Paul@thefort 05-Apr-18
Paul@thefort 05-Apr-18
jims 06-Apr-18
Ermine 06-Apr-18
Paul@thefort 06-Apr-18
Ziek 06-Apr-18
darralld 06-Apr-18
05-Apr-18
Headed to Nebraska in a couple of weeks and want to take a bow mounted decoy. Recommendations?

05-Apr-18
Speak for the only one we've used and that's the Heads up decoy. Has worked realy well for us.

05-Apr-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

05-Apr-18
The one I use is the Heads Up but Ultimate Predator Decoy co make one also.

I used the two Heads Up decoys last week and had two toms at 15 yards. Shot high and got lots of feathers.

06-Apr-18
You may want to take a look at some of the reaper decoys that aren't attached to a bow. I find them a lot easier than having to deal with a decoy attached to my bow or shotgun! I also like having a 3-d head and part of a body/wings rather than a photo. It may or may not make a difference? You may notice in Paul's photos that the decoy he uses lets off a glossy appearance compared to the real fan and turkey feathers. I'm not sure if it's just the photos but there's a chance glare could spook birds and if the light isn't just right it may be tough for toms to pick out colors? A lot of guys have great luck with decoys attached to bows but they just aren't for me. There's no doubt that Paul's decoy obviously works!

06-Apr-18
I’ve had great success with the heads up decoy. Birds will just charge in wanting to fight. It can be quite the rush

06-Apr-18

Jim, good point but there does not seem to be any issues with a glossy appearance if there is one. While a picture of the tom surely helps, I think the fanned out tail is the main focal point that the incoming tom is concentrated on. "blind love and aggression".

Just remember to practice with any attached decoy, and when the tom has committed, draw the bow before he gets to within your effective range as he might run up to within a few yards before you know it.

06-Apr-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
I've never used my HeadsUp on the bow, but I often set it up in front of the blind as part of my decoy spread. Maybe it will cover any minor movement a tom might see in the blind, and focus his attention on the decoy so he doesn't notice the blind.

06-Apr-18
Made my own out of an old feather flex jake decoy. Easy to do.

• Sitka Gear