Charlie Rehor 27-Nov-18
Bowfreak 27-Nov-18
Mathewshootrphone 28-Nov-18
31-Mar-18

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
We're happy to announce the all steel Vortex 125 grain 2.0 will be available soon.

01-Apr-18
Great news. This is a broadhead that was ahead of its time in terms of the steel ferrule and Vortex "package" which I think provides some great benefits with the sharpened blade tips/actuation.

01-Apr-18
I would love to see this head with a rage hypodermic type tip on it.

01-Apr-18
What about quartering away or quartering to shots?

I love these shots and I am curious what testing throughout the years has shown with this style head.

For the record, this head has my attention.

01-Apr-18
I have taken some extreme quartering shots and have not had any "kick offs". The 2" solids had the blades set back a little farther from the tip, allowing the tip to engage before the blades touched. Still, regardless of the model, no deflections.

01-Apr-18
How soon before these heads are available?

01-Apr-18
Good Lord that's impressive!

01-Apr-18
Very nice. Im a fan of that head.

01-Apr-18
I've never had an issue with any shot angles with Vortex.

01-Apr-18
Release date and price? Looking for a solid mechanical for antelope and maybe backup my fixed blades for elk.

01-Apr-18
I know you posted a ton of success photos Matt. One question I do have is this, have you noticed any real penetration problems with the blunt angle of the first part of the blades? Or has that particular angle never been a problem?

Clearly, They’ve designed them that way for a purpose. Just curious as to your experience. Or hunting dads. Or both.

Thanks guys

01-Apr-18
Steve can probably explain the physics of deployment better concerning the design. I will just relate the one and only instance that a head did not open. A hunting partner shot a javelina with one of the black all steel heads. It ran in a 10 foot circle and died. When he picked up the arrow (pass through) the o-ring was still around the blades. Having 7/8" of cutting surface while closed, still cleanly killed the pig. Other then that, no pre-deployments or any other problems.

01-Apr-18
I can't say whether the blade profile has much of an impact on penetration. I would guess that it does but I've never had penetration issues with the heads, pass throughs are the general rule unless heavy bone is hit or the angle is extreme.

One think that is interesting about the Vortex blades is they will bend (rather than break) if they hit something really hard, which seems to allow the arrow to continue to penetrate rather than stop or deflect.

01-Apr-18
Is there a practice head where the blades don't open or there are no blades?

01-Apr-18
Well, from past experience I have found a few ways to practice with the Vortex. I have always just dedicated one broadhead for practicing as mentioned here. Take some bread ties and strip the paper off. Tie it around the body at the same location as the o-ring. twist tie it even with the slot of the head and tuck the extra into the slot after you cut the excess wire off. Replace the o-ring and shoot it. Depending on the target density you should get two to four shots out of it. You may also glue the blades shut at the same time. Be sure and use the safety o-ring at all times...Just in case!

01-Apr-18
My experience is that out of a tuned bow they fly just like field points so extensive BH practice isn't needed.

Even with the methods of keeping the blades in place referenced above, they will still open after just a couple/few of shots.

01-Apr-18
Anyone ever try putting a small weld across the slot to keep the blades from opening?

02-Apr-18
I glue my mechanicals for practice as most often the "practice" heads that are supposed to mimic the actual broadhead weigh more/less and are not of the same design. I liked the Ulmer's because you could practice worry free with them.

02-Apr-18
Gentlemen thank you for your questions, The Vortex 125 all Steel will be available in approximately 8-10 weeks. Hard quartering shots are not an issue due to the fact that the blades are sharpened to the tip, they CUT their way into the animal and not punch like other mechanical heads. Dconcrete The first part of the blade that encounters the animal is sharpened, I have added a photo of the broadhead in the closed position.

02-Apr-18
Good looking head sharp all the way to tip of blade is key in penatration.

05-Apr-18
Good looking head. What will the price point be?

05-Apr-18
I’m anxious to take a look at these now that they are finalized.

05-Apr-18
If it is similar to the 1.0 version of these heads, 7/8".

06-Apr-18
Matt is correct , they will be 7/8 inch in the closed position

06-Apr-18
Steve, I shot the 125gn 2 3/4 in years past with great success. Im can not wait to get my hands on these 125gn all Steel heads! Can we place orders now?

07-Apr-18
No I'm sorry we will not accept orders until we have them in stock. I will keep you all posted.

07-Apr-18
What kind of steel is the ferrule manufactured from?

07-Apr-18
Midwest

I'm sorry but we can not disclose that.

07-Apr-18
Wards It would be nice to see you send some heads to some 3rd party testers whether it’s for a torture test or just a flight test.

07-Apr-18
You can’t disclose the type of steel you use?

09-Apr-18
John Can you recommend any?

