Lever Action 14-Apr-18
Tonybear61 15-Apr-18
timex 15-Apr-18
DMC65 15-Apr-18
ELKMAN 16-Apr-18
Beendare 16-Apr-18
ahunter55 16-Apr-18
09-Apr-18
There's been some recent reference to the 'Average Joe' hunter.

Would you consider yourself an 'Average Joe' hunter?

Or 'Above Average'?

Or 'Below Average'?

09-Apr-18
I consider myself - average - with plenty of luck :)

09-Apr-18
Average joe with above average drive and desire!! Hunt

09-Apr-18

APauls's Link
Facts are most people consider themselves above average - whether you state it openly on the forum or not. As a fairly confident person I am usually in that boat. My wife reminds me of my over-confidence every now and then lol.

On that note, I would consider bowhunters to be above average hunters, and I would consider most bowsiters as above average bowhunters, so we really are the cream of the crop ;)

09-Apr-18
Depends on who I am in the room with....

09-Apr-18
I see myself as average or below average. Mess up way to much, but I spend a lot of time hunting so my patience my be slightly above. At least it is as far as the hunters around here. But I believe I am below average as far as those on here. Twenty years ago I was probably average for here. I do enjoy reading the adventures of the better hunters on here. Greg

09-Apr-18
Above average. Have had the good fortune to hunt and be successful on animals from Alaska to Argentina with my longbow. Also to have lived many years in the mountains to be able to spend a lot of time watching and learning the habits of a lot of different species.

09-Apr-18
Depends on how far from town I am!

09-Apr-18
With elk I am above average, WT average,mule deer way below.

09-Apr-18
I agree with APauls in that most bow hunters are a bit above what the average gun hunter is. I'm not saying that because I'm a bow hunter I'm better than someone who only gun hunts - I definitely don't believe that.

What I'm saying is that in general archery hunters, due to necessity, need to get closer, thus my opinion, it takes a bit more skill to get up-close-and-personal with a big game animal. 25 yards, compared to say 250 yards.

I pass up many, many, close range shots at white tails (10 to 20 yards) and kill a white tail every year, most years multiple deer. I'm not bragging - I'm just saying that I put in a LOT of time and have some very good places to hunt (public and private) that affords me several opportunities every year. I don't think that makes me any better than the next guy that would put in the same amount of time and have the same properties to hunt as me.

Sooooooo, among archery hunters, yes, I'm an average Joe.

09-Apr-18
"Average" bowhunter in the US or Bowsite bowhunter???? Big difference IMO.

Average, maybe a bit below..... for Bowsite.....

09-Apr-18
I'm pretty average. Just a middle class white dude. I spend way too much time and money pursuing this obsession, and by any metric that probably makes me above the mean if we are talking actual statistics here. However, I consider myself representative of this hypothetical average in the sense that I mostly mind my own business, fill the freezer, enjoy the experience, and pass it on to the next generation. The aspirational record book slam type stuff is of no interest or impression to me. I have no connections to the "industry" and absolutely zero desire to make hunting a job. I'm not particularly active in any conservation or hunting organizations which isn't to say that I don't care, just that I'm not the type of dude to jump into that stuff.

I'll be nice here, it's never good to divide our ranks. But the below average can make for some pretty good people-watching. To any hunter that hasn't witnessed one of the big frenzied whitetail openers like PA, WI, MI I highly suggest it for that entertainment value alone is something to behold.

09-Apr-18
I dont target 'Book' animals when I go hunting. I just go. Average areas, with average gear and average time.

If the Good Lord decides to give me an opportunity at a 'Book' animal, its up to me to do the rest.

Ive been fortunate to have taken both B&C and P&Y animals, but that wasnt my intent when I started the day.

09-Apr-18
I can relate to what Hunt said.

09-Apr-18
I know one thing, I've never attempted to be average at anything. And wouldn't be very satisfied rising to the middle of the pack. The problem with this question is how you define being a successful hunter. For me, at least, it's not so much about the pile of carcasses in your wake as it is about the journey.

09-Apr-18
Above average in opportunity and below in skill for me. Frank Noska=above average.

09-Apr-18
You guys realize that we're all here reading this right now because we can't get enough of bowhunting, right? That's certainly not average.

That said, I'm definitely not an "Average Joe." I was born in Minnesota, but grew up in Southern California and moved to Alaska so I could hunt more. Just growing up in SoCal disqualifies me from "Average Joe."

