Moultrie Mobile
What happened to the supposed new Ulmer?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Bowfreak 26-Mar-18
njbuck 26-Mar-18
0hndycp 26-Mar-18
StickFlicker 26-Mar-18
Kurt 26-Mar-18
sdkhunter 26-Mar-18
Bowfreak 26-Mar-18
Mark Watkins 26-Mar-18
PECO 26-Mar-18
Ambush 26-Mar-18
Buglmin 26-Mar-18
Bowfreak 27-Mar-18
rgb 27-Mar-18
Shaft2Long 27-Mar-18
SBH 27-Mar-18
t-roy 27-Mar-18
Kurt 27-Mar-18
TD 27-Mar-18
Bowfreak 28-Mar-18
Kurt 28-Mar-18
Medicinemann 28-Mar-18
midwest 28-Mar-18
ELKMAN 28-Mar-18
Mark Watkins 28-Mar-18
Tilzbow 28-Mar-18
Willieboat 28-Mar-18
t-roy 28-Mar-18
StickFlicker 01-Apr-18
Inshart 01-Apr-18
ryanrc 01-Apr-18
Bowfreak 02-Apr-18
ELKMAN 02-Apr-18
Ucsdryder 22-Jun-18
Matt Palmquist 23-Jun-18
Ironbow 23-Jun-18
bowbender77 23-Jun-18
wildwilderness 23-Jun-18
Bowfreak 23-Jun-18
otcWill 23-Jun-18
Ucsdryder 23-Jun-18
carcus 24-Jun-18
Hawkeye 24-Jun-18
ELKMAN 24-Jun-18
Ucsdryder 24-Jun-18
Bowfreak 24-Jun-18
Ambush 24-Jun-18
12yards 24-Jun-18
12yards 24-Jun-18
Bowfreak 24-Jun-18
Bowfreak 24-Jun-18
ELKMAN 25-Jun-18
Bowfreak 25-Jun-18
Predeter 25-Jun-18
Shrewski 29-Jun-18
midwest 29-Jun-18
Shrewski 29-Jun-18
midwest 29-Jun-18
Hawkeye 29-Jun-18
Ucsdryder 29-Jun-18
HDE 29-Jun-18
ELKMAN 30-Jun-18
Bowfreak 30-Jun-18
Ucsdryder 30-Jun-18
t-roy 30-Jun-18
HDE 30-Jun-18
26-Mar-18
Prior to ATA there was scuttlebutt that the UImer Edge was going to be rebranded or released again. Does anyone know what happened or was this a rumor that was never true?

26-Mar-18
I had good success with them prior to the stop of production. I bought up a bunch of the packs when they were on sale. They fly amazing.

26-Mar-18
Also bought about a dozen packages when I heard they were discontinued due to patent issues.....would love to see them again. I’ve killed mountain goat, elk, deer, and antelope with them and never had anything but great results! Also for a guy with a 32” draw length it sure make tuning a hell of a lot easier!

26-Mar-18
I'll see Randy this weekend. I'll try to remember to ask him and see what he knows.

26-Mar-18
I've got some regular thread versions and some deep-6 threaded steel 125 gr UE around, some in the package. PM me if you are interested.

26-Mar-18
Yeah, it was patent infringement issues/concerns... Believe there are some BH's that are very similar - with set screw, similar blade deployment, etc...

I was going through an old archery tote last year and found 3 or 4 brand new packs of those initial ulmer edge heads - it was like Christmas in July....

26-Mar-18
The patent issue was with the Reign broadhead by EP Hunting.

26-Mar-18
They were/are a great head. Killed elk, turkeys a mountain caribou and whitetails with them. Not the biggest cutting surface but they kill quickly. Fly like darts

I really liked them for any mountain hunt due their aerodynamics in the wind.

Let us know what you find out Stick!

Mark

26-Mar-18
I thought the "Edge" was an approved version of the Rage? Maybe Randy had a failure and no longer endorses mechanicals?

