drycreek 12-Apr-18
Glunker 12-Apr-18
Scrappy 13-Apr-18
bfisherman11 13-Apr-18
Scott/IL 14-Apr-18
BullBuster 14-Apr-18
sitO 14-Apr-18
12-Apr-18
I have a patch in one of my plots that gets shaded by a couple big oaks. Usually I have some clover there that will grow but it is sparse.... I wish I could plant some peas, beans or something else but figure EVERYTHING needs sun....

Anyhow, any suggestions? No big deal. Its just a 50' x 30' patch out of my whole plot but I wanted to experiment here. Ha

Bill

12-Apr-18
It’s not just the shade, the roots on them oaks are taking up all the water in that area.

12-Apr-18
Not only that - Oaks have a very acidic system that will just about kill anything below it but moss. I've tried about everything and if it weren't for them being nice acorn producers, I would make firewood out of them.

12-Apr-18
Yes, all of the above.

12-Apr-18
I assume walnut trees are even harder to plant close too. Leaves are sparse so shade is less a problem than oaks but walnut husk are extra acidic? Any food plot compatible with walnuts.

13-Apr-18
Better stay out of those shady areas, you might get mugged or raped or killed. Didn't your momma teach you no better?

13-Apr-18
Ha Scrappy, well a few deer have met their end in that spot... LOL

14-Apr-18
Try giving winter rye and oats a go. I seem to have pretty good luck with it in some shady areas and deer love it.

14-Apr-18
Lime around trees. Won’t hurt them.

14-Apr-18
Newsflash...Oaks produce acorns, leave it be and just friggin hunt

• Sitka Gear