Old School 06-Apr-18
Redheadtwo 06-Apr-18
Genesis 06-Apr-18
JL 06-Apr-18
BOX CALL 06-Apr-18
a'Lish 07-Apr-18
MJNorris 19-Apr-18
06-Apr-18
So my cataract got to the point that it had to go. Had the surgery a few days ago and it went well. New lens gives me nearly 20/20 distance, but zero close. Can't see my pins at all. I was wearing progressive bifocals prior. What have those who've had the surgery done to be able to see to shoot? Back to progressive lens? Clarifier peep?

06-Apr-18
Your brain will adjust a bit. I had the surgery in 2010, and just shoot my bow. Same as you, perfect vision about 6" past my arms. Focus on the target. If the pin blurs a bit, no big deal.

06-Apr-18
steff, what lens? Having my right eye done on May 16th.

06-Apr-18
Had both done and was also wearing the progressive trifocals.I see distance and pins OK,but need 2.50 readers for close .was also told can't donate eyes now.I guess I got adjusted to shooting.

06-Apr-18
Paul, the world will be 2 f stops brighter. You'll be glad you did it.

06-Apr-18
In addition to having cataracts removed from both eyes, I also had astigmatism correction performed at the same time. My gosh what a difference! As bad karma points out., the world is SO much brighter! It's wonderful not to feel like I was looking through smoke or fog all the time! Having the cataracts removed made everything bright again, and the astigmatism correction restored my crisp vision.

Anything past approx 3ft, I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes. Anything closer and I need 2.0 readers in order to see clearly, which is exactly what I was told before the surgery. Although each pin is somewhat fuzzy, at least now I only see one instead of three. ;-)

Once I get settled into my shot, I concentrate on the spot I want to hit rather than the pin anyway, so whether it's fuzzy or not is a moot point for me.

06-Apr-18
I shoot trad, so no big deal. But, while firearms hunting, depending on which gun and scope, I can either see the target OR the cross hairs, not both. It actually helps a lot to use my readers, but not always time allowed to put them on before the shot.

06-Apr-18
Both eye's in '15.

Not a problem shooting. Needed readers after a year or so.

06-Apr-18

Old School's embedded Photo
Old School's embedded Photo
I'm relatively young - mid 40's and had to have cataract surgery on both eyes 2 years ago and also had them fix the astigmatism. I've now got 20/20 distance vision, but up close need readers/progressive lenses. Initially it was difficult shooting - glasses on, clear pins and blurred target. Glasses off, clear target and blurry pins. 2 years later it has improved, but it's still not like having young eyes. I shoot with my progressives and the target is clear and the pin is very slightly blurred.

When I shoot my longbow, its a different story - awesome! The attached picture is the result of a shot with my longbow just a few weeks after cataract surgery.

What is worse is this - my night vision with the artificial lenses just isn't very good. Come sundown I have a hard time picking up a deer/elk in the woods and when I attempt to look through my peep sight and put my pin on them, its just not right. Killer bummer getting down from your stand with 15 minutes of legal shooting light left...best time to be in your stand and you've got to leave.

--Mitch

06-Apr-18
I had my left eye-the really bad one-fixed in October and my right one fixed in December. Vision is now 20/15. Have to wear 2.00 readers and NO glasses!!! I generally shoot trad but I have dusted off my compound. Pins are clearer than ever before.

06-Apr-18
Discuss the bifocal implant option with your docs

06-Apr-18
Had shooting eye (right) done about 3 years ago. I was getting a crystalin lens put in but the lens sack tore during installation and wouldn't support it so the eye doc pulled that lens back out and installed a govt issue lens. Got a few floaters and a small gob floating around now in that right eye but am used to it. Close up I can see the pins ok....with my 1.25 readers on I can see the pins great but the target is a little out of focus. I shoot with out my readers on. The other challenge I had/have is in low light and the bow sight light is turned on....the light glare from the pin makes it hard to see the target down range.

06-Apr-18
One thing I do have now is at night when looking at a light or even lights on TV control box,I have a left eye right upper corner turkey tail fan shape.doc said don't worry about.

07-Apr-18
My wife had cataract surgery on both eyes last year with the crystalin (sp?) lenses put in...while she does not shoot archery, she does shoot a handgun and she tells me that she can see the front sight and the target very clearly. Prior to the surgery, I had discussed this with the doctor (he a rifle shooter) at length and this lead to her having the crystalin lens.

19-Apr-18
Hi there, My father had gone through cataract surgery a few months back. So, after a month he started shooting, but the thing was he was supposed to play very carefully. He use to wear all the required accessories for shooting. But the most important was eyes, So, he always wear wholesale reading glasses from he generally buy from City Sunglass (https://citysunglass.com/product-category/reading-glasses), while shooting to protect his eyes.

• Sitka Gear