Hoytbowhunter 08-Apr-18
ELKMAN 09-Apr-18
APauls 09-Apr-18
grindersonly 10-Apr-18
Hoytbowhunter 10-Apr-18
leftee 11-Apr-18
Ben Farmer 11-Apr-18
05-Apr-18
For you guys that have shot both, which do you prefer and why?

I realize a guy will have to shoot them both and decide for himself, but shooting both indoors at 20 yards in a pro-shop is different than shooting outdoors in the elements. Now that the Triax has been out for awhile, how are they performing in the field and at longer ranges? It took me a bit to get used to a 30" ATA bow that I shoot now, so wondering about going even shorter? I'm guessing the smaller bow will be sweet for ground blinds and tree stands, but I'm looking for all around performance so as not to end up with 2 different setups. HA!

Let the comments begin. Thanks!

05-Apr-18
I don't know if it's true, but an industry knowledgeable person told me the Triax was going to introduce a slightly longer version next year.

05-Apr-18
Working at a pro shop as you can imagine I shoot a lot of bows. To me the triax is just a stoke with halon cams. It was virtually vibration free and quieter than the halon. The halon just felt better to me because it wasn’t as short as the triax. We have atleast a triax or 2 sold each week. Other than the RX1 I think the triax has been sold the second most this year. You have to try them out and shoot side by side. The short bow is good for hunting west or anywhere spot and stall and also a ground blind. In a tree stand especially where I hunt I’d rather have the halon. Keep your options open though. I shoot hoyt and have only hoyts, I even bought the hyperforce. The realm/realmX I think beat the rx1 this year and that’s coming from a guy who has had only hoyts, nitrum, pro defiant, hyperforce.

05-Apr-18
Stick, I heard the same thing but don't know if it's true either. However, due to various circumstances I can't wait that long and need to make a decision sooner than later.

Hoyt, also due to various circumstances, my decision has to be for an in-stock Mathews which is why I've narrowed down my search to the two listed in the title. Most of my hunting is tree stand hunting, but I do try to get an out of state hunt each year which normally turns out to be a spot-and-stalk hunt.

05-Apr-18
I have shot both and I would buy the Halon 32" bow. Just shot it better. The Triax was very stable but it seemed a bit finicky on release to me. I do have to laugh about 30" or 28"s or 32"s and the talk of ground blinds and western stalks and such. I have killed quite a few deer with a 62" recurve in all sorts of ground blinds and stalking. The difference between 30 and 32"s means nothing. Shawn

05-Apr-18
I own the Halon 32, and I have been hunting and shooting it since I got it last winter. I went in and shot the Triax a few weeks ago and I like my 32 way more! It feels a lot better and I am way more accurate out further with my 32 than the shorter Triax. I just don't like the feel of a shorter bow, either.

05-Apr-18
I have shot both and went with the Halon 32. I have definitely gotten used to the "weight" and I believe that .3 pounds isn't even argument worthy after you deck your bow out it will be a bit hefty either way. That said, I am 6'4 and have a 30' draw so i came into this knowing that I didn't want a bow that had arrows that were longer. Just not my style haha. I robin hood arrows out to 50 and with a touch more practice at longer range I have full confidence that I would drop them at even further distances. The Halon 32 is quiet, stable, and i cannot wait to try it on elk, caribou, moose, sheep, etc. I trust it for short distance and long. But, it is all up to the user. You have to shoot what's right for you! Good luck and shoot straight!

05-Apr-18

elk_addict65's embedded Photo
this is a ping pong ball on a string at 80 yards. i shoot this bow as good if not better than any bow that ive ever owned
this is a ping pong ball on a string at 80 yards. i shoot this bow as good if not better than any bow that ive ever owned
I've shot PSE and Hoyt for the last 15 years, but once i shot the Triax I had to have it and as far as accuracy goes, I think that's up to the archer. I chose the Triax because of a smooth draw, next to no hand shock , and because i wanted a short bow for turkey hunting pop up blinds.

06-Apr-18
I cant help what you believe man, and I'm not saying by no means that i hit it every time (OBVIOUSLY!!!! there's a 3 shot group) but, I will say that i can constantly shoot a 3 or 4 inch group at that distance and I'll hit the ball on average within every 4 shots or so.

