bumpinblaze4x4 12-May-18
t-roy 12-May-18
LBshooter 12-May-18
Grasshopper 12-May-18
Arrowone 14-May-18
06-Apr-18

bumpinblaze4x4's embedded Photo
Trophy whitetail hunting (to me) is about so much more than a bucks score. I was blessed enough to share the stand with my wife this past November 4th when she arrowed her first buck! She is an amazing woman, amazing mother, and a killer with her hoyt and after 4 seasons of hunting she finally let an arrow fly and killed her first buck. The story itself would take a long time to read but it was one hell of a hunt; by far my most memorable hunt since my first deer twenty years ago.

We weren't specifically targeting this buck for her but we were fortunate to call him into 25 yards after seeing several other deer on the farm that failed to present a shot opportunity. I knew he was an older buck and i guessed him to be 6.5 years old.

As of today i have the cementum aging results and the Pope and young results and if you're interested, have a guess at the age and score. I will post the results in a couple days!

06-Apr-18

October cam photo

06-Apr-18

06-Apr-18
5.5 and 120 ish hard to tell mass! Congrats to the both of you!! Shawn

06-Apr-18

One of the best (and most relieving) sights i've ever laid eyes on. After an hour and a half blood trail (granted it was a double lung) we were starting to grid search. This was my view as i came around a creek bed. I yelled to my wife "Megan, there's a dead buck in the creek down here!" and bless her heart, she replied "Is it my buck?"

06-Apr-18

06-Apr-18
127, 4.5

06-Apr-18
5.5 and 144, congrats, very nice buck!

06-Apr-18
He looks 5.5 or older. After that it’s terribly hard to judge at least I think so. Looks like he has decent mass. I am going to say he nets 126 and change.

06-Apr-18
Congrats. Nice and heavy. 5.5 and 131 3/8

06-Apr-18
5.5, gross 132, what a beaut!

06-Apr-18
The whole story:

My wife gave birth to our first child last august so she took the fall of 2016 off from hunting (i'm very gracious for her allowing me to hunt as much as i did).

On November 4th we hit the woods for her third hunt of the year; not far from where those trailcam photos were taken. The stand is on the downwind side of a bedding area and we were in the tree around noon right after the hard rains had stopped. Shortly after getting situated (her in the ladder stand, me in my muddy hang on just above her) a nice 2 year old crusied by just out of range. Her goal has always been to hold off for a decent 2 year old or older buck. In the next hour we had two yearling bucks cruise by that she elected to pass on.

At about 2pm a nice (younger) buck appeared; i told her to get ready and she stood and drew; he passed by at about 35 yards and she decided to pass. She is comfortable shooting out to 40 yards but our goal was to keep all shots within 25 yards due to her arrow speed. As he passed i saw another buck coming down the same trail, this was the "big 9" and i knew him to be the oldest buck on the farm. He came by on the same trail without presenting a shot within range. I let him get 50-60 yards before doing a short, quiet grunt. He turned and headed back our way but only came to the top of the ridge (40 yards) to see where the other buck was. When he realized there wasn't another buck, he turned back and headed in the direction he was originally heading. Once he hit about 60 yards i did a snort wheeze hoping that his age may play into more of a dominant role. he did the same thing as before and stopped at 40 yards when he didn't see another buck. Megan had drawn that time (for the second time) but had to let down. I gave it one more shot when he was about 75 yards away; a short tickle of the rattling antlers from my side of the tree. This time he committed, he came in down a trail at 25 yards. Megan drew and i stopped him at 25 yards; she let a perfect arrow fly and we watched him disappear out of sight.

We have been through a lot of ups and down in the tree but i had never seen her so excited; she had the shakes and couldn't believe what happened. We gave it 40 minutes before getting down and finding the arrow which confirmed a good lung shot. We took up the trail heading down the steep hill towards the creek; the trail was easy at first but once we hit the creek we started losing blood. He had crossed the creek twice before we lost his trail. This was about an hour and a half into the blood trail and we marked the last blood. I told megan to start grid searching the narrow stretch of timber between the creek and the cornfield while i would walk the creek checking all crossings for blood. Just a few minutes later i came around the corner to the view above; it was incredible!