As far as hunting goes, I'd say I'm of average ability. I get myself into the 10% who take 90% of the animals by determination and time spent. I look up to a lot of guys on Bowsite who consistently kill big animals with a bow.

But goals have a lot to do with it. My buddy's parents shoot 2 WT every year with their guns. They want two deer for the freezer each year and could give a lick about antlers. They usually tag out in one day. As far as their goals are concerned, they're really good hunters. I'd consider them above average. They've been filling the freezer in minimal time for decades.

And they are definitely "Average Joes."

09-Apr-18
I'm with Huntman!

09-Apr-18
Some pursue greatness, others have it thrust upon them and for still others, it just happens.

I’ve clawed my way to the middle of average and nobody’s taking it away!!

So for me, an Average Joe in a way above average Province :)

09-Apr-18
Ike, glad to know that being here makes me an above average hunter. It makes sense that were no good hunters until Al Gore invented the internet by starting AT. That's how that went, right? Here this whole time I figured it was my barely manageable ADHD procrastination complex that brought me here.

09-Apr-18
Jeez, I feel like a lot of people have been putting words in my mouth the last 24 hours...

I didn't mean that being on Bowsite makes you an above average hunter. I meant that average hunters aren't obsessing about hunting so much that they're on hunting message boards on a daily basis.

09-Apr-18
...and yet I bet all you guys claiming to be average would look at the person who posted above and below you and say they are also above average. Am I right? Everyone here is too humble, so they say it's the effort that gets them over the top.

I don't know everyone who posted on this thread but I bet almost all of you if you look at success of yourself vs other hunters you know, you do better at whatever criteria you qualify success as. And the results were most likely achieved via effort.

Guess what - it's the same way with everything in life. Business, hockey, or painting. The greatest don't get there being lazy. You think a professional athlete gets to the top because of born skill? Sure does, but only when paired with intense desire and work ethic. No one makes it to the top by accident. I would venture to say that all these guys ^^^^^Who are saying they have above average desire and work ethic are above average hunters in their own mind and those of others as well. Cause fact of the matter is when it comes to hunting or most things, you've got about 10% smart, 90% drive and effort. Then there's also the fact that a guy can put a lot of effort in to get smarter.

On a side note, I've been on BS far too much lately. I need apologize everyone's prob just like shut up already.

09-Apr-18
Just cracking a (bad) joke. These hypothetical sorta debates are just pure silliness anyway. There is only so much constructive conversation to be had.

09-Apr-18
Good post Adam. And no one wants you to shut up. Me on the other hand...

09-Apr-18
I've taken lots of P&Y animals over the many years that I have bow hunted, never a B&C . I consider myself to be average in every aspect. My best quality is spending as much time in the woods in the fall as possible.

09-Apr-18
I am average. Have yet to “master” the western hunting world, but will continue working every year to make myself better.

09-Apr-18
“Talks cheap, but it cost money to sit at the bar.”

Just an average hunter with high aspirations. I’ll let the chips fall from there.

09-Apr-18
I can definitely eat more chicken wings than the average hunter.

09-Apr-18
I consider myself a 125” net typical. But as of late apparently that’s pretty special.

09-Apr-18
No natural born hunting or shooting talent but tons of desire.

Average hunter having above average fun....always.

09-Apr-18
This is a loaded question! It all depends on animal and somewhat weapon choice. For example, I'm above average for elk and bear with either bow or rifle. On the other hand I can't close the deal on a mule deer with a bow, but with a rifle I can't remember not filling my tag.

09-Apr-18
No idea. I don't spend time comparing myself to others when it comes to hunting. I did when I was 20 and sacrificed a lot trying to kill critters. I have been fortunate to go on a few far off hunts and have done well enough tagging stuff with my stick bow to keep myself happy.

09-Apr-18
I am joehunter :-)

09-Apr-18
I would have to say I'm all three. Depends on who I'm hunting with.

09-Apr-18
Below average. No will power. I can't hunt without an outfitter or someone pointing me to a stand.

09-Apr-18
Most people on here aren’t your average joe. My buddy grabs his bow a few weeks before the season, shoots, and calls it a day. Same equipment as the previous decade. No scouting, little prep. I think that’s more descriptive of the average joe.

