kota-man 24-Mar-18
WV Mountaineer 25-Mar-18
TD 27-Mar-18
Chasewild 28-Mar-18
kota-man 28-Mar-18
Boris 29-Mar-18
longsprings 06-Jun-18
19-Mar-18
Looking for a quality long 20 degree sleeping bag. 6' 4" 200 lb. Want it to be packable , warm , durable.

19-Mar-18
Check out the Feathered Friends Swallow Nano 20 degree bag. The reviews are just as good if not better than the Western Mountaineering bags.

19-Mar-18
Thanks will look into them

19-Mar-18
Western mountaineering bags are top notch.

I have a 15 degree. I’m toasty warm sleeping in it in single digits

19-Mar-18
Ermine +2= I have a 15 deg WM bag. I would rather have to unzip a bag to cool down vs freeze my @ss off.

19-Mar-18
I’ve been very pleased wirh my Marmot Helium for several years. But lots of good options as mentioned above among others.

—jim

19-Mar-18

IdyllwildArcher's Link
You can get these in any width or length you want. It's actually a quilt and it's treated down with straps that go under your air mattress. It's one of the lightest options you'll find for a 20 degree bag if you're looking for something packable. If you're looking for something for base camp, I'd go with JTreeman's recommendation.

19-Mar-18
Another vote for Marmot Helium(15 degrees). Packs to the size of a loaf of bread. However, mine is older 900 ct goose down which packs better than today's available 850 ct.

20-Mar-18
Great info thanks very much

20-Mar-18

Nick Muche's Link
I prefer to use my Kifaru Slick bag about 90% of the time. Many nights in this bag and zero complaints of ever being cold or issues with it's durability. Also, it's very nice to wake up dry each morning if you go to bed with damp clothing.

20-Mar-18
I wouldn't consider the Marmot Helium a base camp bag. It's a mummy style and weighs in at just over 2 lbs.

20-Mar-18
Had the Slick bag 0 degree delivered last week looks and feels nice ,I also have a Helium bag as well but the next Alaska trip with chances of wet weather I feel better with the Slick.

20-Mar-18
I made the switch to a EE quilt last year and couldn't be happier. Lightest weight/warmth ratio and far better than a mummy style bag for a side sleeper that tosses and turns. It did take a few nights of getting used to it, but I love it now.

20-Mar-18
Thanks again for all the info, very much agree the mummy bag des not work for me as it is way to restrictive for a side sleeper and a leg toss every once in a while

20-Mar-18
I've been very happy with my Montbell for a number of years. May be worth a look if you are a restless sleeper, they have stretch and give built into the bag.

20-Mar-18

Rut Nut's Link
Here are some reasonably priced alternatives. I found them yesterday while looking for other items. Seem to have good reviews on Amazon.

20-Mar-18
"I made the switch to a EE quilt last year and couldn't be happier. Lightest weight/warmth ratio and far better than a mummy style bag for a side sleeper that tosses and turns. It did take a few nights of getting used to it, but I love it now."

This is the exact route I went and I am digging it! I wouldn't want to try a 20 degree night in my 20 degree quilt however but that is pretty standard that they are rated to survive at that temperature not thrive! I have taken mine to freezing and was just a wee bit cold. I will likely get a 0 degree for colder weather. I have the Enigma and would stick with that model.

20-Mar-18
I'm 6'4"...but have about 30-40 pounds on ya.

I like the Montbell Stretch bags...and have the down and Syn versions [i end up using the syn the most] Excellent quality, and the stretch makes it more comfortable for a big guy.

22-Mar-18
I have a 6'6" Western Mountaineering bag. Yes, they are costly, $500.00, but in my opinion the best hunting investment I have ever made. Filled with 850 goose down, warm, durable, and super light. My bag weighs 1lb 14 oz. and I have used it in Wyoming, Arizona, Colorado and Idaho in all kinds of adverse weather, absolutely love it.

22-Mar-18
Still in my Slumberjack. Warm and comfy.

23-Mar-18
I think I got a sleeping bag from Menards awhile back.... Seems to do the trick. HAHA

23-Mar-18
Western Mountaineering, if money is no object and you're looking for ultralight and the most packable. Big Agnes are great too and most of their models have a sleeved bottom design for your air pad so you don't slide around during the night. But they are also just about as expensive as the WM's.

24-Mar-18
I got a REI magna 10 last year as it was the best deal available. Use the 20% member discount good til 4/9. I had used a sub kilo forever but sleep a little cold in it, and was time to upgrade for Alaska weather.

Haven't tried a quilt yet but looked into it- it's a different sleep system, you need to incorporate wearing a jacket, beanie etc. it will save space and weight. Need an excellent insulated pad.

24-Mar-18
Am I the only one that is still infatuated with my Big Agnes bags? Busta Ribs turned me onto them years ago. I like them so much that I sometimes set up one of them in the backyard and go to sleep, convincing myself that the air traffic going into and out of NYC are really elk bugles in the Gila.....my bow is usually next to me to add realism to my cruel charade......

Love my BA bags. SO roomy

24-Mar-18
You may want to re-consider 20 degree rating? Some bags are rated a little cooler than what's true in the field. I'm pretty "cold blooded" and use a 0 degree bag even in the summer in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska. If it's warm out I have the option of opening the bag or sleeping on top. If cold you can be somewhat screwed with a light bag but it's possible to layer up at night if it's super cold. A lot depends whether you are cold or warm blooded in a bag.

If you plan on hunting in wet areas you may want to consider a bag with weatherproof/waterproof outer and an excellent quality dry bag. I've used a down bag in wet weather for years due to it's compactness and light weight. It has a weatherproof outer plus I store it in a dry bag during the day (don't take any chances).

It's tough to beat Western Mountaineering. Other brands listed above are also good. I'd be sure to check out internet reviews.

24-Mar-18
I have a nemo bag that I really like. Its a bit heavier due to the rectangle construction but it allows me to toss and turn without restriction. I have heard good things about WM and feathered friends.

24-Mar-18
When I’m not using my Slick bag, I’m using one of my Big Agnes bags. I love the BA concept, but you do need to buy a lower temp rating than you need. I also have a WM Sequoia, though it is a bit bulky for the back country it is a great bag.

25-Mar-18
I use my apex insulated self made quilts. Not sure what to tell you on a bag other then if I were you, given the advice you've been given about bags options, I'd go with the Kifaru due to it being a synthetic. Because I heard Nick say that a couple years ago and tried it. No more hanging wet clothes up only to wake up to cold and frozen clothes. I just wrap my quilts around me and wake up dry. That's nice man. God Bless

27-Mar-18
Kota..... you only have 3 sleeping bags???? =D

28-Mar-18
Another vote for WM -- I have the apache at 15 degrees. I was tired of using my 10 year old Mountain Hardware phantom. Bought a WM and I kid you not, I look forward to sleeping in that thing. Some other bags mentioned here use a DWR coating that will quickly wear off. The WM bags use a microfiber with an extremely tight weave that does the same thing without wearing out. It's also why WM bags look new after a decade.

The other bag I looked at was the Rab Neutrino. THey produce exceptional stuff and they use a pertex endurance fabric for water resistance. They are still pricey, but less so than the WM bags.

28-Mar-18
Actually...no...(5). If Zackman wasn’t always borrowing one, I’d probably own less.

29-Mar-18
If you know anybody that is in Boy Scouts, try to get their catalog. They have good stuff at a good price.

06-Jun-18
Ok everyone, decision made got a big agnes whiskey park 0 degree sleepingbag, its great and very well made. I scm very satisfief with he bag. Thanks for all the great advice and duggestions.

Great site

• Sitka Gear