26-Mar-18
Or maybe Randy, with his vast field experience, realizes mechanicals are a superior hunting tool and still uses them.

26-Mar-18
Randy still uses the heads he has, and he still has a bunch of them. I was surprised when I seen the damage they did to elk, especially head on!!

27-Mar-18
I would love to see someone work out the differences and release this head again.

27-Mar-18
Randy was on the Bowjunky podcast on 11/28/17 and mentioned that the Edge broadhead would be returning to the market soon. He didn't really provide any detail, but said that only a little patience would be required.

27-Mar-18
Well, if they do come out again I hope they are sharp. I looked at a couple packs when they first hit the store and those things were really dull.

27-Mar-18
During a podcast recently.......Randy said they were coming back under a new name but he couldn't disclose any information other then they would be back, and re branded.

27-Mar-18
That was my thought too, shaft2long. They are single bevel, but I thought they could be sharper. They fly great and I killed a couple of does with them.

27-Mar-18
Shot a Roosevelt elk, a grizzly, a blacktail, a couple whitetails and black bears with them. I don't like two blade heads as well as 3 or 4 blade heads, but the Ulmer Edges worked fine and flew perfectly.

27-Mar-18
I thought it was his brother's head/company, not Randy's?

28-Mar-18
It was TD but Randy of course shot them.

28-Mar-18
1-1/2" wide when open, pivoting blades that lock into each other when activated, single bevel grind on the blades that are held closed with a rubber band. Tip is steel and well shaped. Regular thread version 100 gr had an aluminum body. Deep-6 threaded is one piece steel (at least in the 125 gr version).

The Ulmer Edge has no blade protrusion from the body when closed, and the "activation" tabs on the front of the blades are very small, resulting in the broadhead really flying like a field point. They were packaged with an extra screw that could be installed to totally lock the blades closed for practice. So all in all a unique design that didn't have a lot in common with the Rage.

28-Mar-18
.....just remember to loosen/unscrew the set screw after target practice and before you go hunting. I know someone that forgot, and shot a nice buck with the equivalent of a target tip......

28-Mar-18
Jake, Did he recover the deer?

28-Mar-18
Biggest piece of junk we ever tested. One season, 2 train wrecks on perfect shots, and done. (Original first year version)

28-Mar-18
I never had any issues with them.

The early versions were not very sharp.

Would carry two in my quiver on mountain hunts for "longer shots" in windy conditions.

The other benefit that I found on remote mountain hunts (many miles from the truck) is the daily abuse and beating that a bow takes in the rocks, scree, snow (and a few falls). IF your bow comes out of tune (and you are like me and have limited skills to re tune in a remote setting) because of this abuse, these heads still fly like darts...allowing your hunt to continue.

Mark

28-Mar-18
Exactly what Mark wrote above; great option for mountain hunts. To expand on the sharpness issue, or lack thereof, I simply removed the blades, ran over a leather strop with Herb's Yellowstone compound and with a few strokes they'd shave hair. I used the 125 grain, non-Deep 6, stainless version and bought several packs when I heard they were discontinued. If I include those with the multiple packs of VPA heads, Slick Trick and German Kinetics I've got I'm sure I've got enough heads to last the rest of my life and probably another 20 years...

28-Mar-18
Great head... i have shot 6 deer with them over the last few years with them and those 6 deer haven't made it over 200 combined yards ;) !

28-Mar-18
Maybe it was the bow you were shooting, ELKMAN! ;-)

01-Apr-18
I spoke with Randy yesterday. He said that Easton bought the broadhead, and they will introduce their sleeker and more professionally manufactured version of it before the fall hunts.

01-Apr-18
Agree with shaft2long - mine were also dull out of the package - threw them away.

01-Apr-18
Great news. I love those things.

02-Apr-18
That is good news. Thanks Stickflicker.

02-Apr-18
t-roy_- Of course it wasn't me shooting them, but I was there and involved unfortunately. (I only shoot one head period)

22-Jun-18

Ucsdryder's Link
Here’s the new head. Website says sevr, shipping address is to Easton. Randy ulmer has a short video on the site and states they are an improved head over the ulmer edge. 100 grain only is a deal killer for many, including myself.