09-Apr-18
If I think back to some of the atrocious displays of skill I've seen at the local public archery ranges...some of those folks have no business flinging an arrow at a critter, even if it were standing broadside at 20yds. It seems that in just about any pursuit in life I've been in if you look at the entire population of people in that arena, "average" is pretty awful. Christ, with the folks I've met it seems the average hunter is overweight, dusts off their gun/bow a couple weeks before the opener, and calls it quits after hitting opening weekend. I would like to think I'm better than that. In terms of the average bowsite user, my skills are relatively dogsh*t. There are some very accomplished hunters posting to these boards.

09-Apr-18
I do not consider any regular Bowsiter an average joe. Blink twice and you see numerous P&Y animal the occasional booner. That is not average.

Me, I am average in the woods, slightly above average killing animals, and way above average in hunting research. I have hunted for much of my life on a limited budget with limited time and was extremely successful on hunting with bow and gun. All my out of state hunts has been with bow only for many years. I am no big Dan, Frank Noska, Kurt, or willieboat but I do expect to fill my tag every time I go hunting regardless of the percentages. This year the plan is mule deer or elk depending on the draw and whitetail. The average Joe doesn’t have a multiple state hunt plan. This is not your average Joe’s hunt forum and you all make it so. We have a self proclaimed meat hunter that can quote draw statistics on every species in most states. I know many that if I had to choose a guide or them then I would choose them over the guide. Wait, some are guides and some a legends! Thanks Pat for what you created!

09-Apr-18
I've just been lucky that well above average hunters have shown me the way. I owe them all a great deal!

09-Apr-18
For over 20 years I hunted a very large farm. I'm ashamed to say I am only an average hunter but for a few years ( not now ) I was an above average killer. Let me clarify. I'm not ashamed to be an average hunter. I'm ashamed that for a few years I took way too many deer. The only good thing that came of it is all of the deer went to needy families.

09-Apr-18
For over 20 years I hunted a very large farm. I'm ashamed to say I am only an average hunter but for a few years ( not now ) I was an above average killer. Let me clarify. I'm not ashamed to be an average hunter. I'm ashamed that for a few years I took way too many deer. The only good thing that came of it is all of the deer went to needy families.

09-Apr-18
I'm an average Joe for sure

09-Apr-18
I like how HUNT MAN summed it up. I have an absurd amount of drive and determination.

09-Apr-18
Still trying to become an average Joe !

09-Apr-18
Well, I am literally Joehunter! Average no - Not at all. I am always looking for my next great adventure not my next "kill"!

09-Apr-18
"drive and determination"

I like that, let me write it down...... next time Coach starts up on one of her "you're stubborn and knuckle headed" rants I'll have to slip that in.... somewhere.... maybe between a smile and a nod.... that I'm fairly above average at.... =D

"just a gigolo, and everywhere I go...."

09-Apr-18
I agree with Hunt.

"If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire... This old house would have burnt down a long time ago."

But... my wife often refers to me as "God's gift to women and bowhunting" and she's so proud and happy that smiles a special smile after saying it.

09-Apr-18
Enjoy all that 'Drive, Desire & Determination' when you're younger.

You soon realize it turns into a 'Slow Burn' as you get older :)

[Old bull... Young bull thing...]

09-Apr-18
I dunno where i fall. I havent killed half the animal species most here have, i respect the hell outta so many here on bowsite for not just their hunting ability but also the ability to retell the story. As for me, my freezer has usually been full and thats what i want for my family. I'd say im lucky. And blessed. Thats all i know.

09-Apr-18
Being named "Joe" is not a lock on below or above average....joehunter8301 is as prolific a bowhunter as anyone I have known in my 40+ years of bowhunting...I on the other hand "wyliecoyote"...first name Joe, have had a blessed life with maximum opportunity and only mediocre success....I don't shoot real well and I tend to get lazy after a few days.....but I love it !!

09-Apr-18
When comparing myself to the local average Joe I am above average. When comparing myself to the average Bowsite member I am way below average.

09-Apr-18
I’m sorta with Hunt Man. I’m a below average hunter with an above average desire to hunt.

