Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
Just wanted to share a few Vortex Broadheads elk harvests.

29-Mar-18
Not many pics, but LOTS of memories over the decades. VB's are awesome. A 2-3/4" slash through the vitals makes for rapid recoveries. One of our group switched to some "better flying" (tiny) broadheads, and his % of no recovery hits became more than annoying.

29-Mar-18

ColoBull's embedded Photo

29-Mar-18

I know - "which broadhead" is kinda like " what kind of beer", or "what kind of truck". I'm a "why switch if it's working" kind of guy

29-Mar-18

29-Mar-18
Which Vortex were they using? What poundage, and DL were they shooting? Did they get two holes?

29-Mar-18

29-Mar-18
Dooner, when I first started using them, I shot heavy arrows and high poundage bows. My current setup uses FMJ 340's with a 75gr. mini max. I blew through a broadside bull elk and found the arrow 20 yds. on the other side. I used to get to the fletching with an exit hole, but not a clean pass through on elk sized critters. My current combo seems to be the ticket.

30-Mar-18
Hunting Dad- thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions regarding your set-up. how heavy is your arrow? What is your bow poundage & draw length. Have you chronoed your arrows?

I have tried the 2" Killzone and wasn't that impressed with penetration. Matt is a buddy of mine, and I think the 2" Vortex may offer better penetration,-just not sure why.

30-Mar-18
"I have tried the 2" Killzone and wasn't that impressed with penetration" Yup!

30-Mar-18
Your issue with penetration with the Killzone is it's a deploy on contact broadhead. with those style heads you are giving up to much energy on the entrance side of the animal. with Vortex heads the broadhead has to travel the total length of the broadhead before it is completely deployed, this allows for more penetration and less energy wasted on hide and hard bone.

30-Mar-18
125g - 2 blades. 65-70 lb. 30" ACC's & FMJ's. Pass through's are rare. PM me if you have any old 125's you want to trade or whatever.

30-Mar-18
Dooner, my arrow & head weigh 440grs. @ 28.5'' I shoot 72 lbs. I get a consistant 285fps out of my Hoyt. Since I went to the FMJ, the opposite shoulder is the only thing that prevents a pass through.

31-Mar-18
The 2-3/4" wound channel appears to make the need for a pass through rather moot.

31-Mar-18
My DL= 27". Arrow & Head= 475gr. I get about 260-265fps out of my 70# Bowtech Experience. I've shot 2 large Mule Deer, and one Elk with the 2" Killzone. Admittedly, this group is a small sample size. However, I didn't get two holes on any of these animals, which is a concern for blood trailing. Both Mule Deer were quartering; one had the tip of the arrow barely poking out on the off side; the other was stopped by the offside humerus. Contrast that with another two Mule Deer shot with slick tricks, one traveling lengthwise through a hard quartering angle, the other breaking the offside humerus, both giving two holes with great blood trails. I like the concept of a 2" wound channel. I'll have to give the 2" Vortex a try on deer. I'm not sure a 70# 27" DL has the horsepower to give two holes with a 2" mechanical on elk. Using the formula for 1" DL ~ 10# DW, a 70# 30" DL delivers about the same horsepower as my 27" DL shooting a 100# compound. The 28.5" DL delivers equivalent to my 27" DL shooting a 85# compound. I'll probably stick to my Viper-tricks for Elk.

31-Mar-18

Coming soon.Vortex 125 grain all steel 2.0"

31-Mar-18

31-Mar-18
"Coming soon.Vortex 125 grain all steel 2.0""- That's great news. I think that's the one Matt is a big fan of. Glad you're bringing them back.

Nice Elk:-)

31-Mar-18
Matt turned me on to vortex years ago. Killed whitetail turkey and hogs with the pro extreme. When the steel 125 grain is available please let me know. I hope it's before September.

03-Apr-18
Yes it will be before September They should be available in 8-10 weeks.

03-Apr-18
That's great news. Vortex have been very productive for us over the decades. I'm down to about a half dozen ( 'been supplying for two boys, for too long...)

03-Apr-18
I’ll bite....

What keeps the blades from deploying on contact?

It sure does make more sense to have delayed deployment, just as it makes sense to use a controlled-expansion bullet instead of a varmint load....

03-Apr-18
Those who haven’t tried Vortex definitely should! Unfortunately I recently lost my phone and some of my pics but most of the animals in my profile (including the elk) were killed with Vortex Broadheads. I have no affiliation with the company itself but I know what I’ve used and what works! Due to the ease of opening, I’ve passed through bull elk at 40 yards. Vortex makes a great product and I’ll be using them for my 2018 antelope hunt for sure!

04-Apr-18

These just arrived!
These just arrived!
I had all but given up on finding any more of these. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I did . Like Chris, I have no affiliation - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

04-Apr-18
Azbugler,

What was your arrow and bow setup when you passed through the elk at 40 yards? These heads do penetrate well that's for sure.

04-Apr-18

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
Around 425 grains out of a 70 pound draw weight on a PSE Durango. Was finally able to pull the picture... He crashed within 50-60 yards.

05-Apr-18
AZ, what’s your DL?

