Brotsky 30-Mar-18
TD 30-Mar-18
MarkU 30-Mar-18
Will 30-Mar-18
midwest 31-Mar-18
Ogoki 31-Mar-18
Jaquomo 31-Mar-18
29-Mar-18
I don't agree to it. Never have and don't plan on ever doing it.

I just trust you though Pat. Maybe misguided. ;^)

29-Mar-18
I'm insulted that you find me not interesting enough to collect data on me!

29-Mar-18
This is my only social media. I don't play facespace or any of that other garbage

29-Mar-18
I am glad that you do not know how much time I spend in corn fields.

29-Mar-18
But nobody here follows me or likes me :)

29-Mar-18
Haha, "Fish on", Pat...I got that "oh crap" feeling for a second...

29-Mar-18
Yeah,but I've seen the guy ask some pretty pointed questions about whiteail spots late in the meet and greet......attendees beware!

29-Mar-18
"......Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. "

Nope, nope, and......nope. Being an old fart Luddite has it's advantages I guess!

29-Mar-18
An old girlfriend tracked me down through Bowsite, so I guess we're not safe anywhere..

29-Mar-18
LOL@Ned.

Common sense will save you from about 99% of potential dangers on the internet. I don't whether to be happy or sad that it is so easy to "dupe" so many people these days. Sad for humanity, but happy that the scammers don't need to come up with legitimately good scams, so people with common sense can still see them coming.

29-Mar-18
Google does the same thing if you let them. You can log into your google account (everyone that has a youtube login has a google account) and download the "File" they have on you. This includes browser history, passwords if you save them, searches, pictures, contacts, calendars, etc. and it goes back to at least 2009. I only say 2009 because that's how far back mine went. I went ad opted out of all algorithm crap they say will improve your "experience" whatever that means. It's scary stuff what these companies collect on a person.

29-Mar-18
"An old girlfriend tracked me down through Bowsite, so I guess we're not safe anywhere.."

We talkin' your safety or hers? :^)

29-Mar-18
They were talking about that on the national news last night. The agreement & what they get from people that use Candy Crush was 34 pages long when printed out. Starbucks goes even further, they get your contact lists, GPS data from your phone. If you buy a gift card with their app & give it to someone, they get their contacts as well. Pretty scary stuff. Glad I'm not on any of that crap.

29-Mar-18
I facebook, almost as much as I leatherwall and bowsite. I also smart phone. I don't care who collects data on me. You can't hide. Pat may not be collecting your data, but your internet browser is.

P.S. Trolling on fb is super fun.

29-Mar-18
I only do a few chat forums. No social media otherwise.

29-Mar-18
Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram ?????What’s that?

29-Mar-18
Sooooo..... along with the black vans that normally follow me around it's a camo truck now too????

29-Mar-18
TD,

You're safe if you wear the tin foil hat while out N about!

29-Mar-18
So, how, exactly, do you check your "file" on Google? Or elsewhere? Any links?

29-Mar-18
Lol Lou!

29-Mar-18
@Deertick, www.google.com/takeout You need to be logged into your google account.

29-Mar-18
No Faceplant here either.

29-Mar-18
Don't do Faceplant, twitter or instagram.........................

29-Mar-18
Facebook is going to be a fad, I think I have been here since inception.

29-Mar-18
Facebook, twitter, instagram are not now or were they ever something I'm interested in. However, you can google damn near anything bowhunting and find something on bowsite about it. Not our important private info, but whether you like crossbows, prefer hang-ons or ground blinds, if you fling your buddy's Hootchie Mama into the rocks, if you like to shoot yotes in the face, if you perforate geese with a bow, how to mount an animal so that it looks life-like, or the last time you hunted in Africa. Them snooping bastards probably ain't interested in the finer things in social media though.... :-)

29-Mar-18
@Pat.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your comment at the start of this thread. Bowsite requires quite a bit of personal (PII) data just to register and post on the forum. I see most if not all of the people replying about how bad social media companies are have been more than happy to give Bowsite their personal data to join the discussions here. It is plainly visible when I click on everyone's profile name. How is that any different than using Facebook? Because Pat and Bowsite isn't selling your info? I guarantee that the same companies scraping personal data off of Facebook for profit are also scraping from any and all websites they can find on the internet to build profiles on each and every one of us. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply not aware of what is possible on the internet.

29-Mar-18
All you need is a "Hecs" suit and they can't get a thing on ya!

29-Mar-18
I was briefly the Vice President of the company that makes the software used by cable companies, satellite companies, etc.. to track individual viewer's habits.

Every TV box has an IP address registered to you. Content providers track every remote click, what programs you watch, when, for how long, what ads you watch or click through.