12-Apr-18

HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
Crystal Vortex 2.00 125 grain ALL STEEL! 40 # PSE, 24 INCH DRAW LENGTH.
HEAD DOCTOR's embedded Photo
Crystal Vortex 2.00 125 grain ALL STEEL! 40 # PSE, 24 INCH DRAW LENGTH.
Here is an ALL STEEL 125 grain 2 inch Kill. Many Moons Ago.

12-Apr-18

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
In reference to the blades bending, here is a 100G head that shattered a bull Nilgai rib at an extreme angle. Looking forward to trying them on Canadian Black bear in a few weeks. BTW, bull went 34 yards after the shot. Thanks Steven for such a deadly Broadhead.

25-Apr-18
What would you be more interested in....a Vortex 125 grain 2 inch cut or a 100 grain 2 inch cut ALL STEEL Broadhead.

25-Apr-18
I personally would only be interested in the 125 if it’s all steel.

25-Apr-18
100 gr

26-Apr-18
125 for sure! But regardless of weight, quality steel is the better ferrule option.

25-Jul-18
Any update on this? Still looking for an antelope head but it’s about time to get off the pot...

25-Jul-18
We are still working on the material, We had some prototypes made and we were not happy with the durability. When we get it right it will be indestructible.

27-Jul-18
Take your time and get it right. I'm interested in quality steel blades. I know it's hard to dance the line between a high Rockwell Hardness and a flexible blade, but I want something that is hard enough to hold and edge after busting ribs.

09-Oct-18
Steven Ward, are your all steel 125 grain broad Vortex heads ready for sale yet? I looked at your Vortex site here and can seem to find them. Thanks

09-Oct-18
The angle of the blades is so flat, how can it penetrate very well???

10-Oct-18
12yards, these heads are surprising in their penetration. No doubt once the steel ones are done they will probably be the toughest MBH made, but when I first shot them years ago I shared your concerns. I will be doing my own side by side testing with the 2 inch MBH I shoot now. I suspect the vortex will out penetrate.

10-Oct-18
I used a vortex years ago for a season, killed a handful of deer in NY and CT that fall. They worked well enough, good blood trails BUT just ok penetration. My issue is the blade angle is very poor, that flat angle does noting to help penetration and indeeds impedes it. If that was corrected then I would consider them again for sure. The all steel versions look like a good improvement. Its nice to to see comparing keep improving their designs.

10-Oct-18
They made the all steel version many years ago and it was one of the best mechanicals I ever shot. I found that penetration on these mechanicals was better than any other I have ever shot.

10-Oct-18
If everyone using mechanicals cared about penetration, Steelheads would be the most used head on the market.

10-Oct-18
Everyone cares about penetration but not everyone cares about the absolute best penetrating head. I care about penetration and I shoot one of the worst penetrating heads, the Killzone.

11-Oct-18
Im with Bowfreak. Which is why I shoot a heavy arrow. Love the functionality of the killzone but the penetration, or lack of it is a factor. Ill do a penetration test with the all Steel 2" Vortex up against the Killzone then decide which Id rather shoot. Pretty sure Vortex will shine. Still waiting to hear from Wards on these.

11-Oct-18
Their fb page had said they would be available to order last Monday.

12-Oct-18
I tried to find that Nick. ill go back and try again. Not real good with FB in that regard.

12-Oct-18
I agree with testing broadheads. Kill at least 10 animals with a particular broadhead and then make a decision.

12-Oct-18
I grabbed a couple of the 100 grain older heads from Steven when I hunted mule deer with him in August. I killed my mulie with the head and after examining the head it was still perfect and super sharp. I cleaned it and put it back in my quiver. Since then I have taken a handful of whitetail back here at home. After 6 kills all with the same broadhead, the head is still in perfect shape. I have touched up the blades with a file but other than that nothing. I am more than impressed with them and there is no doubt that the stainless steel heads will be even more impressive. I can not wait to try them.

12-Oct-18
Just looked at the images of the head on Facebook. They certainly look tough as nails. I look forward to giving them a try as have always had good luck with the older models.

12-Oct-18
This head has been my head of choice for close to 15 years, very durable, great blood trails, and no penetration issues to speak of.

I understand they should be back on sale very soon. Can't wait as I am almost out of the originals.

15-Oct-18
Vortex 125 Steel 2.0" IS NOW AVAILABLE ON OUR WEBSITE STORE.

27-Nov-18
Steven,

Do you think a 100 gr version will be possible? If so...will it be available by next fall?

Also....If shedding weight and maintaining ferrule strength is the issue, I think a 1.5" or 1.75" would fill a niche for big animals like elk. I would assume the weight could be made up by a little less blade and a little shorter ferrule. Not trying to be a know it all by any means just planting seeds of hope. :)

27-Nov-18
I likes the 125!! Punch power!!

27-Nov-18
I always felt the same way Charlie but I've been shooting 150 gr fixed heads and 150 gr mechanicals for turkeys. It just makes it easy to swap to 100 gr heads by adding a 50gr. Insert weight.

28-Nov-18

Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
Mathewshootrphone's embedded Photo
Worked really well

• Sitka Gear