Russell 15-Mar-18
Russell 15-Mar-18
Buffalo1 15-Mar-18
Mark Watkins 15-Mar-18
Sivart 16-Mar-18
Kurt 16-Mar-18
mitchelk 17-Mar-18
14-Mar-18
Kuiu has several different shirt options... ultra merino, pelaton, Teton, tiburon and probably some I’m missing. Thoughts on which ones you like for elk and all around hunting Mike

14-Mar-18
For early season back pack style elk hunts it's hard to beat merino wool! You can wear the same shirt for multiple days without smelling yourself!

14-Mar-18
Not a kuiu fan but I love the long sleeve first lite tshirt for all day wear. And when it’s cold I’ll put the Chama hoodie over it.

14-Mar-18
Mike, I like the ultra merino base layer 145 with a peloton 200 hoody on top for most of my hunting. Stay away from the Teton shirts, I did not care for them. I have no experience with the Tiburon as I don't hunt in the type of conditions that would call for an extreme warm weather top like that.

14-Mar-18
145 zip t for me.

14-Mar-18
145 crew long sleeve. I prefer my First Lite merino, but since they no longer offer ASAT, I’ll be shifting more to KUIU.

14-Mar-18
+1 on the 145 zip. I also like Black Ovis 190 quarter zip when it's on Camofire for $35.

14-Mar-18
I like the 145 with 1/4 zip, gives more options when its hotter. Have never personally had issues with KUIU sizing but I guess it has happened. Same as wyo with first lite and asat. Bad move on their part IMO.

I still like to layer with my old cabelas microtex "heavy" shirt in outfitter. If I need it warmer I have a first lite merino vest over that. Need warmer yet I go to a first lite puffy, KUIU Yukon jacket..... or both....

14-Mar-18
First Lite Llano and Chama (both Merino) are my go to base layers for just about every type of hiking, scouting, or hunting I do. hard to beat IMO.

14-Mar-18
Go First Lite Merino long sleeve with the 1/2 zipper and hood for Sept elk... Best Sept base layer, IMO.

14-Mar-18
Core4/black ovis for 1/4 the price, and no holes after a month.

14-Mar-18
The merino wool stuff, I also have never had a size issue and have been adding clothing to my hunting line from Kuiu for about 4 years. That merino just does not get stinky after multiple days of hot weather. Cant say that about synthetics

14-Mar-18
I found that I like the Icebreaker better than the Core4element. Less itchy. More expensive usually, but Spring closeouts offer some opportunities.

14-Mar-18
I’m not seeing any camo sizes in stock on the first lite website??

14-Mar-18
I have both First Lite and KUIU merino long sleeve crews and like them both equally.

14-Mar-18
Hard to beat the Ultra merino for the price. I hear the new first lite merino mix is pretty amazing but no first hand experience yet.

14-Mar-18
Have a lot of merino these days. Kuiu, First Lite, Black Ovis, and Minus 33.

I absolutely love my First Lite tops and the merino pants with ripstop. Super comfortable and really helps expand your temperature range for variability thru the day.

The Black Ovis stuff is great for an under layer or just solids for a lot of my hunting - good price for good quality stuff.

The Minus 33 I have for under layers in white and black and it holds up well and the fit is very soft and comfortable.

I am not as pleased with my Kuiu shirt. It is the heavier weight merino and is very warm, but the fit is too tight and it is not as soft as any of the above even after several years of use and washing. I have trouble getting anything under it and should have ordered up a size.

14-Mar-18
Icebreaker merino is soft and regulates temperatures very well and I almost always have it on as an under layer. I'm also a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the "latest and greatest". But early last spring I bought a Kuiu 240 Pelaton full zip hoody. I actually cannot believe how good that jacket is in a lot of conditions. Very light and well fitting and quite windproof. If I'm moving, I'll wear only that and a merino shirt, even just below freezing.

14-Mar-18
I don’t like Kuiu’s new 90/10 wool/nylon mix. Feels starchy and stiff. I prefer the older 100% merino.

I need a new 1/4 zip light merino shirt. My old kuiu 100% merino is about to wear out. Sitka doesn’t make one either in 100% merino I don’t think.

