BIG BEAR 07-Apr-18
ryanrc 07-Apr-18
Nick Muche 07-Apr-18
TURKEY STALKER 07-Apr-18
Nick Muche 07-Apr-18
Overland 07-Apr-18
06-Apr-18
Hey everyone,

Last spring I shot my first bear and was amazed at the cost of rugging a bear. I opted to have the hide tanned and the head done and then I could always add the rugging if I decided to. I just got the bear back and it seems to have shrunk during the tanning process. I don't just love the look of the bear currently and would like to have the "ruffles" in the hide straightened out. Has anyone else ever had one done like this? Or should I just go ahead and get someone to fully rug it?

06-Apr-18

Grape's embedded Photo
When you run out of room the tanned hides look great.
Grape's embedded Photo
When you run out of room the tanned hides look great.

06-Apr-18

Grape's embedded Photo
Grape's embedded Photo

06-Apr-18
If I could do it again I would case skin them out and tan them like Grape did.

06-Apr-18
Mine is tanned and has a head insert already. Im on the fence about putting a rug underneath it....

06-Apr-18

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
I opted to hang the tanned hide with the skull displayed.

06-Apr-18
And they do look great Grape. 8~)

07-Apr-18
I rugged my first, tanned the next half dozen... and will now be giving the rest away moving forward. I like the skulls, the hides I just run out of places to put.

07-Apr-18
I've case skinned a few and they turn out great once tanned! They just take more time initially, from about a 30 minute job to about a 2 hour job. I have a few rugs and a room full of tanned hides, I'll just keep adding to the pile I suppose. The tanned ones are hit and miss, some turn out great and others shrivel up and look terrible.

07-Apr-18
Case skinning them is an awesome idea. But it sounds like a lot of work when your on the mountain.

07-Apr-18
I couldn't believe how expensive the rugs were when I looked into it last. Skinned and tanned for us.

07-Apr-18
What is expensive for a rug?

07-Apr-18
$1,000-$1,200 is what I was quoted for a rug.

I have two little guys hunting and the third will be joining next year, space and cost of rugs for everyone would be money I'd rather spend on hunting. The boys are learning how to do euros so we can do our own skulls and they can make a little extra money doing some for friends too. I told the older two I would pay for the first couple tanned hides then they would need to help out with the rest as the younger brothers start hunting. Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, doing euros, picking horns......plenty of ways for a young man to earn some money and have a goal in mind. In a few years, between MT and ID....we could have 12 bear tags every year:) I doubt we could ever fill em all but we'll be rackn up taxi bills if we don't have a game plan.

07-Apr-18
Yeah, 12-1500 is about right. There is a place in MT that does rugs for much less though. I think around 5-600. The ones I've seen turned out just fine too.

07-Apr-18
Nick- If we get lucky enough to kill a real big one with a beautiful thick coat....I may need that contact of yours.

07-Apr-18
Montana Rug Co.

600$

07-Apr-18
Rugs done right are way nicer. If you don’t have one I’d do that..... if you have somewhere to put it.

07-Apr-18
Rugs By Nancy advertises in Bear Hunting Magazine. She does a real nice custom embroidery with your name and where the bear was killed on the back of the rug. Her husband has a taxidermy shop and Nancy sews up all the rugs. This is in Michigan. I was very happy with mine. $185 a foot for 6 foot and over..... $175 a foot for under 6 foot.....

07-Apr-18
Anyone have a good place to send a green hide to get tanned?

07-Apr-18
Snowy Mountain Tannery in Florence MT.

07-Apr-18
I am headed on my first bear hunt this spring & I have been contemplating this for a few months. I'm about 90% sure I am going with a euro mount and a tanned hide. I don't currently have the room for a rug. Anyone know the going rate for getting a bear skin tanned?

07-Apr-18
2-300 if you do your own fleshing, salting and drying is about right.

07-Apr-18
usafoxx will tan a bear for 25/ft. $100 to flesh it if you don't know how. usafoxx.com

• Sitka Gear