I couldn't be more happy for my beautiful wife and sharing this experience was amazing. I dont think we would have successfully harvested this buck had either of us hunted alone; it was a true team effort!

06-Apr-18

06-Apr-18
before I guess...what state?

06-Apr-18
130ish. Maybe a bit more. From the last pic, looks like she lucked out with the broken G4. Score wise anyway.

06-Apr-18
Illinois

Yes, for Net the partially broken G4 helped!

06-Apr-18
Congrats to you both! Stud body on that buck. Congrats to you both.

06-Apr-18
Awesome buck. And to be her first archery buck to boot.

Congrats to her.

06-Apr-18
I'm agreeing with the guys above. 5.5 and either side of 130, but I'm leaning to the upper side. Damn good buck regardless of score, and a happy hunter, and that's the ONLY score that counts. Congrats to both of you !

06-Apr-18
7.5, 133

06-Apr-18
I have a buck that looks identical to that pretty much on my wall at home! A beautiful buck and a great experience for you and your wife. I'll say 4.5 years old and score of 131".

06-Apr-18
Great story and grats to you both. What a great moment that must have been. How tall is your wife?

06-Apr-18
Hmm good question, I believe she is 5ft 5"

06-Apr-18
I love those photos! Congratulations to the wife. I can relate with you over the ups and downs. Great job!

06-Apr-18
Awesome for the both of you. I would say 142, 5.5 years old, old as he is going to get . Forrest

06-Apr-18
I’m thinking 143 and I may be short because of overall mass and that body could be deceiving.

06-Apr-18
6.5 134”s

06-Apr-18
155. 5.5 year old

06-Apr-18
140" 5.5 years old.

Why did the broken G4 help the score?

06-Apr-18
138 4/8" and she looks to be about 29 years old.

06-Apr-18
140" gross - great mass, awesome buck!

06-Apr-18
6.5 - 135" gross

06-Apr-18
Broken G-4 helps because their is not a point to match it on the other side, so it won't be as much of a deduction on net score. I still say mid 120'"s. Shawn

06-Apr-18
Why are guys estimating "gross" when the question was "score"?

06-Apr-18
I will go 4.5 and gross 145 net 140.

06-Apr-18
That buck looks to be every bit of 150 but many have guessed significantly lower. I’m curious now to see the score.

06-Apr-18
141" 7.5 years old.

06-Apr-18
I guess I don't understand how scoring bucks works. Please explain how adding something in, and then deducting the same measurement, somehow lowers the score?

06-Apr-18
138 gross. I don’t do nets. Age tough when it’s all wet. I’d say 4.5. Maybe older

06-Apr-18
8.5 and gross 141

07-Apr-18
Come on Ziek, you're not new here? LOL. :)

07-Apr-18
142 gross. 5.5 years old.

07-Apr-18
Nice Buck & story! Congrats to your wife & you!

07-Apr-18
"Broken G-4 helps because their is not a point to match it on the other side, so it won't be as much of a deduction on net score."

So it's added in for the gross and subtracted out for the net. It seems to me that it wouldn't matter if it's 2 inches or 12 it's a net gain of zero.

07-Apr-18
Ok, so how does a broken G4 help the net score?

07-Apr-18
If that g4 was 12" long, it wouldn't affect the score one bit. It's added, then subtracted like mentioned a couple times already.

Great buck and hunt for you and your wife! 5.5, 128"

07-Apr-18
"Ok, so how does a broken G4 help the net score?"

You're right, it doesn't. My bad.

"..."gross score to equal the Net score ...."

