Treeline 22-Mar-18
22-Mar-18

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
screen shot with no Internet
screen shot with no Internet
TopRut has added the fire history layer to all their Google Earth unit maps. Add their other layers, private/usfs/BLM/Indian/State/Wilderness/topo/ and roads, and you have a pretty darn good Internet Scouting system.

All of their layers are resident on your box so, if like me, you have a laptop that is always with you when you hunt, these layers work without any Internet service. The underlying SAT imagery will only be as good as your pc cache but everything else will be there. It's a pretty darn good setup, and it's FREE.

22-Mar-18
Great!

22-Mar-18
TopRut is a pretty damn good site. I use it a lot for research. Good info and the price is right!

22-Mar-18
Love top rut

22-Mar-18
So what do I learn by using fire history?

I’m a newb

Thanks!

22-Mar-18
You may have to un-install the unit/layers on GE and re-install from TopRut to get the update

22-Mar-18
Gaia, for your phone, by the way, also has layers for old fires. Useful. I like TopRut as well.

22-Mar-18
I deleted the file I originally had and just re-downloaded for the unit I plan to deer hunt this year. Fire history popped right up.

22-Mar-18
These are not dynamic layer services, they're provided as an all inclusive KMZ file, per hunt unit so you will need to download the new file for existing hunt units you may have. just do as yooper did.

22-Mar-18
Pyranna, old burns can be a big draw for animals as new growth in those areas makes good food!

• Sitka Gear