Mathews Inc.
Third week or four week elk hunt Colora?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Lovehunt11 31-Mar-18
Jaquomo 31-Mar-18
Lovehunt11 31-Mar-18
cmbbulldog 31-Mar-18
Glunt@work 31-Mar-18
wildwilderness 01-Apr-18
Forest bows 01-Apr-18
Ermine 01-Apr-18
cnelk 01-Apr-18
Lovehunt11 01-Apr-18
Forest bows 01-Apr-18
Teeton 01-Apr-18
Jaquomo 01-Apr-18
Glunt@work 01-Apr-18
txhunter58 01-Apr-18
Lovehunt11 01-Apr-18
LINK 02-Apr-18
31-Mar-18
I like go Archery Elk hunt unit 20 Colorado this year. I have only one week hunt. I can go third week or four week. Third week has muzzleloader around, but four week may no more active or Elk got too much pressure. Can you advise which week is better for Elk archery hunt.

31-Mar-18
Do you have the points to draw 20, and more importantly, do you have private land to hunt? The public land in 20 can be really hit or miss no matter what week you go. Either way, I don't think it matters between 3rd or 4th week in that unit.

31-Mar-18
I have 2 points I hunt on public. Plan hunt North West of Estes Park. I may try to get 2 week but 3 or 4 weeks is easy for my vacation book.

31-Mar-18
NT

31-Mar-18
9 out of 10 NR drew with 2 points last year. I live in 20, as Jaq stated I would consider either week equal. If one allows you an extra day or two, that would be my choice. It can be a frustrating unit to hunt. Had some amazing elk action in there but in between long streaks of just trying to find an elk, any elk, to hunt. I haven't hunted it in quite awhile but local reports point to things being about the same as usual. There are some big bulls and enough elk but its just always a different hunt.

01-Apr-18
I would go the 3 rd week. Always had better luck with calling then. By the 4th week I noticed public land elk tend to get pushed onto private or really tough spots.

Also you can call in sick and add a couple days onto the hunt ;)

01-Apr-18
Week 2

01-Apr-18
1st week

01-Apr-18
Remember - the 4th week this year will be the 3rd week next year

01-Apr-18
Thank for input guys. If I go thirds weeks, Do I have to wear orange vest?

01-Apr-18
Yes

01-Apr-18
Is this vest thing new for archery Hunting for third week??? Ed

01-Apr-18
No, not if you're bowhunting. Only need the orange vest if you have a muzzleloader tag, and then you take it off as soon as you step into the timber like most muzzleloader hunters seem to do.

01-Apr-18
I don't know if its "most" but it is pretty common. :^)

You aren't required to wear orange if you go 3rd, but not a bad idea to have an orange cap or vest stashed in the pack for low light hikes, packing out horns or you notice a large pyramid of empty Keystone cans in the other camp at the trailhead.

01-Apr-18
Not me, I don't worry about being seen wearing orange at muzzy distances. and too many crazies out there not to wear it. I even wear blaze camo when I hunt with a bow during muzzy season

01-Apr-18
Last year my wife worried about bear when I was elk hunt in Idaho, this year she may worries about muzzleloader gun around me in Colorado.

02-Apr-18
I started my bowhunt on the last two days of Muzzle loader season this year. I only saw 1 guy once I was out of the pickup and he was about 75 and carrying a recurve. I should have stopped him to see if it was Paul but he didn’t know I was there so I let him go on. ;) I think I’d go 2nd week.

• Sitka Gear