You won't find anywhere on a score sheet something called a "gross score" or "net score". You will find a "sub total" and "Final score". So the terms you're using pervert the intent of the system. For those who want to use "gross" score to represent "everything the animal grew", don't forget to subtract back out the 20 or so inches of air measurement. Now your "140 gross" is only 120. You won't find a "gross" score in earlier record books either. Not until P&Y caved into this ridiculous idea by relatively few hunters, (many that weren't even members, in an attempt to attract them) and added that column into the latest book.

When you kill a great buck, like hers, you don't need to try to inflate the score by quoting a number that is just part of the score calculation.

07-Apr-18
Ziek- there are a lot of guys that don’t care about official score or language. They want to know what the the overall total of inches on the rack is. This helps them get a picture of the overall size when compared to one they may have shot in the past. Final official score doesn’t do that. There are a few people who, like you, hate anybody using the system to describe what size buck they shot. Unfortunately for you gross score is here to stay because it’s easy to do and it gives guys an idea of how big the buck really was. They will exaggerate a little sometimes but then again some people exaggerate the official score also.

07-Apr-18
"...don’t care about official score or language."

I understand that. But since P&Y/B&C is the gold standard in scoring North American big game animals, AND they are basically using a bastardized version of that system, they should be careful to preface it with something like "by my own scoring system..." Of course, then, no one would know what they were talking about. And your reasoning doesn't take into account that a wide rack isn't any more impressive than a taller, narrower one. But yet they still want to include the air measurement. And "gross" score alone doesn't clarify anything.

Example (same deer): I killed a whitetail that grossed 140. I killed a 4X5 whitetail that scored 125. Almost the same length sentence. Which gives a better picture? Adding "gross" to the second description wouldn't add a thing, and adding 4X5 to the first gives you the same picture as the second sentence. So why complicate it after years of clarity? Anything else odd or important about the rack needs to be added in either case. Besides, you're probably just going to take out your iPhone and show him a poorly composed photo anyway. ;-)

Why don't hunters just accept the system that has been in place since records were recorded. That's the ONLY way to gain perspective over time.

I think P&Y should simplify the scoring process. Take measurements of corresponding locations on each side. Double the smaller figure and record it. Add it all up. No deductions, less math, same final score.

07-Apr-18
"Double the smaller figure and record it. Add it all up. No deductions, less math, same final score."

Concur.

In the beginning, too late to start now, It think it would have been better to consider symmetry, as the current system does, but not to the extent to which it is presently emphasized.

Because the typical buck will grow a relatively similar amount of antler on each side, I would have preferred to measure each side and double the smaller side. Not each, main beam, point and circumference. That allows for difference in each item, side to side, but accounts for total growth of each antler.

Like I said, too late to start it that way now, so we should live with the system we have. That’s how I would have done it if I was in charge in the beginning.

I happen to like symmetry and, both being mature and standing next to each other, would shoot a symmetrical buck over a non-typical buck.

07-Apr-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
How about this buck. It's a 307.3 class buck!

07-Apr-18
Oh. I forgot to mention. I'm now using centimeters instead of inches. Sounds much more impressive. ;-)

07-Apr-18
Excellent buck!

My guess is 6.5yo and 134" net P&Y score.

07-Apr-18
I get both sides of the gross-net preferences (no pun intended). If someone says they killed a buck that "scored" 158" and another guy killed one that "scored" 128", what mental picture do you have of the relative size of each buck?

This past year an acquaintance killed one with 158" of antler, but after deductions it ended up netting 128". In held the rack in my hands and I can tell you it is a hell of a lot bigger than a 128" net deer I have.

Personally I like weird racks with character, no matter what the final "score" turns out.

07-Apr-18
BTW, beautiful buck for a beautiful gal!

07-Apr-18
Ziek- I will type slowly so you will understand. I have a 7x6 mainframe 10 that nets 164 I also have a mainframe 6x5 mainframe 10 that nets 164. The 7x6 grosses 184 and the other one grosses 174. Even though they both net within a half inch of each other the 184 gives a better description of just how big it is. As for your example, I have a few 140’s and they are probably similar in size to yours.