Doesn't take much imagination to figure out what they can do with this information. The same info is gathered when you stream through the internet. There is virtually no privacy anymore In our lives unless you don't have a cell phone, don't go online (hello!), only watch off-air TV.

That cool little flashlight app on your phone? It's an activity tracking bug that you allow to be placed into your phone in exchange for getting the "free" app.

29-Mar-18
I was tracked by a sow grizzly and two cubs last fall elk hunting.

Even bears want to know what I've been doing.

29-Mar-18
Nobody really cares as most of us are “deplorables”.

29-Mar-18
Late night once there was a joke about You tube, Twitter and Facebook combining forces in a new merger.

Its called YouTwit Face

Sorry don't remember who said it.

29-Mar-18
I watched an interesting BBC documentary last August on a flight to RSA. The documentary was about how FB sold data to both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party for $250M per party. The political parties used this data in contacting people for presidential voting.

I'm loving how the "Z Man" has suddenly forgotten about the $500M he made off of the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign and thinks something should be done to control data sales. However, $500M to FB may just be "Pelosi chump change."

I

29-Mar-18
Pat,

I pretty much knew that because I know you and trust your integrity and your ethics.

I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram nor any of those other social media sites, because, .....why in heck would I want to?

Kyle

29-Mar-18
True story... I actually posted this on Facebook. During the past Winter Olympics I watched curling for 5 minutes. My phone was on the table. I looked at Facebook minutes later and found an add for curling lessons...I assume Facebook was listening through my phone. Is that a possibility?

29-Mar-18
I’m kind of hurt Pat! ;-)

29-Mar-18
I FB and IG. It's how I stay connected with my classmates, lots of family, old friends, BB photos, groups of similar interests, hunting products and personalities, fitness products and personalities. I really don't care if "they" collect my info. Everyone has tons of info collected electronically whether they participate in the social media arena or not. Hell, my paycheck is electronic now days!

29-Mar-18
I often look for people (family members) for historical research. If I have a name and/or state I can often find them and their relatives. It's fairly easy with a few search websites out there. I just looked up someone's profile who posted on this thread and found them, their address, ph number, family members, pics, etc. Point being....it doesn't take much hard or soft PII to find and/or locate someone these days. There are ways to get rid of your PII that is out there.

The following data, often used for the express purpose of distinguishing individual identity, clearly classify as PII under the definition used by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (described in detail below):[15] Full name (if not common) Face (sometimes) Home address Email address (if private from an association/club membership, etc.) National identification number Passport number Vehicle registration plate number Driver's license number Face, fingerprints, or handwriting Credit card numbers Digital identity Date of birth Birthplace Genetic information Telephone number Login name, screen name, nickname, or handle

The following are less often used to distinguish individual identity, because they are traits shared by many people. However, they are potentially PII, because they may be combined with other personal information to identify an individual. First or last name, if common Country, state, postcode or city of residence Age, especially if non-specific Gender or race Name of the school they attend or workplace Grades, salary, or job position Criminal record Web cookie[16]

29-Mar-18
X2 Midwest - I have FB and IG

I have a huge extended family, spread all over the world at times. I like to stay connected to them.

I could care less too. Hell, you see those cameras on the stoplights at every intersection? What the hell you think they are doing?

You want to stay at home and wrap yourself in tin foil? The 'NIKE' motto is for you

29-Mar-18
Agree with Midwest

30-Mar-18
I use FB and IG. Best decision I’ve made in a while. You wouldn’t believe how many fewer “ so whatcha been up to” calls/texts I get from extended family or acquaintances so long as I post the occasional adventure or picture on there. It’s entertaining to me at times as well when I’m bored.

One generation thumbs through magazines, and vegges out watching Fox News for an hour. I just prefer my content on a digital platform and I stay away from any news channel as best I can. Life is better this way :)

30-Mar-18
As far as what Bowsite collects from me, I'd say it's my time. But at least it's my choice.

As far as FB et al, I'm on FB, but it's just to stay connected to, and see what what my grandpa and cousins are up to. That and to see BB's most recent photographs.

30-Mar-18
I am only on the internet once a day in the early morning hours (0300 MST)

Never have been on FB or any of the others.

Not enough time in the day to waste sitting on my azzz doing nothing on the internet.

Good luck, Robb

30-Mar-18
WTH is a "PILL"????

