Contributors to this thread:
PECO 26-Mar-18
HUNT MAN 26-Mar-18
jims 26-Mar-18
Drahthaar 26-Mar-18
PECO 26-Mar-18
PECO 26-Mar-18
26-Mar-18
I've been failing at making a box call. I am doing the hollow out the box method. They make noise when the paddle is swinging out, not in. What is my problem. I can not find any info on what is happening. Help please! I'm using Aspen which is in the same family as poplar for the box, and hickory for the paddle. I made 2 that work and sound OK. I have a pile that don't work.

26-Mar-18
Ghostbird is your man. He makes some amazing calls.

26-Mar-18
You might try the oldgobbler.com website. There are a lot of expert call makers on that website. If they don't know they may be able to point you in a direction.

26-Mar-18
It is the grain in your paddle, you can check it with a piece of cotton, drag it along the edge, if it does not grab the cotton it will no play. Forrest

26-Mar-18
I did the cotton test, seems to grab both ways. Paddle grain is vertical. The paddle works on a cheap production box. It makes noise swinging out, not in, backwards. I even used factory paddle and swung it from both ends of box. I have like 4 boxes that make noise when paddle swings out. completely backwards. I'll check out old gobbler in the meantime.

26-Mar-18
I did the cotton test, seems to grab both ways. Paddle grain is vertical. The paddle works on a cheap production box. It makes noise swinging out, not in, backwards. I even used factory paddle and swung it from both ends of box. I have like 4 boxes that make noise when paddle swings out. completely backwards. I'll check out old gobbler in the meantime.

• Sitka Gear