07-Apr-18
Congrats to your wife.

P&Y coopted B&C's scoring system, and B&C publishes gross scores. Seems like some of the P&Y guys need to buy their undies a size or two larger.

07-Apr-18
When field judging and looking for a net score I do just like what Blacktail Bob described. I look at both G 1’s and double the shorter one. Then move onto the next and so forth.

The buck is a great deer and one to be proud of. The picture of her holding the rack in the water reveals tine length the best.

07-Apr-18
I agree the system is odd. I have a buck that grosses 163"s but he nets only 133"s as a typical and get just 152"s as a non-typical. I like gross scores as if the buck grew it, it should count. So what does this one score, as far as net anyway? Shawn

07-Apr-18
I'll go with 136" as a 4 1/2 year old.

07-Apr-18
I'm gonna guess 145" net. Lots of mass there and looks pretty even.

07-Apr-18

Scooby-doo's embedded Photo
Like this, he nets 132 and 5/8ths. He has over 44"s in mass measurements alone. He looks a lot bigger then that to me. I know guys will bust my balls cause I like to post this pic. when I get a chance. Shawn

07-Apr-18

This one nets 127 and 3/8ths. Shot from same tree a year apart and you can tell they are related. No matter what the OP's wife scores that is an incredible deer and I hope she kills a bunch more over the years!! Very cool story and great to see the ladies getting it done! Shawn

07-Apr-18

This one nets 127 and 3/8ths. Shot from same tree a year apart and you can tell they are related. No matter what the OP's wife scores that is an incredible deer and I hope she kills a bunch more over the years!! Very cool story and great to see the ladies getting it done! Shawn

07-Apr-18
1boonr.

I understand completely from your first description the comparison between the two, without any mention of "gross". They're both great deer - one with extra non-typical points, the other more symmetrical.

My point is not that guys use "gross" score. It's when that is the only number they use. It doesn't tell the whole story any more than just stating final score. At least when I hear a final score, I have an idea of it's ranking. I always wonder why someone gives a number that stops short of the final score. Maybe it's a statement about not agreeing with the P&Y system, which does give merit to symmetry.

07-Apr-18
You guys should read the thread title again.

07-Apr-18
Huge congrats to your wife....beautiful first buck!

07-Apr-18
Charlie, since when does the thread topic have any bearing on the relevance of subsequent posts? ;-)

07-Apr-18
We're all just killing time waiting for a score.

07-Apr-18
between 130 and 140 both gross and net, mature buck 4.5 or older :)

Congrats on a beautiful buck, thats a dandy anywhere regardless of score or age.

07-Apr-18
Sorry, I got off track as well!! Dying to see the score. Again great buck for the happy hunter!! Congrats again!!! Shawn

07-Apr-18
5.5, 134"

07-Apr-18
An Illinois 3.5 and 137.

07-Apr-18
6.5; 137” Gross :)

07-Apr-18
That is a great buck....love the mass, I love big 8 pointers.

The broken tine DOES help the net score...if it was NOT BROKE the full tine length would be a deduct as there is no matching tine on the other side. So instead of deducting say 7" you are only deducting about 2-3".

There are people that have taken rocks and broke off abnormal points in the field to improve their score.

08-Apr-18
Franklin, can you explain that further? I was never very good at math, but it seems like if you add 7 and subtract 7 it is the same net effect as adding 3 and subtracting 3? An abnormal point is scored differently than a missing or broken typical G point. The abnormal point becomes a straight-up deduction after the net typical score is calculated.

At least that's how its always worked on all the animals I've had officially scored.

08-Apr-18
Beautiful buck. Congrats to your wife! Love the knarly bases. Good mass as well.

139” sub-total

133” net

5.5yr old

08-Apr-18
Lou is right, Franklin is wrong.

08-Apr-18
Blacktail Bob X 2

08-Apr-18
Medicinemann x2

08-Apr-18
“There are people that have taken rocks and broke off abnormal points in the field to improve their score.”