06-Apr-18
Nice target!

06-Apr-18
80 yards with 3 arrows, that's one heck of a group. but im with Ohio, I cant see a ping pong ball that far. Nice shooting elk!

06-Apr-18
Halon hands down

06-Apr-18

Accutouch single pin, 12x33 crossover stabilizer QAD rest
Accutouch single pin, 12x33 crossover stabilizer QAD rest
Thank you, the triax is a lot of fun to shoot

06-Apr-18
32 inch 30 inch they are both short bows . 2 inches is not going to make a big difference brace height can . A 37 inch bow with a 7 inch brace height will be more forgiving than a short brace height bow with short axle to axle. I don't known why guys think a 2 inch difference in bows maked a big difference. I work at a bow shop for years and anytime I would sell a bow I would tell the customer to shoot a number of bows that they were interested in and pick the one that felt the best and they were comfortable with.

06-Apr-18
I agree 100% apex, that's exactly what I did I shot the hoyt rx1 turbo which had the smoothest draw ever but I found it to be louder with 10x more hand shock. Honestly the only reason I took the triax over the halon 32 was because it was 4 inches shorter, really couldn't tell much difference between the two, both had almost no hand shock and I thought they were way quieter than the hoyt. It's a personal preference for sure

06-Apr-18
Thanks guys. The Triax is 28" and the Halon 32 is obviously 32". I guess a 2 inch difference from my Creed either way isn't a noticeable issue, but wondering if the 4" difference between the Triax and Halon would be noticeable while shooting longer distances than the 20 yards in the pro-shop?

06-Apr-18
According to P&Y, bows must be a minimum of 30". Does that disqualify Triax kills from P&Y entries??

https://pope-young.org/bowhunting/equipment.asp

Edited to add hyperlink, but doesn't give me the option, so link above.

06-Apr-18

its a crossover telescopic stabilizer 12x33, it made a world of difference on my long shots

06-Apr-18
It does not say 30"s axle to axle, just 30"s. I shoot a ZXT that is 28"s axle to axle but it is over 30"s long. That would be a good question for Charlie. Shawn

06-Apr-18
Well, I don't have to worry about it as I never seem to shoot anything big enough to make book!!

I went and shot both this afternoon. The Halon in the shop had SIGNIFICANTLY more hand vibration than the Triax which was literally dead in the hand on the shot. Both were super smooth and quick. Decisions, decisions.......

06-Apr-18
Hey man go watch the bowsite review on the Triax, it's very enlightening. I promise I'm not trying to sell you a Triax it's just the best bow I've ever owned hands down

06-Apr-18
We sold another triax today and i think it’s tied with the rx-1 for sales. Lots of tall guys buying the triax too which is shocking. I think the realm has been over looked and I think won bow of the year, my opinion coming from a Hoyt only guy. I just wouldn’t buy it because it’s not a Hoyt. If I found something I like better than the nitrum or hyperforce I currently own then maybe I’d buy it but it has quite the competition and that new bowtech is deffinently a competitor. In my opinion the rx1 isn’t worth it. It’s light, bear bow but when it’s fully equipped it’s not much lighter than an average hyper force. However, my hyper force is weighing in at a whopping 13 pounds and if I could redo the setup on the red wrx I’d be shooting for the 8lb range. All things aside there all great bows. Realm, triax and the new hoyts but don’t be biased towards brands look outside the box and shoot the bow that feels the most comfortable and is in your price range. If there was an archery shop that setup bows like one of those Chevy commercials how they wrap the trucks to look like a ford. Except they would blindfold u and make u shoot(safely) I’m sure a lot of people would be surprised what there shooting. And sorry to all the pse lovers out there but I haven’t seen a good bow from them since the bow madness. The carbon air is a waste of money in my opinion and the xpedite shoots like crap. Now that I’m on a rant, the Mathews monster safari is also a waste of money in my opinion. Over $2,000 for an 85lb bow... well you can buy a Hoyt from a few years ago with 80lb limbs and twist the cables up to 85lbs. And I still don’t change my mind that the triax is basically a stoke with halon cams. It’s a great shooting bow though, no doubt.

