Rut Nut 28-Mar-18
Genesis 28-Mar-18
Fuzzy 28-Mar-18
RIT 28-Mar-18
bumpinblaze4x4 28-Mar-18
27-Mar-18

bumpinblaze4x4's embedded Photo
Like many of you i'm a huge whitetail hunter; i'm fortunate to be a co-owner (family) and hunt 700 acres of whitetail rich habitat in central illinois. We love to make shed hunting every spring a big family affair and now that i have a little one we do our best to include her in the outdoors and take her shed hunting with us. I wanted to share a few experiences that i encountered this year while shed hunting simply because i found them interesting and possibly something we can learn from.

1. I do a large amount of my shed hunting on foot and by myself (aside from my dog); whether or not anything can be learned from this experience i will leave up to you but i was unfortunate to suffer a severe head laceration on one of my adventures in early march. I've made it 34 years without ever needing stitches but managed to jump a creek and somehow (i still dont understand) run a down limb/log into my face/head. I ended up on my back, nearly entirely underwater in the creek with a "red curtain" being all that i could see. Looking back i think the cold water may have helped my mind state and possibly prevented my loss of consciousness. I was able to hike out the 500 yard walk to the Polaris Ranger and get to my vehicle; fortunately for good neighbors i was able to go next door and evaluate the damage. I ended up going to the emergency walk in clinic for 8 staples in my head but being the hardcore whtitetail hunter that i am; i went back out after the staples and found three more sheds!

What did i learn? Well, probably nothing honestly other than not to take the safety aspect of a simple hike for granted. I've never suffered a serious injury while hunting or hanging stands so i never thought my first injury on the property would be shed hunting. Although i didn't use it, i was glad i had my cell phone on me and from now on i give my wife hourly updates as to where i am on the farm.

2. Some of us have probably had the experience of running across dead (or live) bucks that have been locked up; it happens and unfortunately there is very little we can do about it. Two weeks ago i stumbled across two carcasses from mature, 4.5 year old bucks that i had at least a year or two of history with; i was bummed of course and hated to see a buck suffer this fate. While this isn't an anomaly in the fall; the crazy thing is that i had both of these bucks on trailcam in Mid december; it's hard for me to tell but it's even possible that the 8 point buck was on camera on January 9th!

What i learned: Anything can happen at any time and just because a buck made it through season doesn't guarantee he will make it until the next season.

I am always amazed at how nature continues to teach me year after year; whether it's getting schooled by mature whitetail, suffering an injury, or finding locked bucks in mid winter; weird things happen. Hope you can benefit from my story.

27-Mar-18

The following picture may not be suited for all.

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18
Cool story,is that 2 drops of fresh blood @ 6:00 in the photo?

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18
Damn that branch knocked your hair clean off!

27-Mar-18
Shed hunting is a dangerous hobby. In March of 2014 I was near the bottom of a ravine, made one wrong step and managed to break my leg with my own rear end. Still have the scar along with a plate and eight screws...but still love to head to the woods!

Also, I saw two very nice bucks going at it in early February this year. The bigger of two was definitely upset with the other buck. Heads were turning and dirt was flying. I thought for sure I'd get to see an antler pop off. Guess not all fights have to be over a girl during rut!

27-Mar-18
RIT... LMAO!

Bumpin.. glad you're okay partner. That was a doozy!

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18
Are you going to do a Bloodtrail Challenge?

27-Mar-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
That was cold, RIT! Funny, but cold. Glad you’re ok, bblaze.

It’s amazing how quick things can happen in the timber. Here’s a friend of mine after working on shooting lanes. Broke his nose when a branch sprang back and hit him. This is a prime example of improper pruning technique.

Jeff.....we’ll just have to stay up on the flats next time ;-)

27-Mar-18
All this blood and no meat in the freezer....Disgraceful !

Glad no eyes were lost in these escapades !

27-Mar-18
Haha, thanks guys. In regards to the blood in the photo with the locked bucks, yes that is fresh blood. My dog (Augie) cut his ear on a thorn and was leaving a nice trail throughout the timber.

I probably could've easily done a blood trail challenge but i moved very quickly once i got on my feet. I'm sure the blood trail would have been easier than some actual ones i've been one! There is still ample blood in the shop and on the ranger; it was pretty fierce. I was even wearing a had at the time but the log caught the bridge of my nose, forehead, and then sheared my scalp while nocking my hat off.

You know you have a good dog when after the fact someone asked how my dog reacted. I told them once it happened i never once looked at the dog. I walked as fast as i could to get out of the timber in case i passed out; he must've been by my side the whole time because he made it to the truck with me.

Glad some of you enjoyed my tales; it's sometimes the lesser moments that make it all worth while. I've got a damn nice scar to remind me of the accident and not exactly a thick head of hair to hide it!

Funny thing is that i'm a veterinarian and for 10 days i had clients asking what happened to me (they assumed it was work related, a horse, a cow, etc). I was told by many clients i needed to make up a better story about what really happened!

27-Mar-18
Tripped getting out of a coffin blind and did a face plant into a barbed wire fence this year. Pretty much resembled those pics.

27-Mar-18
Wow! I bet that did leave a mark! Glad it didn't stick ya in the eye..

27-Mar-18
I must admit...I started to get a "chubby" when I saw that gash. Shame that double split shed got chewed on.

27-Mar-18
Franklin: That shed is from the biggest buck on the farm; a mid 170's 5 year old. He was a half rack on new years eve and i found his left side on 1/9 (the big split G2 shed in the snow). It took me until last week to find his right side which was about 400 yards from the first side. Given the circumstances, that antler is in really good shape for sitting there over two months (likely)! It's a little chewed up but in overall pretty good shape!

27-Mar-18

zipper's embedded Photo
zipper's embedded Photo
It's always a bummer to find locked skulls. No matter how we manage the deer herd living on our ground nature takes what she wants.

28-Mar-18
Wow- those head/scalp wounds really bleed, don't they?! ;-)

That's really surprising to me that they apparently got locked AFTER the Rut???!!! I would assume that is very very rare!

28-Mar-18
Ok suspicion confirmed!

28-Mar-18

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Be careful guys. Or 54 years of hard knocks could leave you looking like this!

28-Mar-18
I like photo 8 when you stopped for a selfie with blood rushing down your face.

I did something similar when I dumped a tractor tire over onto a 2x6. The 2x6 shot straight at my head and caught me flush under the right eye opening up a nice gash and sending blood from my cheek to my belt.

I took a photo to see how bad it was as my eye swelled shut instantly.

28-Mar-18
RIT: I had to, why not right? In all honesty when it happened i was actually more frustrated because i was soaking wet and couldn't stay out there looking for sheds. I really had no idea the severity of the head injury until i made it to the neighbors and cleaned it up

• Sitka Gear