So when do we apply!!!!?????

11-Mar-18
App deadline is proposed for July 16th.

11-Mar-18
Wow! That’s great! Grizz has always been one of my bucket list animals

11-Mar-18
How many non resident tags will there be? I am guessing 2. 1 for the Yellowstone area and 1 for outside the area.

11-Mar-18
I wish Alaska would wise up and do similar with the guide required species. Charge a lot more for the tags, cap the number, and allow DIY if the tag holder chooses. State makes more money and opens access to guys priced out of the outfitted hunt market these days.

12-Mar-18
The thing I don't like, as a NR, say I pull the $6k tag. Before I can even go hunt, 2 sows are killed and the season is closed. What do I do with that $6k tag except wipe my.........

12-Mar-18
I can't imagine that you would have to eat a 6K tag. No one would apply and take that risk. In that scenario, I would bet that the tag holder will have the option of having the tag renewed for the next season, or getting a refund. That is a good point that you brought up. I know in certain areas that have similar quotas for cougars, the locals have killed females on purpose to get the outfitters shut down early for the year.

12-Mar-18
If you stat digging to the actual proposed regulations you will find it says NR get up to 25%, therefore, 0-6 tags. One can also just apply to Unit 7 and not concern themselves with the 2 at a time part. Oh the irony if I drew and traveled from Alaska to Wyoming to hunt grizzly bear. I would accept that irony.

• Sitka Gear