07-Apr-18
I think that to follow this thread, he should post a follow up thread on what rest to use. I bet that would be the straw that broke the camels back! HAHA all in all I think that you could go just about any avenue. Hoyt and Mathews will be your easy draw, easy tune and best looking aesthetically. Your Elite and Prime will shoot equally as well but will probably be cheaper and may have some tuning issues (just from all the things I've read/seen). Prime is a good choice too, they even send you free strings every so often. PSE... Well I would like to add some positives about PSE but I just dislike them.... But they shoot.... And your Obsessions and Bowtechs I believe will throw a little more power your way, I find them a little less forgiving. But, if you research all these companies their bows weigh about the same, you'll find an equal amount of people who like each said brand. And I will promise you that each one will outperform with their setup. Because it's their setup, they like it. Go out and shoot man!

08-Apr-18
Hoytbowhunter, you say you won't buy one because its not a Hoyt. Then tell every one to be open to different brands? I'm sure I misunderstood what you meant but, that is what you typed.

FWIW, the only brand loyal, to the bone diehard bow owners I have ever met, shot Hoyt's. I just wander why that is the case? I do believe if you put the Mathews name on a few of their offerings over the last 5 or 6 years, the Hoyt diehards would be singing a different tune.

08-Apr-18
I really like Hoytbowhunter's opinion here... Think about the added weight if weight is your concern also.

Good point!

08-Apr-18
WV Mountaineer I said that some of the things that I said were a joke. I liked the new bowtech and the triax was a good shooting bow for sure but I disliked how small it is. My opinion. I won’t buy anything except a Hoyt because of how durable they are and good shooting. The realm would be an exception and I think the realm is taking the lead for the best bow after the nitrum.

09-Apr-18
The Realm X is hands down the best bow Bowtech has ever produced

09-Apr-18
ELKMAN likes to do everything hands down guys cause his knee isn't the greatest right now ;)

10-Apr-18
Hoytbowhunter, curios if you have ever shot a PSE Evolve? I live in Wisconsin, home of Mathews, people don't get much more brand loyal (or brand blind as I call it) than they do around here. And I know of a lot of huge Mathews guys, like shot them all their lives huge that have shot the Evolve and switched. You say PSE hasn't made a good bow since the bow madness so I assume you've tried them all, wondering what your down side was to the Evolve?

10-Apr-18
I have not shot the evolve, I’ve shot multiple pse including their carbon air and carbon stealth, expedite, etc. we do a lot of testing with pse at the shop. I don’t think they make a bad quality bow. I think they aren’t creative. The expedite is a pos in my opinion it shoot like s***. I feel that they think they have a good idea slap it on the bow and just put out what they think will generate the most money. (I mean that for only the expedite) their lower end bows are actually pretty high quality as I’m sure the carbon is but it just didn’t feel right to me, felt cheap to me. I haven’t seen something so innovative since the bow madness from them. That bow kind of put them on the map for being in the high quality bow category, in my opinion of course. Now I have not shot the bear bows, but what I can tell you is that bear has the least problems with their bows. Elite and prime, never shot them, we’re not a dealer but apparently they are very nice also. Just not sure I like the double cam design from prime. I have never had a problem with a Hoyt and that’s why I stick with them. I was shooting my Hyperforce and let down. When I drew back the nick wasn’t on all the way and I shot...yup dry fired my bow. Peep fell out, nothing happened to the bow I thoroughly looked over everything, the cams were perfect and I’ve never had a problem. That’s my testimony for hoyt. As I said before bowtech won bow of the year this year with the realm that thing is awesome especially with a handheld. Feels 10x Better than a index finger release. I’d never buy a handheld, I’ll keep my wiseguy that I punch. Yes, I punch the trigger, yes I’ve done it for years and get constantly criticized but I’ve never missed anything always in the yellow on a 40cm target and never made a poor shot on an animal.

11-Apr-18
Triad. Easily.

11-Apr-18
I shot the Triax and the Halon 32 side by side at the archery shop for about a half hour or so. Like elk addict, I thought the Triax was just a tad quieter and had absolutely 0 hand shock where I could feel just a little in the Halon 32.

I went with the Triax cause it just felt a little better to me. My fear was what it would be like at longer ranges but after shooting it a bunch outside out to 90 yards, fear is gone:)

Absolutely love the Triax!

• Sitka Gear