Cornpone 20-Mar-18
Kodiak 20-Mar-18
Glunt@work 20-Mar-18
Sling Shot 20-Mar-18
SoDakSooner 22-Mar-18
trkyslr 22-Mar-18
LINK 24-Mar-18
20-Mar-18
I am planning an archery elk hunt for 2020. It seems like Colorado season starts early. This year it starts on August 25th. It goes for two weeks and then the muzzleloader season runs for a week. Then it's archery until the 23rd of September. I don't want to hunt during the muzzleloader season so which week would be the best. I'm thinking either the second week or the last week. Which Week would you choose and why? All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

20-Mar-18
This subject comes up often. I've hunted CO during ML season twice and never seen one - only a ML bear hunter earlier.

Personally, I'd rather hunt the opener or second week. You hear more bugles last week, but they're harder to call in. First and second week are better for sitting wallows than later. My favorite time to call bulls is between 10th and the 17th for my style. Lots of guys do well on the opener calling in quiet bulls.

Why are you waiting so long to go? And if you have that much time to plan, why plan on CO OTC?

20-Mar-18
Colorado always starts the last weekend in August. This year will be the last early start. Next year, 2019, it will start on August 31 and it will begin its yearly one a day earlier start

Unless the next 5 Year Big Game Season Structure changes that

I’ve lost track how many elk we’ve killed the first couple weeks that never made a sound

20-Mar-18
Go hunting! The more time you spend in the field the more chance to kill an elk!

20-Mar-18
I too have only seen a couple ML hunter's. Depending on the area in the state you're hunting it could snow that last week. From my experience it shuts them up for a couple days. Not sure if the elk move out of my area or what the deal is but I wouldn't let ML season dictate on when you're going.

20-Mar-18

20-Mar-18
We hunt Colorado in the same spot year after year, the two weeks before ML. Last season for what ever reason bulls serenaded us half the night, and well into the morning. We have hunted during ML season with very few encounters with ML hunters.

20-Mar-18
I've killed 7 in 9 years by hunting the first week...treestand on waterholes. Sometimes I hear bugling, but not often. Two of them I bugled in, bushwhacked the others. I think the advantage of the first week is you're hunting "virgin" elk.

20-Mar-18
Yeah if you're not hunting water in the first week, you're most likely just crunching around flushing elk off the mountain.

IMO the 3rd week is best.

20-Mar-18
I think every week has a good balance of pluses and minuses. If your area doesn't get a lot of muzzleloader pressure, that may be the best week for a balance of calling in and hearing bulls.

20-Mar-18
Thanks for the help. I am thinking the second week may be the best for me. I am going guided and he will be taking out muzzleloader hunters the third week. I really like to hear some bugling and if their not cowed up, they might be callable.

22-Mar-18
The units we have hunted, the ML hunters are few and far between. We have seen them, but miles away(orange does stand out). We have hunted every week, and been in elk. Lately we have been doing the last week or 2nd to last week.

22-Mar-18
If you don’t have a top secret honeyhole don’t go while Muzzy season is in effect. I’d go the week prior to that. If you have a spot that the orange army won’t invade (honey hole) go the 14th-23rd or close to that.

24-Mar-18
This year I hunted starting the last few days of muzzle loader. I never once saw anyone carrying a smoke pole. The bulls would respond really well to locate bugles but if they ever figured out the “bull” was heading their direction they bugged out and left quickly. I think next time I’ll try the beginning of muzzy season to the end.

• Sitka Gear