09-Apr-18
Unrelenting pursuit. Being the only one in camp to go out in the morning when the weather is unforgivable. Being the last one back after dark. Planning and thinking about the next hunt/adventure each and every day. To still be looking for the animal you know is dead, that you shot 4 days earlier, until you can hear the prop of the float plane coming to pick you up. Practicing. Always looking at ways to improve be it equipment, form or mental attitude. Eating healthy, staying active. Finding balance in ones life. Sharing, introducing others to the outdoors be it family or friends or that kid down the road that no one seems to care about. "Average Joe" ? ? ? Its a life style, and like alot of others on this site its who I am.

09-Apr-18
I just pray for the health to be there and, give thanks for the kill when I do. I have never had a problem killing what I hunt. Which isn't nearly as much as many on here. But, I do believe that a driven hunter will find a way to kill anything if he has the time. God Bless

All I pray for is the health to do it and, to be a lethal predator. If the Lord gives me the opportunity to be there, I try my best to get what I came for.

10-Apr-18
I agree with Hunt Man . On Elk I think I am above average especially in my desire to share the Elk experience with anyone.

10-Apr-18
My idea of an "average joe hunter" would be someone that enjoys scouting and hunting public land on their own on a blue collar budget. No need to buy a governor's tag each year or hire an outfitter with a posey of hunters that points to a "spider" bull and say's, "shoot that one"! There's nothing more satisfying than harvesting critters on your own after putting in the time and boot leather.

10-Apr-18
I am pretty much just an average joe that hunts the tag (s) I draw.

I might be somewhat above average when it comes to scouting pre-season and post season multiple states/multiple species, over the many years past and hopefully into the future.

#LovinLife

Robb

10-Apr-18
Way below average equipment-wise. No camo, bait, food plots, tree stands, pop-up blind, etc. Ground hunting, longbow and wood arrows only. Above average as far as hunting hard, average as far as success. A very low deer density up here factors in, along with baiters making deer nocturnal. Therefore, I hunt the remote areas where deer can be patterned and I can ground hunt in peace.

10-Apr-18
I don't consider myself average, maybe below. when people ask me for hunting advise, most of the time I let them know right off 'i'm not the Great White Hunter but I will tell you my opinion and experience'.

10-Apr-18
Good post EF. Work definitely limits a lot of us, along with family commitments. I lose the first month and a half of bow season to coaching and have only the last half of rifle season to bowhunt. Locals up here work 6 days a week, but at least we have Sunday hunting. With spring coaching, turkey hunting is impossible. Road kill tastes good.

10-Apr-18
I hunt more than the average Joe. for my area anyway. I spend way more time preparing for the season than him too. I also am more selective than him and therefore "less successful" than him.

10-Apr-18
I think of the "average Joe hunter" as a guy who hunts two weekends in a year. I'm not average. I would guess that very few of us that visit Bowsite in April are average. Right now the "average Joe hunter" isn't thinking about how to tighten his group, which tags he'll draw, nor if "manscaping" can improve his hunting experience.

I was born with average hunting skills. But I have worked to study the ecosystem, the quarry, and my weapon. I take big chunks of time away from my work and family in order to hunt in several states for several species. I've steered hunting laws in my state and gotten several people to become life long hunters. I've done a lot of habitat work and have prosecuted trespassers. I'm definitely WAY more committed to hunting and it's future than the "average Joe hunter". Hunting means more to me than most hunters. And I also "manscape".

10-Apr-18
"I'm not average. I would guess that very few of us that visit Bowsite in April are average. Right now the "average Joe hunter" isn't thinking about how to tighten his group, which tags he'll draw, nor if "manscaping" can improve his hunting experience."

Elkstabber, Agreed... even on the manscape part. Nobody wants to run around with a jungle crotch.

10-Apr-18
Marty Stouffer! The guy who gouged a trail through protected forest for access to elk and staged animals to kill each other for video? Great videos though. I remember watching those growing up.

10-Apr-18
According to my state's deer report, anywhere from 16-20% of bowhunters are successful in a given year. I've averaged about 1.5 deer per year in my life of bowhunting. In that regard, I believe I am above average. That said, I sure don't feel like I am and I am a complete failure when it comes to mature bucks in my high pressure state. I feel like I am decent at reading the whitetail woods and setting up in a good spot. Other species I know very little and am very well below average. Bottom of the barrel type below average.

10-Apr-18
I have no idea what an "average hunter" is, as I think it varies greatly according to where you live and where you hunt.