What kinda sick puppy does it take to do that? I personally don’t know anyone that disturbed. Have you heard the saying, if you see something say something? Wow

Where I come from we use nets for fishing... just saying. If symmetry is what I was after I’d shoot a 3 year old 8 pt.

08-Apr-18
Congrats to your wife beautiful buck and the score is???Lewis

08-Apr-18

Topper's embedded Photo
Topper's embedded Photo
I'll jump on the off topic bad wagon! If a deer is not symmetrical and has some non typical point the net score really does a poor job of representing the animal without a lot of ancillary information. Looking at the score sheet this buck nets 113 but if you add all the points, including nontypical, he adds up to a couple tenths below 160. While he isn't a huge deer 113 sure doesn't do him justice.

My guess 5.5 and 132 7/8

08-Apr-18
Awesome mass on this buck, and love the dark horns. I’ma echo the 145”-ish crowd, and would guess him at 5.5.

08-Apr-18
Great buck, don't know the score or the age, but he looks mature, I'd shoot him in a heart beat. Congratulations.

08-Apr-18
Your right Jaq....I am confusing this instance with a truly non- typical point.....hers is a unmatched typical point. Thanks to Drnaln for the clarification.

08-Apr-18
More on the off topic, topic... if I have a buck that has a total of 183" of antler, grosses around 173 and nets 152 and change, which one do I use when describing it to someone? :)

I'm just bumpin' your thread count, Chris.

08-Apr-18
6.5, 137”

08-Apr-18
Good grief guys, I take 48 hours off from the forum and you guys go nuts, lol.

This buck was aged at 7.5 years olds by cementum aging. The gross score is 137 and change and the net is 131 and change.

08-Apr-18
Congrats to your wife again !

This primer in thread hijacking brought to you by the legends of Bowsite ! :-)

08-Apr-18
Congrats to your wife!

08-Apr-18
So if the Bowsite votes to raise the P&Y minimum to 130 he's still in!

Congrats to you both on a beautiful buck.

09-Apr-18
Some pretty good guesses on this thread for score/age! Nice!

Thanks for sharing Bumpin&Blazin.

09-Apr-18
Back is still flat will say 4 1/2 but would not be surprised if he’s a blocky 3 1/2

09-Apr-18
Steve, he's 7 1/2.

09-Apr-18
Very impressive first buck. Congrats to your wife.

09-Apr-18
I'm happy I was close on the score, the only way to truly know a bucks age is to have it forensically aged. I try to age at least one buck a year from the area I hunt, its worth the 25$ for me to know.

Congrats to your wife on a heck of a trophy!

09-Apr-18
Like I said, I have one identical to that on my wall at home! Ha! Mine went 137" net 131" as well which is why I guessed 131"! My buck was only 4.5 years old however.

09-Apr-18
Old warrior buck! Congrats to your wife!

09-Apr-18
Awesome deer. Having that for a first will ruin her!

09-Apr-18
7-1/2....wow!

09-Apr-18
Bumpin Blaze- I was at 6.5, 137" along with buckiller. (WAY off on our age estimate!!) Great deer either way!!! Congrats.

10-May-18

Thought i would share the P&Y display i had made for my wife for Mother's day. The arrow above the frame is the one she shot her buck with. I'm really happy how it turned out!

10-May-18
Ha! I was gonna say 132". Beautiful buck. Congrats to your wife!

10-May-18
Cool

11-May-18
Well done! Love the display.

11-May-18
Lucky guy and a great wife. You will always have the memories of that hunt.

12-May-18
Thanks guys; it was a very very special hunt for me and i know she will love the display. Certainly can not wait for the mount to be finished!

12-May-18
Turned out great, Chris!

12-May-18
Very nice, your be getting some good points for that one.

12-May-18
The smile on her face in the first pic scores a 10, NET with zero points in deductions.

14-May-18
Congrats to both of you and very nice display!!

• Sitka Gear