23-Jun-18
Look pretty great to me! The practice ability is what most mechanical heads lack.

23-Jun-18
Randy has written a lot about using 125 grain heads. Says that is what he uses. So why no 125 grain model?

23-Jun-18
Follow the money.

23-Jun-18
I bet there will be. 125gr model depending on sales. May take a year or two.

The other option is to add weight in the insert. A 50/75 gr brass insert on Axis arrows with the 100 gr head will be fine.

On the injexion size I put two inserts in for extra weight up front since there aren’t great options for 125 gr deep six

23-Jun-18
Just ordered a 7 pack. They are backordered.

23-Jun-18
Original was my favorite mech. I'll be putting in a bulk order. Great head

23-Jun-18
They aren’t backordered. They are pre-orders. If they had a 125 option I’d be in.

24-Jun-18
The blades are too close to the tip, tip ain't long enough, this could mean deflection issues, im out, the original had a longer tip!

24-Jun-18
I really liked the original. These look great. Are they still single bevel?

24-Jun-18
Blades are waaay to close to the tip, and the blade angle is to steep. Another swing and a miss...

24-Jun-18
Elkman the blade angle looks very similar to the rage. Do you think rages are also a swing and a miss? ;)

24-Jun-18
Ucs,

My receipt says backordered so I guess it's semantics.

24-Jun-18
I really like the look of the point on this head. But I'm not a fan of the two blade and I'm already shooting the best broad head out there :-)

24-Jun-18
Seriously, does anybody know why they have to have such a flat blade angle? Why can't they be more swept back? All these rear deploy heads seem to be that way.

24-Jun-18
Double post for some reason.

24-Jun-18
I suspect the steeper blade angle allows them to use shorter blades and a shorter ferrule. This would mean better flight charachteristics and less likelihood to bend a ferrule.

24-Jun-18

25-Jun-18
Mine aren't...

25-Jun-18
Email response from Sevr regarding ship dates:

"Thank you for contacting SEVR Broadheads.

The expected ship date the week of 7/23."

25-Jun-18
Ulmer was on South Cox's podcast and said 125gr heads would be coming next year.

29-Jun-18

Shrewski's Link
Here is my good deed for the day boys:

https://www.sevrbroadheads.com/mobile/

29-Jun-18
What't the good deed? Am I missing something?

29-Jun-18
The link to Ulmer’s new broadhead. I saw it has been released for sale.

29-Jun-18
Ok, gotcha. The link was posted above last week and looks like a few guys have ordered already. I think I'll hold out until a few guys test them.

Hawkeye, the picture looks like it's a double bevel.

29-Jun-18
Thanks Nick!

29-Jun-18
I emailed them asking about a couple of the concerns brought up...if a broken blade will cause the other blade to fold into the ferule and if the blades close to the point will cause deflection. I got an immediate response that said he got my email and would give me a detailed response next week. I’ll post up his response.

29-Jun-18
Not a thing wrong with the design of this broadhead.

30-Jun-18
Yeah there is...

30-Jun-18
Let's be honest Elkman, if it was a Rage you would be shouting praises. I'll shoot them and then form an opinion.

30-Jun-18
Elkman, reading between the lines I think you and I have a lot in common and would get along great in person, but your constant sh*# talking of every bow that isn’t a Hoyt and every Broadhead that isn’t a rage sure gets old. It makes me not want to purchase either. You can promote rage, but that doesn’t mean you have to put down every other mechanical. You can promote Hoyt without calling the competition gimmick bows. Not sure if I’m on an island here but it has the opposite effect for me. It makes me want to shoot anything and everything else!

30-Jun-18
Ucsdryder ....you’re definitely on an island.

Of course, Greenland is an island as well ;-)

30-Jun-18
"Yeah there is..."

Stop arguing with me son, it's getting old.

• Sitka Gear