Where I hunt (mostly), I'm probably above average in hours on stand, fairly average on meat in the freezer, and average on "trophy" quality animals. This is mostly a guess on my part though, as I hunt alone most of the time, don't facebook or even talk to many other hunters besides a very small group of friends and family. I very seldom talk hunting with anyone except on here or TexasBowHunter. But.....like EF, I'm way above average in my mind on deer passed, especially does with young fawns, and particularly 3.5 years and younger bucks. One property I hunt is replete with nice young eight points and I've passed multiples in a season. It doesn't bother me at all since I'm interested in older bucks and not antlers. In fact, I've hunted this property for three years, had numerous encounters with 115"/125" bucks, and I've yet to shoot at one. I have three other places to hunt, and to kill one on this place, he must be a jaw dropper ! I get my "watching lots of deer" fix here and I get my venison elsewhere. I have killed two does in three years however, simply because we have plenty.

10-Apr-18
I am not average, I am just CRAZY about bow hunting and when I am not doing it, I am thinking about it. Yea, lots of passion and desire to achieve. Stay strong and healthy my friends! my best, Paul

10-Apr-18
The average joe's don't want me. (And I don't blame them!)

10-Apr-18
What the heck is avg?

All I know is when I was younger I was a much better shooter than hunter...

Now its the opposite

10-Apr-18
I do always get a kick out of the guys who feel sorry for me because I haven't filled my tag yet. The guys (especially gun guys) who wacked a "big 6" opening morning because they are far above average.

10-Apr-18
Above average budget, above average opportunity, below average skill is what I would say for me! I usually get to take on average two trips a year at about a week each. So typically I'm spending less than 20 days in the field a year as I don't get out much locally. But the trips I get to take are typically a step above what the "average" hunter is doing if I had to guess. In short I spend a lot of money on tag soup, especially lately!

10-Apr-18
LOL! Exactly Beendare.

10-Apr-18
Above average, average and sometimes below average.

10-Apr-18
There is nothing average about anyone who pursues game with a Bow and Arrow,

10-Apr-18
?? Oh Lord it’s hard to be humble ??

10-Apr-18
As far as bowhunting, I put a lot of effort into being "average"...don't judge me!

10-Apr-18
Beendare ..... nicely put!

Compared to many here I'm "WAY below average" considering I've only hunted deer and turkeys (not including other small game). Compared to the "average" eastern whitetail bowhunter I am probably "above average" for effort/ tactics? While only "average" for success rate...

10-Apr-18
For Bowsite, I am below average not only in size, but quantity of animals... That being said, overall, I think I am way above average on the number of animals I have taken, even compared to most gun hunters I know, I am routinely more successful year to year.

Desire, Drive and Time.

10-Apr-18
I haven't read all the responses, or even fully understand what cnelk is wanting for an answer. But, I consider myself an above average hunter. It's not from the size, number, or type of animals I kill, but from my desire and drive I put into hunting every year.

10-Apr-18
LOL, not worried about any Heirarchy. I just remember being bummed to find out the videos weren't legit wild videos. As I said, they were great videos. But if you need to knock me down to validate yourself I'm cool with that ;)

10-Apr-18
Above average with whitetails, below average with elk.

10-Apr-18
The statistics for average success are tracked pretty well by most G&F departments. I am not sure those average success numbers are a good standard to rate across the board and provide the metrics for the "average joe hunter".

There is a lot more to it than simply beating the average take for whatever species you are hunting.

It would be very interesting to be able to get into the details to quantify the average for the whole aspect of hunting. What kind of involvement, effort, time and money does the average joe spend per year on:

- Involvement in hunting/conservation organizations - Mentorship of youth and adults - Hunting Licenses - Research of animal behavior, habitat, hunting areas, additional species, out of state hunting, hunting in other countries, etc. - Scouting hunting areas in off season - Pursuit or actual hunting time - Practice with their hunting equipment - Habitat improvement and assistance with organizations to improve habitat for game and non-game species - Distance travelled to hunt

How much of the "average joe's " life revolves around hunting? From my experience and what I have seen, it is very limited. I personally know a number of hunters that would be considered to be at the very top of the list with respect to their abilities and what they have accomplished. Each of them has basically developed and structured their entire lives - work, family, where they live, etc. - around their passion for hunting.

The "average joe" is not as driven and consumed by the passion and, in comparison, spends a very small portion of their life hunting.

