Jaquomo 11-Apr-18
TD 11-Apr-18
Elkoholic 12-Apr-18
elvspec 12-Apr-18
LaGriz 12-Apr-18
South Farm 12-Apr-18
elvspec 12-Apr-18
10-Apr-18
Have very light and compact rain gear that I often pack, but on a 2014 Dall hunt with my son, (his tag) I took one of the 13 oz tarps. Very compact. Easy to stuff for quick access.

We were hit by short rain fairly regularly. Instead of putting on rain gear which is inconvenient and time consuming we just pulled the tarp out and sat on a rock until the rain quit.

10-Apr-18
I always carry a small para-tarp in my backpack on mountain hunts for that very reason. They also make a nice shelter for a meat cache.

11-Apr-18
I have a cuben tarp that is very light and nice to have when needed. Used it in earnest on a fishing trip with a friend and our 3 daughters - really saved the day.

11-Apr-18
How are you pitching the tyvek?

I use tyvek as a ground cloth for my mat in floorless shelters.

But curious how you guys are pitching it as a tarp

I found much lighter tarp options out there compared to Tyvek. But cost more obviously

11-Apr-18
Okay, never pitched the tarp and yes it was expensive, $99 for 9' x 12'. Not Tyvek.

11-Apr-18
8' X 10' Siltarp is very light and compact and with one trekking pole (or stick) you can quickly pitch a tent for two. I also have a 6' X 8' Sil-Poncho. Makes a small shelter or just pull it over your whole body, pack still on, and carry on. Google "youtube 8' X 10' tarp pitch" to see a bunch of easy and very practical ways to use a simple tarp for for shelter.

Tyvek is indeed cheap, but it is heavier, bulkier and not that handy to pitch. But like lots of gear, for some cheapest is best'est while others consider buying top end gear money well spent.

11-Apr-18
I have ridden out more than a few heavy downpours wearing a big trash bag with a hole cut for my face. Doesn't make for a good shelter for two, but the price is hard to beat.

11-Apr-18
Military grade poncho is what I carry.

11-Apr-18
Do the sil-nylon tarps and ponchos remain waterproof when there is constant contact with skin/clothing or when there is pooling (when used as a tarp)?

11-Apr-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I used this Kelty Noah's Tarp 9x9 to cover my mt tent for extra protection while elk hunting. I would surely consider it as a bivy shelter in good/medium weather or even rain and light snow if needed. Weight was 1.7 # and the cost was $49. Well constructed, good tie downs, rope and anchors included.

11-Apr-18
I have a Kifaru Paratarp that I've never used, only set up to seam seal. I've carried it in my pack a few times during threatening weather forecasts but never got around to using it. It's basically brand new, weighs only a pound. Great ultralight shelter or auxiliary tarp for a backpack camp.

If anyone is interested I'll make you a great deal. PM me.

11-Apr-18
I have a Kifaru Paratarp that I've never used, only set up to seam seal. I've carried it in my pack a few times during threatening weather forecasts but never got around to using it. It's basically brand new, weighs only a pound. Great ultralight shelter or auxiliary tarp for a backpack camp.

If anyone is interested I'll make you a great deal. PM me.

11-Apr-18
We always pack a silnylon cat-cut tarp 10x10 if I recall. Mostly use it as a camp shelter for cooking and hanging out in. Sometimes we set it up..... other times we don't. Would be easy to take on a mountain hunt, it's not much bigger than a coffee cup all packed away, just a few oz. Wasn't cheap, about a $100 if I recall. Good gear though. Was worried about durability as it seemed to be made out of butterfly wings.... but pretty tough stuff really.

If you're looking into something like that, get one with sewn in webbing loops, not grommets. The cat-cut in theory helps to pitch it tighter. Like using the reflective tent cord as well.

If mainly for temporary/emergency use, mountain showers and such I'd look more to the quality poncho/tarp type of shelter. Like stated in the OP, quick to get on and use, also covers your gear, pack, etc. Been looking at a few of those..... research for now.

12-Apr-18
Hey jaquomo I sent you a private message about your paratarp

12-Apr-18
I've got one of the Noahs Tarps Paul mentioned as well. I bought it for around $20 on sale. Its setup to use in different configurations and I've used it a bunch. Even use it at the beach for the girls with a couple of poles. One of the best buys I've ever made

12-Apr-18

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
My go to tarp is a Seek Out Side DST. Multiple tie-outs and a re-enforced patch in the center. Designed to use a trekking poll, or a cut poll to raise the center height. There are multiple pitches that can be used with this style tarp. Flying-Diamond being the most common of pitches. $129 is not cheep but quality is very good. Needs to be seam sealed and weighs right at 1lb. Can be combined with a floor-less T-pee as a porch, with a nest or a bivy, or used as a glassing shelter, dinning fly/gear shelter, meat cache . LaGriz

12-Apr-18
Google Gorilla Tarp...great quality design at a fraction of the price of the major brands.

12-Apr-18

elvspec's Link
Kelty Noahs Tarp. I have the twelve which is a nice upgrade for the minimal amount of weight increase.

• Sitka Gear