30-Mar-18
In response to Shugs post, this happens all the time with my wife's Iphone... She was riding in her car with my 19 yo son who is currently a life guard. They were discussing CPR techniques and his recent training. 5 minutes later she logs into FB and there are CPR class ads popping on her page. A week later, she and I were eating dinner at the table, her phone is laying next her (on- not "opened") we were talking about the roller coaster stock market, how our investments are doing, etc. A few minutes later she "opens" her phone, logs in FB and of course, numerous financial planning company ads are showing up! This has never happened on my android, but is quite regular on her iphone, so yes, big brother is listening 24/7

30-Mar-18
Pat, look at the bright side. If all this personal data wasn't being collected and sold, Hillary would most likely be your president.

30-Mar-18
What Jethro said. Sometimes one has to throw a bone to the data analytics machine to get them off your trail like - Guns and bows are bad, Ban hunting, Nancy Pelosi for President lol. Beware of the cookies.

30-Mar-18
LMAO at MarkU and Tonybear!

30-Mar-18
"An old girlfriend tracked me down through Bowsite, so I guess we're not safe anywhere.. "

.. .. ..

.. .. . .

Jaquomo, it probably had something to do with that one X Ray photo you posted . . . .

30-Mar-18
I'm just on FB and IG so I can see what EmbryOklahoma's dog is up to. :)

30-Mar-18
Tater is an internet sensation!

30-Mar-18
""WTH is a "PILL"????""

Woods.....it's Personally Identifiable Information...or some variant of that depending on where you look. It comes in different "strengths" if you will. If someone is looking for you....these little e-bread crumbs collected and combined can paint a picture of you and your family. We use to get alot of training on that in the CG.

Cookies leaves an e-trail.....so does something as simple as your screen name if you use the same one of different hunting websites. I looked at someone else posting here and seen the other websites they post on. I mix mine up just for that reason. However is it a big deal?....only if you want to keep a low profile. Some employers will e-sniff around to see what you have out there as part of routine background checks.

30-Mar-18
I'm going to turn my tv to the finance channel and then go hunting. maybe they will send me some money.

30-Mar-18
Thanks JL. I don't speak computereze!

30-Mar-18
I guarantee you people would learn more about me through bowsite than anywhere else short of knowing me in person. I’m not that naive to think that data isn’t being mined all over the flipping place. I’m also not that narcissistic to think that anyone would care lol. Yes, I’m sure someone could look through the camera on my iPhone but if the inside of my pocket and my nightstand up against one camera or my ceiling in the pitch black of night is that interesting for them to watch they can knock theirselves out.

30-Mar-18
Even Mark Zuckerberg admits he puts tape over the camera on his laptops.

True story: A guy I used to work with got a new job at a different big Silicon Valley tech company. Like me, he worked from home when he wasn't on an airplane. The company had a meeting with his department and the remote people logged in via a web link. What he didn't know was that the people in the auditorium could see streaming thumbnails of the remote "Lone Wolves" up on a screen on the side of the auditorium.

So this guy is making faces at the speakers, mocking them, mooning them, bouncing around in his underwear and dancing to his iPod. I think he may have been drinking a beer in late morning too. Anyway, he gets a phone call...... Then he was looking for a new job.... I also had a couple friends who were in the auditorium and said everyone was laughing until they turned his camera stream off.

30-Mar-18

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Brotsky, Midwest... :)

30-Mar-18
Rick LOL

30-Mar-18
Just Tater out hiding Easter eggs again :)

30-Mar-18
Oh...... he's a pointer.....

30-Mar-18
You guys with iPads better be careful. Say your talking to a buddy with your wife's iPhone on the table, and you talk about how great the sex was with your wife's sister and next thing you know she opens her face thing and gets all these adds for illicit dating or even polygamy, if you're in Utah.

30-Mar-18
That's cool Pat - and up front of you to let "us" know "you have nothing" on us.

Especially that you dont have a log of our hours on here...

31-Mar-18
Great job, Tater!

31-Mar-18
I don't do any business over the net . Charge card numbers , banking , nothing. I looked up truck canoe racks and the web sites i looked at popped up on the weather station i view. Must be tracking me. Looked at a health care web site . Got over 15 emails the next 2 days from various companies . Did not give my email address . Just looked at site briefly. I am don't trust being online for much . Guess I am old school.

31-Mar-18
I do everything over the web - shopping, banking, auto bill paying. Have never had an issue after logging into a secure site. Both instances of credit card fraud happened after in-person transactions where the clerks took my CC number and started charging stuff.

It's random internet browsing on open or unsecured sites where your personal interests and habits are tracked and sorted. Some database somewhere knows that every one of us is a bowhunter and likely knows more about our personal wants and habits than our wives and family.

I read a great line the other day from a data analyst. He said people mistakenly assume they are "customers" or "users" of Facebook. In reality, everyone on there is a "product" from whom Facebook harvests as much data as possible to sell.

• Sitka Gear