10-Apr-18
Treeline, I’d say that’s a pretty fair assessment.

10-Apr-18
Treeline summed that up damn well!

10-Apr-18
This site really needs a thumbs up emoji

10-Apr-18
Tavis, great assessment!! Kurt

10-Apr-18
I do not think anyone on Bowsite strives to be average or they more than likely would not have made it to this forum. Bowsite’s lowest common denominator is above what I consider the average Joe’s of the hunting world.

The average joe does not eat wild game twelve months of the year. The average guy dream of out of state hunts but typically don’t make it. Likewise, he needs a kitchen pass instead of having created a lifestyle supportive of his passion. The average Joe thinks of hunting weeks before the season not from the end of last season or two to three years from now. Bowsite is not your average site and all of you make it a great resource.

10-Apr-18
Does the average kindergartener take the bathroom pass to use the pay phone to call and see if his dad got one? :). Been obsessed since just after birth

10-Apr-18
I AM WAY BELOW AVERAGE BUT INCREDIBLY LUCKY WITH MY BOW IN MY HAND

10-Apr-18
If am honest with myself I am below average. Even without defining average on this site. I have become completely obsessed with habitat improvement and most times I would rather be working on that over hunting.

I have tried a few species but for me at least nothing has compared to the whitetail. I don’t own 100s of acres so making it the right 40 has been my obsession.

I have taken 3 P&Y bucks over the last 5 years with the biggest coming in at 146 3/8”. I always dream of shooting an absolute stud but as I age the shooting part feels like it’s slowly leaving me. Maybe because of the habitat I create or maybe as a father of four I just have other desires. I still do things in the woods I know I shouldn’t. It’s November 7th and sometimes a stroll in the woods is what I want more than to be perched in a stand. So ya that prolly makes me a below average hunter. But I am okay with that.

10-Apr-18
BANG!! I am #100. Nothing average about that.

10-Apr-18
This may have been said, I didn't read all the responses. I consider the "Average Joe" hunter to be a very casual hunter. They spend 1-5 days a year in the woods, almost never scout and are very rarely involved in hunting legislation. I would say that pretty much every one on Bowsite is much above average. We have a lot of average joe/weekend warrior types here in WI. Most of them just gun hunt opening weekend. The ones that "bowhunt" are usually toting crossbows and tramping around public land right after light during late Oct/early Nov.

10-Apr-18
The thing that cracks me up most is the “average joe” hunter that comes on bowsite and spews his “average” knowledge like its gospel

10-Apr-18
Average Joe 1-5 days a year. I would say that is well below average Joe. I know a bunch of average Joe bowhunters. They actually hunt 15-20 days a year but they may sit the same stand half of those sits. They also rarely scout and if they are lucky they kill a deer every couple years. Now I know guys who hunt the same amount of time, but they devote that time to learning patterns and what the deer are doing and they too may only kill a deer every couple of years, but the deer they kill will open some eyes. My point is that I 100% agree with Hunt Man!! It is all about the drive and determination to get it done!! Shawn

11-Apr-18
I am an above average bow-shot, and a gearhead. However, on the bowsite, I'm probably an average, or below average, bow-hunter. I practice a lot, tune my own bows, and make my own arrows. I am in awe with some of the DIY guys on bowsite. I just don't have the time to get to that level. I do the best I can, and have had many great times bow hunting. Although I like shooting guns, I can't remember of the last time I took a gun hunting; my freezers are already full:-)

11-Apr-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
In my 76 years & 62 in Archery/bowhunting (I say I started in 1956 when I joined organized archery) I have been below average, average, above average & unbeatable. Now, I'm just the old guy no one pays much attention to.

11-Apr-18
Below average here.

11-Apr-18
OTCWill that is funny! I did the same thing when I was in grade school only the principal let me use his phone as he was a hunter too.

11-Apr-18
otcWill, your post made me pee my pants. No, wait, that was you ;)

12-Apr-18
I am an average hunter on getting close to and harvesting doe's. I'm way way way below average on harvesting anything with antlers on it. In 42 years of hunting I've never taken a buck that would score close to 100"........ God willing, maybe this season!

12-Apr-18
The average Bowhunter doesn’t practice, Hunt, study, or plan much. Most on here are probably above average just because there are so many that buy tags but don’t get too serious about it.