05-Apr-18
Nice bull and definitely a positive for Vortex. A 425 gr arrow isn't even "elk heavy" and you got great penetration with a mechanical.

05-Apr-18
Dooner 29” draw length. Honestly I’ve passed through most animals I’ve shot with a Vortex. I had an arrow not pass through on my Kansas whitetail at 22 yards , but it split two ribs on the entrance side and one on the exit side. The buck went 20-30 yards and died within sight.

06-Apr-18
Yes of course we will have a Bowsite Promo code.

19-Apr-18
I got my son another 1/2 dozen. His response - "AWESOME!!!" He dropped his 1st elk, with a 2-3/4" 125, almost 15 years ago. Like me, he was beginning to worry about our dwindling supply.

20-Apr-18
Reconsidered. Probably inappropriate.

20-Apr-18
"with Vortex heads the broadhead has to travel the total length of the broadhead before it is completely deployed, this allows for more penetration and less energy wasted on hide and hard bone."

It appears these open the same as any other over the top opening head. The blades have to hinge open to full cutting width. I'd love to see some slow motion impacts that show these opening. Not knocking the head at all, just trying to see the difference.

Looks like a good head and I can't argue with the results. The 125gr steel version is of interest to me. I wouldn't mind trying a few out in Africa in June if I can get them.

20-Apr-18
The "less energy wasted on hide..." part is unclear to me as well. The blades become fully deployed as they are passing into the hide. There is a (2-3/4") cut through the hide at the entrance. Sometimes the blades get bent. Sometimes the (folded) blade channel of the (aluminum) head is damaged. Sometimes they are damaged beyond re-use. 'Haven't seen a blade snap off, yet, but I suppose it's a possibility. In my mind ( & our experience) they should be adequate for anything smaller than a bull elk. To be clear, I'm just sharing our experience with these - 'not saying they are the "best". Good luck!

25-Apr-18

HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
320 bull. Used a 100 grain 2 inch cut. Heart shot traveled 5 steps.
320 bull. Used a 100 grain 2 inch cut. Heart shot traveled 5 steps.
Here is another Vortex Elk Kill. WE generally do not recommend the Vortex 2-1/2 or the Vortex 2-3/4 for elk. But my past experience by listening to hunter since 1988 shows they will work, IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH K. Remember back in the day when the first and only Vortex broadhead that was available was a 2-3/4" cutter. Now remember in those times if you had 55 pounds of Kinetic energy you had a lot.... and they worked then! My suggestion would be to use the 2 inch cutters, now if you happen to have a lot of Kinetic energy use the big cutters. Especially if you are shooting a horizontal bow.

13-May-18

Here is another pic.

13-May-18
Can these be bought in stores. I will be in Whiteriver,Arizona area in june. Does timber mesa archery in Show low have them.

13-May-18
What might be hard to show photos of are the bulls that are not recovered. I have no experience with elk neck shots but wonder about an expandable going through the thick neck hide.

13-May-18
I had a neighbor that worked at the Air Force Academy from the 50's to the 70's. Every fall he had to go around and "put down" deer that were still running around with arrows sticking in them. That was well before mechanical's became popular, so many - if not most - must have been fixed blades. He never showed me pictures, but I believed him. I suspect the same would be true for Bull elk. I don't know anyone who prefers a neck shot.

18-May-18

Two inch 75 grain Vortex.
Two inch 75 grain Vortex.
Boris, You can purchase them on line at vortexbroadheads.com If you are planning using them for elk I personally would stay with the smaller 2 inch cut. For deer size animals or bears I would recommend any of them.

18-May-18

Another Elk photo.

18-May-18
Still waiting on an answer to the "less energy wasted on hide" statement.

18-May-18
When the full deployed width isn't going through hair and hide as with the rear deployment style of MBHs, less energy is used.

19-May-18
My reference to MBH's with rear deployment include Rage and NAP Killzone, where the blades fully deploy at the onset of penetration so the full cutting diameter is pushing through the hair and hide. Vortex do not work in that manner.

19-May-18
I use Magnus stingers. 540 gr total arrow weight. Two years ago I had a pass thru on a shoulder blade, broke it. All be it i was 25 yds broadside, but full pass thru on the opposite shoulder blade. Last year 25 yds broadside, i was twisted up across my body facing uphill and make a shit shot, on a big bull. I shot him in the ass dead center, tracked him 4 miles.... I know (think with strong regard) that a expandable would have not killed him, but could have. I will never shot anything else ever. Too many variables with an expandable.

However what your using works for you. Nice animals!!!!

19-May-18
Did you kill him? Don't know what that's got to do with this thread. I just don't want to be left hanging either. :^)

20-May-18

Remember NOT ALL EXPANDABLE ARE CREATED EQUAL. It is hard to argue with a broadhead (Vortex) that has been harvesting animals of all kinds since 1988, not to include two years of testing on animals prior to them hitting the market on May 2, 1988.

03-Jun-18

Found another Vortex broadhead Elk kill. Man only 3-1/2 months till it starts cooling down and the Elk start Rutting. Man I hate summer in Southern Arizona.

• Sitka Gear