Guess I’ll have to go to First lite in brown or green

14-Mar-18
Like others, I prefer first life's merino wool shirts. But I love the heavier kuiu peloton shirts/hoodies.

14-Mar-18

15-Mar-18
The Sitka core lightweight crew and Kuiu Tiburon are both great for hot weather and don’t seem to smell. I sweat a lot so Merino is miserable for me.

15-Mar-18
I think merino has advantages as base layers in it covers a wider temperature "comfort" range. And the manly smell factor (even women smell like men after a while....) But it doesn't dry nearly as well as synthetics. I've had it stay damp for days when the synthetics have dried out practically overnight (sweaty humid wet weather) For some not as comfortable. One reason I tend to prefer synthetic "second" layers over merino. The heavier material needed for a second layer is harder to dry out, needs every bit of help it can get.....

15-Mar-18
I really like the light Kuiu 1/4 zips, an excellent piece for a variety of conditions. I have a fair bit of First Light - good stuff but last I looked (and it has been a while) they did not have a light 1/4 zip option to compete with Kuiu.

15-Mar-18
The Kuiu merino from a few years ago was a lot softer than their current merino material. The current merino seems itchy to me, unlike most everybody else's merino. As others have said the First Lite is softer. This is important for a base layer that you'll be wearing for days at a time. Also, the First Lite is cheaper now that they have gone to direct sales from their website. The only time that I would recommend the Kuiu merino is if you are hunting in the very early season because the Kuiu material seems thinner (especially the 125 weight) than everybody else's. Be careful also because it is so thin that you can get a burn through it if you're glassing for a long time on a clear sunny day. If you aren't hunting in the very early season I'd suggest First Lite.

15-Mar-18
KUIU Merino can't hold a candle to First Lite Merino. Yes, I've had both, absolutely no comparison.

15-Mar-18
Love the 1/4 zip Kuiu merino. Love the 1/4 zip down vest which I use a lot.Folds into mere inches yet warm as heck.Always in my pack along with their C rain jacket. Down jacket so-so and was a little 'small'.

15-Mar-18
Sorry,shirt not 'vest'.

15-Mar-18
Why does first lite have absolutely no product for sale other than a small for all merino shirts and just about all other clothing as well... this has been the case for several weeks now. Am I missing something? Are they just running a seasonal business?

15-Mar-18
Mike, they clearanced everything out 60 days ago. I assume all the new stuff is coming out soon.

15-Mar-18
I spoke with First Lite a few weeks ago regarding their merino wool shirts.

They have/are clearing out the current inventory of 100% mw shirts. The new models will have a small % of material woven in to keep shape/reduce stretching. Pre-sale orders should be available in March (per FL). I'm buying the Charma this Christmas season for my own X-mas gift.

15-Mar-18
Update from First Lite: The new model Merino Wool shirts will be available for pre-order on 28 March.

15-Mar-18
I recently started wearing KUIU clothing products. I contacted their CS Dept and explained my needs. They were most helpful in recommending the proper clothing items.

I was able to find several of the items they recommended on "outlet" section. I also found some great deals on KUIU clothing on AT.

I also spent time at their booth at DSC convention and they were also most helpful with explaining their clothing line and giving insite to some of their future clothing items. Overall found them to be good folks, knowledgeable of their product and helpful to meeting customer needs.

15-Mar-18
145 long sleeved zip T.....I've worn the same one for as long as 10 days straight on sheep hunts....incredible.

Mark

16-Mar-18
I much prefer the Penelton, as the merino wool irritates my skin.

16-Mar-18
I don't like the 90-100% merino. I sweat and it stays wet "forever". Much prefer the Paradox (COSTCO) zip neck tees with a bit of merino mixed into poly and treated so it doesn't stink. Way tougher, way faster drying and way cheaper than the Kuiu Merino in my experience, but not camo. The Cableas Microtex shirts (like TD...Outfitter Camo) are great too, two shirt pockets for your rangefinder and phone, tough as heck, cut the wind and breath decently...for a fair price.

17-Mar-18
Kuiu Krap

• Sitka Gear