Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Moose Photoed from the Deck at Lisa Lake
Moose Photoed from the Deck at Lisa Lake
B&C Coues Buck taken from Catalina Mountains
B&C Coues Buck taken from Catalina Mountains
I'm looking for DIY Bowhunters interested in Moose, Black Bear and Coues deer next year (2019). I have space available for Coues deer hunters for December of 2018 too. I have a new website that can be accessed from the Bowsite Sponsors menu. My cabins are probably the best DIY values in Alaska.

Not sure if all three of my photos will post, but the black bear was at one of our baits last year and I didn't kill him. I think he could be a Booner.

12-Mar-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
The Oracle camp is great...

12-Mar-18
Hi Bob,

Just curious, where is your cabin in AZ located at? Is actually in Oracle, or the surrounding areas?

12-Mar-18

Our house is in Oracle and the Casita is kind of our guest house. If flying into Tucson, I recommend renting a four-wheel drive pickup truck so you can get up into the Catalina Mountains. If you drive, drive a pickup truck.

12-Mar-18

I've never had an interest in it and don't even know the legality of it, but we have these little guys running around the yard. I'm pretty sure you have to draw a tag for them.

12-Mar-18
Oracle is a neat area. Far enough out of Tucson to be quiet and close enough to go down to town if you really want to. Some decent places to eat and a couple of nice little bars. Last time I hunted the Catalinas (a little south of there) I rented a jeep that I thought was 4WD. It was not. Glad my buddy had one of those side-by-side rigs so I could get up to my hunting area!

You have to draw a tag for javies. Fun to watch and play with. Easy to sneak up on and shoot with a bow. Not very good to eat...

12-Mar-18
PS - I was hunting near Oracle and saw a buck about like that one Bob got within 1/4 mile of town. 33 is a deer factory. Gets a lot of hunting pressure but still just keeps cranking them out - and some really good ones!

12-Mar-18
Someone just told me that guided hunts for moose are going for over $20,000 in the same unit my Lisa Lake cabin is in. I think my place is booked for two years now, but at $2,500 for two, I'm now certain its the best DIY moose hunting value in Alaska.

12-Mar-18

You aren't going to see moose every day, but you have a good chance of killing a moose like this one or better.

12-Mar-18
That moose cabin looks like a screamin' deal...

Hoping that I get an offer up in AK soon...

12-Mar-18
A friend and I are going to the Buck Shack on Kodiak Island this September......and I’m sure we’ll have a great time. Arizona Coues deer just may be another option in the future. Nice looking place to stay!

12-Mar-18

Hope you guys have a great time. I killed this buck in Roy's Saddle last fall and saw tons of deer while I was there in October. I killed two bucks in three days. Hope you guys leave a few bucks for Larry D. Jones and me this year. We'll be following you. Larry and a camera man are going with me to film the hunt, probably for Bowhunter TV.

12-Mar-18
That’s a nice one.....he would exceed my most wildest expectations. Can’t wait to see Kodiak for the first time. Good luck with Larry, and I’m sure there will still be plenty of deer left when we leave!

12-Mar-18

Actually, that buck looks better in the photo than he actually is. Kind of sat back a bit and took the photo through his rack. You'll see dozens of bucks better than that one. You're looking for one that looks like this. I hunted this specific buck for about 8 days and finally caught up with him in what is labeled either BTB's Saddle or Bob's Saddle on the map in the cabin. Can’t remember in my old age which is which, but it’s the one behind the low saddle and it’s not a bad place to spend time.

13-Mar-18
"Someone just told me that guided hunts for moose are going for over $20,000 in the same unit"

Crazy how expensive a moose hunt has gotten for those that want to go guided. Heck even a fly in DIY hunt will cost most anyone over 2,500$ and that doesn't come with a cabin.

13-Mar-18

I killed this buck in the Catalina Mountains this past January. Not a very good picture, but probably the widest buck I've killed. Didn't have very long points, but I couldn't pass when he followed a doe by my ladder stand at 18 yards.

13-Mar-18
Thanks for the tip, anything close to that size will be a bonus!

14-Mar-18
Jees- Bob I would give up hunting everything else if I could hunt Sitka Blacktails and Coues deer with your success!

14-Mar-18
Lucky I guess. Thanks for the compliment though, I have had some practice over the past 50 plus years.

15-Mar-18
Ssssssh Bob on the Arizona area,,, am retiring in 3 years or so and plan on spending winters in that area...8^)

15-Mar-18
Well, look for a place in Oracle. The only husband and wife team of Super Slammers, Ken and Anna Vorisek, have bought a house in Oracle. We have a pretty good time.

15-Mar-18
I have to put the brakes on the Lisa Lake cabin for moose hunting. I now have it booked out to 2021. Any farther out doesn't make sense, I may not be alive in 2022 and if I am I'll be over 67 years old!!!

• Sitka Gear