12-Apr-18
I agree with Brad, with one caveat. Luck plays a big part, but I'm a firm believer you have a huge influence on how lucky you are. As the saying goes, the more I'm prepared, the luckier I get.

12-Apr-18
I’m just you’re average Joe hunter. When luck isn’t on my side, sheer hard headedness and determination makes up the difference. I’ve learned a lot over the years, but seem to learn something new every time I go hunting. I have 6 different NA species and am working towards 10. Im not sure where that puts me in the heap, but I have a personal goal that I’m working towards.

12-Apr-18
ahutner55, if you looked like the pic you posted, we'd all pay 100% attention to you. :^) Whether you knew what you were saying or not.

12-Apr-18
Well I choose a tradbow...there’s nothing average about that. I feel like I’m pretty average in skill but have way more fun and enjoyment than most :)

13-Apr-18
I also liked Treeline's post and agree with Pigsticker as well.

About 5 years ago, California F&G sent out a poll to hunters and one of the questions was, "How many days per year do you hunt? a) 0 b) 1-2 c) 3-4 d) 5+

I remember thinking, huh? Seriously? Where's e, f, and g? And why are they so interested in differentiating between people who hunt 1-2 days and those that hunt 3-4? Is that even a difference? They don't care about the difference in numbers of guys who hunt 5-6 days a year and those that hunt 50, 60, 70, 80+?

And then it hit me - while it seemed perfectly normal to hunt that many days per year, those of us who do are a small minority.

13-Apr-18
Need a good rotation job to get to that 80+ category... Still trying here!

13-Apr-18
Yeah.... I hunt pretty much at least once a week. Thats 52, but with weather, etc. not quite all. Add in holidays..... back to 52 easy. A week on Lanai.... Two weeks elk.....

I may not be in the 80's yet..... but solidly in the 70's... =D

13-Apr-18

13-Apr-18
I used to go to work and show pictures of my good buck, bull, bear or whatever I killed for the year. My coworkers would always say the same thing, "gosh your so lucky"! I would reply yes I sure am, and the more I shoot, the more I workout, the more I travel out of state and hunt....the luckier I keep getting! I really don't believe any one of them ever understood that statement......

13-Apr-18
I must say, we are all pretty proud of our humility.

14-Apr-18
I usta be on the upper level of "Average Joe", but Below Average is becoming the norm.

-Joe

14-Apr-18
I would rather be an ‘average Joe’ bow hunter, with plenty of TIME to get the job done versus the ‘above average Joe’, bow hunter, with very little TIME!!

14-Apr-18
Internet bowhunter? I am no longer average. Average internet guy is a gadget hog (which I used to be) and opinionated beyond the norm. Small town Bowhunter? Yeah. That is me.

15-Apr-18
I have bowhunted 40 + years shot animals with recurve and compound, none in the books but 3 mounts and six sets of antlers on the wall. It took until I was 50 to shoot a 10 pt and recover it. My hunting skills always seem to be better than my archery skills (yeah missed some monsters in my day), but I do have a collection of 12 Robin Hoods displayed with the antlers( one with a recurve). I hunt mostly DIY on public land, so when I go a year or two without filing a tag I still feel pretty special. Both my kids now have taken up archery and will be hunting turkeys this spring. That all in all I think is above average, at least with the circle of friends and family I have. However my nephew who I help raised and son are now kicking my butt at most 3-D shoots...

15-Apr-18
I have always had a knack for figuring where deer will be. Really not that complicated just got to think based on the given weather conditions if you were a deer where would you be. Plus a little gut hunch luck. So to me a good bowhunter constantly gets close to animals & I am above average at that

15-Apr-18
I guess I've never thought about making the comparison between myself and another as far as average , above or below . My obsession with being in the woods started very early in life and has been a very personal journey. Learning never stops and the desire to hunt and fish and participate in the natural world gets me as excited at over 50 yrs old as it ever has. Thinking about it though, some day I hope to be above average cause I hate being mediocre at anything.

16-Apr-18
We are definitely a minority Ike. And thank god for that... ;^)

16-Apr-18
I don't think the "Avg Joe Hunter" even spends time on Bowsite.

Because if they do....so many good tips by Brad and many others......they would no longer be 'Avg'

16-Apr-18

I figure if I win the NFAA Field Nationals this July in my division I will be above average, if I get 2nd average & 3rd, below average..

• Sitka Gear